Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new to me used sled. I've been on a 1200 a few years ago at a demo ride, and liked it a lot. I've never been on a 900, so I'm torn between the new XS chassis with Rmotion or the 1200 with the SC5. This is the few used options that I've found in my budget. I'm currently on a 770 Renegade, but ride on trail majority of the time. I'm not worried about the top speed because I believe the 900 will still do 80 plus.

Can anybody give me a first hand opinion?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had a a Gade X 1200 in the XR chassis and just did a week trip on a 900 Gade, the 900 feels much lighter to me...granted I did not own them back to back. The 1200 has more power, but I really enjoyed the 900 and the xs looks so much more refined compared to the XR. Anyway to take a quick spin on a 9??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I moved to an Enduro 900 this year from a 2013 TNT 800. The 900 is great and I don't miss the 800. I personally think the Enduro 900 is the best trail cruising sled out there after 2000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was 50 degrees here today, not much snow left. There's still snow in the woods, but fading fast. I might be able to get a demo ride if I hurry. I'm leaning to the 900. I don't think there would be a problem with the power, as I don't recall many wanting more. I do like the idea of the XS and Rmotion.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have owned both and have run 4-6 thousand miles on each. The 900 is much more nimble and easier handling in all conditions. The only reason to go 1200 is if you want the power for top end running. For most trail riding the 900 is superior.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you do an advanced search for "review" as a keyword and search for it in "titles only" and confine it to the 900 ACE forum you will find a good number of extensive reviews.

I think that now that the 1200 comes in the XS chassis (with iTC), then 900 or 1200 is more the choice. Not that much difference in price and weight either.

My guess is that, for same year (2016+)sleds, the 1200 will always have higher resale value than the 900 and will justify the difference in initial cost.

·
Registered
223 Posts
80 on the 900 speedo is closer to 70 than it is 80. The rush is gone from the 900. For me this is a good portion of the reason I ride. I have the 900 Renegade, it is a great trail sled, very comfortable, I'm not sore after a long day on the trail, it pulls hard corner to corner and all that but when you get to the big trail it lays down and goes to sleep leaving me with that

empty feeling. basically it sucks.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If cruising down a safe fast trail or lake at 50-70 MPH is not fast enough for you, buy a 1200. The need for speed is in the head of the rider. If you want to occasionally go 100 MPH buy a 1200.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
I own a 2010 Renegade 1200 and a 2015 Renegade 900.

You said yourself you don't care about top speed. I can say hands down the newer 900 handles and rides better. Completely different suspensions front and rear the 2015 is simply more advanced and refined.

So based exclusively on that, get the 900. Is money a concern? If you wanna save $5,000-ish, get the older 1200 it's a fine sled.

Just gotta say it seems like a very odd shopping list...it's not like these 2 machines will be anywhere close to each other in price. I would have more understanding of your question was asking us to compare a brand new 2016 900 to a demo 2015 1200 or something and the prices were exactly the same. Now you have a legit debate.

But there's really no comparing a 2010 Doo with a 2016 Doo. Other than the chassis itself being nearly identical and sharing a few specs they're totally different sleds. Only you can make this call.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My 2010 1200 was my favorite sled. Until I got my 900. Put 14000 on my 1200, 12000 on the 900 now. The 1200 pulls much harder above 60, other than that the 900 is a better trail sled, and thats what I do, ride trails.If you just ride the lakes and the rail beds, you may want the 1200. And dont get into the hype that the 1200 is a faster sled in the woods, its not, trail riding is 90% rider, the 900 is just a little lighter in the front end and easier after long days.My next sled will be another 900, with a little clutch work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would tell you to use caution when soley using reviews to base your decision on. The same sled will make one person giddy and another hates it. You can see that right in this thread. It's all about what YOU like and want in a sled and how you ride. Everything that has been said about the 900 in this thread is accurate, both positve and negative. It makes some people happy, but not others. Only you can decide that. I read and trusted all the glowing reviews on the 900 and bought a 2016 900 Renegade without ever riding one. I only got 300 miles on it this season so I didn't get a lot of time to form an opinion but there are some things I like and others I don't. I like it, but don't love it.

