Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone gotten enough miles on there new 129" mxz's to say there thoughts on them? Would really like to hear from people coming off 120" mxz onto a 2016.

I got 85 miles on my 16 x 800 this past weekend.... Conditions weren't the best for a review, but I did feel it either pushing in the corners or ski lifting if I got enough bite. So far im not blown away by the handling of this sled.

This is my first ski-doo. I've ridden arctic-cat my last being a 2013 f800 snopro. I switched from cat because I rode my dads 2013 mxzx 800 shorty and was FLOORED by how well it handled.

My new one I put the stock 4" on the outside and put 6" shapers in the center. I have an ice attack track.

I started my ride with everything setup soft, torsion spring on 2 (i'm 170lbs without clothes) and coupler blocks on 2.

A few miles down the trail I had wicked inside ski lift so I cranked the coupler to 3...it was a little better but still liftting so i went all the way to 4.

After a few miles I was starting to get the hang of how it handled, but not overly impressed as it seemed to push if I came in to hard, and skis violently lifted on sharp corners when the outside ski caught grip.

IM HOPING that it was just poor early conditions and not that this new 129" isnt as good handling as the 120's were.

Curious on anyone elses thoughts, or if anyone has some suggestions to me for setting my sled up better.

I did set my sag and its exactly 2.5"

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the 600 x with a 129" ice attak and I absolutely love it so far. Doesn't push at all for me but that might be because it's the 600. I've rode in all kinds of conditions and have been super impressed with how it handles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whats your weight and suspension/ski setup?

Let me say Im not here complaining bashing the sled. I think the sleds freaking amazing. Pulls light a freight train, and doesnt handle BAD, I was just expecting it to handle better I guess is what im saying...hoping it was conditions and maybe my setup needs tweaking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Put 192 miles on mine so far in Gaylord Michigan. Absolutely love it. Came off a 08 shorty. hit 110 on trail 7. But the sled also soaks up the bumps n corners on rails. Should get some more miles on this weekend in ny.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Glad you guys are liking yours.... Curious to hear your suspension setups and rider weight.

I do not have the quick adjust package.

Ive got my front ski springs on 1

Front skid shock all the way loose

Rear torsion skid springs on 2

couplers on 3

sag at 2.5"

I have not played with the rebound knobs at all

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm 240 geared up. Front shocks r half way. Front rear is half way. Torsion and couplers at 1. I am going to pic sled soon and then I'll change torsion springs to two or three depending on how hard it hooks. Was passing my buddies on there axis pro x 800s all weekend in corners.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I really need more time on it to say one way or the other. I didn't ride it hard and lean hard this past weekend because the conditions were scarce. Mine is not an xrs, but i get your drift.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I love mine. Not quite as flickable as the 120" but handles much better then the Gade I had last year. I noticed it more stable then the 120 at high speeds. Hooks up very well and with R-motion it doesn't matter what length it rides amazing. It seems like the perfect compromise between the 120 and 137.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the noob question, but what exactly do the rebound knobs do? I assume they control how fast or slow the suspension bounces back?

·
Registered
2022 Mach Z
1,071 Posts
From everything I've read I would put ur rebound and compression knobs all in the middle, I'm aroun 210 with gear, left my preload on front shocks and front skid shock where it was from factory, set my torsion at 2 with 2 inches of sag and couplers on 2 and it handles Awsome. Only have 140 miles so far so have to mess with it more this weekend

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. Im seeing a lot of positive reviews from xrs guys. Maybe this new chasis likes the suspension a little stiffer?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Put 1000 miles on my 129 last season, no noticeable difference in handling coming off a 120 the previous season. I did go from C&A skis on the 120 to pilot 6.9s on the 129 that made a bigger difference than anything.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the stock skis that come on the 2016x and per my dealer I moved the stock 4" carbides to the outside of the ski and installed 6" shaper bars to the center. Is that what most guys do? Or is there a better route?

·
Registered
430 Posts
2016 1200 x's with 900 miles and 800 miles. Coming off a shorty and a gade. Really like the 129. Shorty never hooked up, gade was to long at times. Really love the handling of these sleds with ease of adjustments.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts