Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm picking up my first summit this week, when it comes to mountain sleds I'm defiantly a rookie. I'm torn between the 2016 summit 154 PTek, and the 2016 SP 146 Etec. What are the differences between the Sport and SP? would "upgrading" to a SP be worth it for a Rookie rider? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Sport:
Xp chassis
ptek motor
T-motion
Ds2 skis
2.25 flexedge track
Non rebuildables shocks

SP
XM chassis
Etec
T motion
Ds2 skis with Ras2
2.5 flexedge track
Non rebuildables shocks

I have a sport and went back and forth, half the guys say you really can't tell the difference between Sport and xm, other half say you can really tell the difference. Which ever you get I would get by next week while rebated are on. You can get a sport for around $7699 sp for $9000

·
Registered
8 Posts
my biggest concern is the PTek Motor, I'm worried about it reliability. Which ever one I buy comes with a 3 year warranty so it may not be an issue, is the 146 and easier to ride then a 154?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Supposedly ptek got more reliable every year after 2009, fingers crossed:) Do you ride at high elevation in deep? There most guys would say 154" What's the price difference if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the highest elevation would be 25-2600 feet, and that will be a rare occurrence, the price on sleds is really nuts here. the difference in the 154 Ptek and the ETec is approx $3500

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
$3500 is a lot of ching for the Etec. Etec will have better re sale though. I can't give you to much info on either motor as I only have about 30 miles on my ptek, but I did a lot of searching for info on here and other sites. And a lot of guys were really happy with their sports, and obviously everyone loves the Etec. You'll have a nice warranty with either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get the 800etec, 146 is a good sled, 154 is nice too, but I was in the same boat as you, then decided on the 800etec....no regrets here. I ride with guys on the 154 sleds , there are some differences, but personally I think it depends on the rider skill and abilities too.

I'm pleased with the 146 for now, but also consider you have a chance to use new chassis technology vs the old, why go backwards...not that the XP is bad, but as I say why go back ?

Good luck either way you go.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Tec it all the way ! Stupid good on fuel and oil e-tec ! Sumerisation feature. More power, nicer throttle response etc. Went through 3 800r engines. sold sled ! Piece of doo doo. Broken crank, piston failures. Go for the Tec. 800r was basically junk from the start,sorry, unless your cheap and unload in a year or so, but everybody wants a tec.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ptek is a great value, I love mine. Engine internals are the same as etek, power is the same, mine is neck and neck with every xm I've ridden with. If you put on lots of miles, the Ptek guzzles oil and at $40. a gallon I suppose it could add up. The sport has 36" front, t-motion, good skis. Needs a 2.5" track though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are there are accessories you guys recommend getting at the dealer upon pickup? I was planning on a gas caddy, summit seat bag, full body skid plate. Are tunnel and rail reinforcements needed? also, if I went with the Ptek, is the CVT Cooling system a good idea? or maybe the S module reinforcement kit?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Cvt cooler should be with it already. Most guys recommend grip n rip, skid plate always a good idea. Storage, there a ton of good options for bags and caddy's. Which sled you gonna get?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ptek is fine but when you roll it out of a stuck and have to pull it 5-10 times to get it started, it gets really old.
Etec with it's one pull (if you're not too tired) is the way to go.
Not near enough of a reason. First, quit getting stuck so much, second, if you must roll your sled over just hold the throttle wide open and pull ......hard, oh and put your purse down first, it will start on third pull if not second.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts