Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Never had a brake rattle!

Bob

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Guys, it's been a great run. I have retired and will be moving on. I live in Venice Florida and am really enjoying the sunshine. I have gotten back into one of my favorite hobbies, Slot Car Racing, 1/24 & 1/32 Scale. Remodeling my garage currently and will be building a track of my own.

I thank everyone for their kind comments and making my thread one of the most viewed threads on DOO Talk. I started the thread as there was very little on the 900 Ace and what it could be. The guys that followed my recommendations to the T, discovered the 900 Ace was a real sleeper and performed very well and surprising many larger cc sleds. The guys that did not follow my recommendations and short cut the mods, did not have the success many of you did. There are no short cuts and it takes time and dedication to reap the benefits of performance mods! I sold my sled and some may have read the follow up thread that was written, if not, here is a link to one very happy snowmobiler;

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1600251-review-of-bar549-modified-900-ace-blizzard/

I wish I still had this sled!

I did build a clone and if anyone is interested, please contact me and I will put you in touch with the owner.

I will stop in from time to time to see what is going on, but it's time to move on.

Will miss the site and many friends that I have made here. I will leave you with one last thing, remember this, "Life is to short, live and enjoy every day as it was your last"

Bob

·
Super Moderator
6,696 Posts
Guys, it's been a great run. I have retired and will be moving on. I live in Venice Florida and am really enjoying the sunshine. I have gotten back into one of my favorite hobbies, Slot Car Racing, 1/24 & 1/32 Scale. Remodeling my garage currently and will be building a track of my own.

I thank everyone for their kind comments and making my thread one of the most viewed threads on DOO Talk. I started the thread as there was very little on the 900 Ace and what it could be. The guys that followed my recommendations to the T, discovered the 900 Ace was a real sleeper and performed very well and surprising many larger cc sleds. The guys that did not follow my recommendations and short cut the mods, did not have the success many of you did. There are no short cuts and it takes time and dedication to reap the benefits of performance mods! I sold my sled and some may have read the follow up thread that was written, if not here is a link to one very happy snowmobiler;

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1600251-review-of-bar549-modified-900-ace-blizzard/

I wish I still had this sled!

I did build a clone and if anyone is interested, please contact me and I will put you in touch with the owner.

I will stop in from time to time to see what is going on, but it's time to move on.

Will miss the site and many friends that I have made here. I will leave you with one last thing, remember this, "Life is to short, live and enjoy every day as it was your last"

Bob
Bob...... I spend part of the year not far from you in Cape Coral but head back north during sledding season.... just can't give it up yet! I'll be down in the Cape until mid-May so maybe we can meet up for lunch some time.

Thanks for all of your contributions!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Bob, If you ever get the itch to ride, I have a 900 blizzard waiting for you :) :checkerd

·
boost junkie
11,784 Posts
bob, just switch to seadoo

or sxs

enjoy Fl bro

I still have your old 1200

Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an expedition LE...My aim is to get a smoother clutch at take off. Not really looking to go warp speed. So from what I read the slider are just better than the roller (Mine had some flat spots). Since the Hex Slider are better, my thought was to put them on but keep everything stock...

I am not sure what you mean by « Full shift » ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
The Hex Slides will but up against the bump on the end of the ramp, limiting shift out. You can probably get away with it with out any issues other than a slight loss at top end. Full shift is when the primary pushes the belt to the top of the clutch. Typically you are at slight over drive when the belt is about 3/8 inch from top of primary with the E-Drive.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Hex Slides will but up against the bump on the end of the ramp, limiting shift out. You can probably get away with it with out any issues other than a slight loss at top end. Full shift is when the primary pushes the belt to the top of the clutch. Typically you are at slight over drive when the belt is about 3/8 inch from top of primary with the E-Drive.

Bob
Many Thank's Bob. This will be a test with the 735 and the Hex slides. Loosing top end is not really bad. I looking for a better, smoother clutch at the lower speed. Having the flat spot on my rollers was giving me an erratic low speed. After reading your pretty long post...I really like it, I wanted to fix this flaw in the clutch and upgrade to something better. God knows, maybe I will continue the Mod to get better speed one day.

Hope Florida is treating you well :) We went down to below freezing last night here in Quebec and got a very tiny bit of snow.
Take care and thank you for taking your time to reply to my post
Cheers

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
Bob, If you ever get the itch to ride, I have a 900 blizzard waiting for you :) :checkerd

That was well over a quarter mile run!

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have owned this sled since new and have 2000+ miles of fun, making improvements with updated components and tuning. By no means with what I am about to share with you, is an absolute and you may or may not experience the same results. I will be giving you my true findings with performance and evaluating the products and service I received from the vendors. All of the parts and expense involved has come out of my own wallet. My wife cannot understand why I cannot leave any thing stock, but she is very supportive. Most of the testing has been done by seat of the pants field testing. I plan to have DYNO results for you with regards to overall state of tune, muffler / can comparisons before the season starts. Some may ask why a 900 ACE and not a 1200? Because I have always liked working with smaller displacement engines and getting the most out of them. Let me give you a little back ground about me. I am 62 years old and semi retired as of this year. Been sledding since early 70's and have owned and/or ridden many sleds from Polaris, Yamaha and Ski Doo. I was in the automotive field for 28+ years (ASE Technician, Service Writer, Service Manager, Service Director for Parts and Service). Worked for G.M. Proving Grounds in the 80's as an Engineering Tech. I worked on proto types 10 years into the future, was on the Baja 1000 Factory Race Team - this was way cool! While at G.M. Worked on many cool projects (GM80 front wheel drive Camaro, yes front wheel drive, it would out run a Corvette in the slalom course and drag racing. It was funny, once the Y Car Team (Corvette) got wind of it, all hell broke loose. GM cancelled the project because they would not have any other car that they produce, beat a Corvette. Also worked on a Fuel Injected Turbo Charge Chevette - 20 psi boost, this thing was a rocket). I am a self taught (welder, lathe & mill operator). Had my own flow bench and dyno when I built kart engines. I have drag raced cars. Raced go karts on the local, regional and national circuit (WKA - World Karting Association). I owned my own kart shop and built race motors for many clients all over the united states. My engines have been on many winning local, regional championship winners, also three WKA National Champion Title Wins. Before WKA allowed ground cams in the stock class, we along with many other engine builders built a fixture for twisting cams, to get the specs we where looking for (we had a 7 degree tolorance we could play with (stock factory specs), what a difference a little twist in the right direction would make). I had the opportunity to be a WKA Regional Race Director and Tech Official for three years. This is not to be taken as to beat my chest but to let you know that I have have been around the block a few times. In no way do I claim to be a professional and or expert at any of this, just have had some great experiences over my life time and have learned alot and still have the desire to learn alot more. I have always done most of my tuning and testing in the field, although I have used a flow bench and dyno, the real results are from field testing. I have a six sense when it comes to tuning and have been successful at it. So stay tuned as this will take some time to document for you and to answer many questions I am sure you will have. UpDate 2018: Now use a Turbo Dynamics Data Collector for testing in the field.

Thank You for tuning in.

Bob

View attachment 1615602
Hey Bob, My brother has a 2021 renegade with a 600etech, I have a 2019 renegade 900ace. I take him out of the hole up to 40mph, then it's over. If I do what you recommend with both clutches and your secret helix, how will it compare to his stock 600?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
You could run right with him or even beat him. If your current clutch's are stock you will see a major improvement. Must have good traction.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could run right with him or even beat him. If your current clutch's are stock you will see a major improvement. Must have good traction.

Bob
They say that if you gain something, you loose something when you change clutching, like more low end torque you loose top end for example. But listening to your videos you make it sound like that is not the case. can you explain please? I would love to do these changes if it is a win win.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
There is always a give take with any and all mods. Most clutching from the factory with any manufacture can be improved on. With the 900 ACE N.A. it was clutched very soft and the factory springs sagged very quickly resulting in poor "High Performance" operation. For every day riding it was great, but not so great for the performance guys and gals. If clutch mods done per my thread, you will see as much as a 5 sled length difference in a quarter mile run, harder pull off from corners and much improved acceleration up to 80 MPH. There is no down sides to this set up. Mileage, trail manners are excellent. If you have read the responses from this thread and many others, you will know that this set up works. Also make sure you watch my videos "click on link below"!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They say that if you gain something, you loose something when you change clutching, like more low end torque you loose top end for example. But listening to your videos you make it sound like that is not the case. can you explain please? I would love to do these changes if it is a win win.
I bought Bob's blizzard last year. If you do the mods bob prescribes you will not be disappointed.
Many of the 900ace turbo owners that I ride with have been surprised at how fast my blizzard accelerates from 0-80

Reactions: bar549

·
Registered
2016 Grand Touring LE 900 Ace
5 Posts
I bought Bob's blizzard last year. If you do the mods bob prescribes you will not be disappointed.
Many of the 900ace turbo owners that I ride with have been surprised at how fast my blizzard accelerates from 0-80
As a new to Ski-Doo guy but sledding since 73 this is a great thread. Just got my springs yesterday. Summer project to go through the clutching (16 900 Touring)

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is always a give take with any and all mods. Most clutching from the factory with any manufacture can be improved on. With the 900 ACE N.A. it was clutched very soft and the factory springs sagged very quickly resulting in poor "High Performance" operation. For every day riding it was great, but not so great for the performance guys and gals. If clutch mods done per my thread, you will see as much as a 5 sled length difference in a quarter mile run, harder pull off from corners and much improved acceleration up to 80 MPH. There is no down sides to this set up. Mileage, trail manners are excellent. If you have read the responses from this thread and many others, you will know that this set up works. Also make sure you watch my videos "click on link below"!
Can you put together this setup and sell it to me as a kit. Springs, kiwi o-rings, your special helix?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #600 ·
Sorry, I am retired and live in Florida.

Bob

581 - 600 of 617 Posts