It's pretty much how everyone has described it. Smooth, quiet, plenty of low end torque, but lacking in top speed. Only you can decide if you will miss the 100 MPH runs. I personally prefer my 600 Etec for the high speed pulls but could live with the 900 if necessary. I mostly trail ride and the opportunity to open it up are not that prevelant. If you are a lake rider you might miss it more. I can tell you one thing that most would agree with, the Rmotion is worth every penny. It's a world of differencee in ride quality.

I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful when reading reviews and take into consideration what kind of rider wrote that review. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I have been ridding since I was 15 and now am 60 and owned many of sleds. The 900 ACE is by far the best trail sled I have ever owned. They sell fast and I believe the resale will be better than a 1200 for many reasons (mileage, insurance, quiet, nimble sled, quick sled). If you want hands down the best trail sled, buy a 900 ACE. If your after 100+ MPH go for the 1200. I have seen on the dream meter 96 MPH on a snowy trail, plenty fast for me. I do trail riding and pull off the corner is what it is for me. If your a good rider, you will leave the pack behind in twisty trails, because your are putting the power to the snow and not spinning all the time, to much power can slow you down in twisty trails. Any one that does not like the sled wants top end speed, its not needed for trail ridding. I would highly recommend you test ride one first. I have had 600cc and 700cc sleds and prefer the 900 ACE any day over those sleds. Most people that want the big CC sleds is for the Macho reason only and cannot use the power they produce. They think they can and it just makes them feel like a big guy, but when the 900 ACE smokes them on a nice trail ride, they turn into little sheep and you can just smile. I just did it to a Viper :smile_old:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I rode my 2016 enduro for almost 3000 miles with 1200s & 800 etecs . It proved quite capable of keeping up and catching up :wink_old:

16 backpack trip snowmobile 185.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have been ridding since I was 15 and now am 60 and owned many of sleds. The 900 ACE is by far the best trail sled I have ever owned. They sell fast and I believe the resale will be better than a 1200 for many reasons (mileage, insurance, quiet, nimble sled, quick sled). If you want hands down the best trail sled, buy a 900 ACE. If your after 100+ MPH go for the 1200. I have seen on the dream meter 96 MPH on a snowy trail, plenty fast for me. I do trail riding and pull off the corner is what it is for me. If your a good rider, you will leave the pack behind in twisty trails, because your are putting the power to the snow and not spinning all the time, to much power can slow you down in twisty trails. Any one that does not like the sled wants top end speed, its not needed for trail ridding. I would highly recommend you test ride one first. I have had 600cc and 700cc sleds and prefer the 900 ACE any day over those sleds. Most people that want the big CC sleds is for the Macho reason only and cannot use the power they produce. They think they can and it just makes them feel like a big guy, but when the 900 ACE smokes them on a nice trail ride, they turn into little sheep and you can just smile. I just did it to a Viper :smile_old:

Reactions: Davis6412

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all of the great reviews and opinions. Yes this does seem like an odd shopping list, but from what I have found, it's close. (I may have a good line on the 2016 900, used) I have found a few newer 1200's, but they are more than what the wife and I have agreed upon. I'm thinking that the 900 is going to be a great sled for me. And if I want more, then it will be a great sled for the wife.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thank you for all of the great reviews and opinions. Yes this does seem like an odd shopping list, but from what I have found, it's close. (I may have a good line on the 2016 900, used) I have found a few newer 1200's, but they are more than what the wife and I have agreed upon. I'm thinking that the 900 is going to be a great sled for me. And if I want more, then it will be a great sled for the wife.
There is quite a list of folks that bought the 900 thinking it would be a great sled for the wife. After spending some time on them many of these folks found the 900 to be far more capable than the numbers suggest and have bought one for themselves.

I typically like big HP but I find the 900 extremely capable for trail riding and I like it better than my previous 600 E-tec and 1200. It is the one sled that I plan on keeping for a long time.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
If you buy a 900 ACE and decide you do not like it, which I doubt, it will be an easy sale. There are a lot of people looking for them.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Still waiting to hear if the 900 was going to be available for a good price. In the meantime I ran across a 2011 Renegade 1200 X with good miles, and in great shape. It was in my budget, so I put a down payment on it today. I'll be traveling on Good Friday to pick it up. Tough decision to make. Don't think I could have gone wrong either way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts