Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've put around 250 miles on so far on my new sled. I love the machine but am having some issues with the front end that I don't know are normal. All I have to compare it to is my 2013 600 Renegade. All suspension settings are stock (all shocks and couplers set at 1), except per below. I've got two issues:

1) some darting which got better when I put new 6" carbides on and moved the stockers to the outside. I also moved the center skid spring to 2.

2) It seems like the front end bounces quite a bit, especially in the stutter bumps.

The ride is very smooth in the rear. Does not seem stiff nor does it bounce. Very nice. But the skiis are bouncing a lot and I can really feel it in the handle bars. It's like it's not absorbing the bumps like it should. My 600 Renegade does not do that, it is much smoother in the small stutter bumps.

I could be looking at this wrong but it seems if I tighten the front shocks it would make the problem worse. They would get even stiffer right? Plus, my darting may come back.

Anyone else notice this and what do you suggest? I just haven't had an opportunity to make many adjustments.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi,

I've put around 250 miles on so far on my new sled. I love the machine but am having some issues with the front end that I don't know are normal. All I have to compare it to is my 2013 600 Renegade. All suspension settings are stock (all shocks and couplers set at 1), except per below. I've got two issues:

1) some darting which got better when I put new 6" carbides on and moved the stockers to the outside. I also moved the center skid spring to 2.

2) It seems like the front end bounces quite a bit, especially in the stutter bumps.

The ride is very smooth in the rear. Does not seem stiff nor does it bounce. Very nice. But the skiis are bouncing a lot and I can really feel it in the handle bars. It's like it's not absorbing the bumps like it should. My 600 Renegade does not do that, it is much smoother in the small stutter bumps.

I could be looking at this wrong but it seems if I tighten the front shocks it would make the problem worse. They would get even stiffer right? Plus, my darting may come back.

Anyone else notice this and what do you suggest? I just haven't had an opportunity to make many adjustments.

Thanks
stay with light settings on the front shocks, I prefer this as it lessens darting but the trade off is a little push in the turns, but I ride aggressively in the turns and am not afraid to exert a little pressure to get the carbides to "bite".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The darting I can deal with, it's the bouncing front end that bothers me most. What's up with that?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes, the Renegade has a lot of feedback thru the handlebars. I have the same set up as you including middle spring on #2.

Today I turned the ski springs as soft as they would go, but the ride wasn't quite as good, felt like this adjustment made the sled feel like the middle spring was controlling the ride of the rear suspension instead of the rear springs. ie the sled was now being held up by the middle spring instead of equally by all springs.

Tomorrow I am going to try all settings on @1 including middle spring, but with ski springs as soft as they will go. This probably won't work though, it is close to stock settings (except ski spring all the way soft) and I didn't care for stock settings very much.

mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me know how your adjustments turn out for you. So you can turn your front shocks less than 1?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Got about 250 miles on today, started out with dusting of snow, 6 inches by end of the day.

Tried all settings on #1 and ski springs full soft: less than #1.

Sled railed on the early harder trails.

Still too much feedback thru handlebars.

Rear suspension felt somewhat harsh, like just riding on rear springs instead of equally on rear and middle springs.

Later hit softer trail plus 5-6 inches of new fluff. My theory of too much ski pressure equals ski push proved right. Sloppy handling in late after noon, no ski bite.

So at this point by far best combo is everything on #1 except middle spring on #2 (one tighter than softest).

mike

·
Registered
602 Posts
Your shocks installed upside down by chance?
Seen this on a new 900 Expo, installed upside down, very bouncy ride. The new owner did't notice till it was pointed out to him.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your shocks installed upside down by chance?
Seen this on a new 900 Expo, installed upside down, very bouncy ride. The new owner did't notice till it was pointed out to him.
Interesting. I'll have to check that but won't be able to for a couple weeks. I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got about 250 miles on today, started out with dusting of snow, 6 inches by end of the day.

Tried all settings on #1 and ski springs full soft: less than #1.

Sled railed on the early harder trails.

Still too much feedback thru handlebars.

Rear suspension felt somewhat harsh, like just riding on rear springs instead of equally on rear and middle springs.

Later hit softer trail plus 5-6 inches of new fluff. My theory of too much ski pressure equals ski push proved right. Sloppy handling in late after noon, no ski bite.

So at this point by far best combo is everything on #1 except middle spring on #2 (one tighter than softest).

mike
Were you able to reduce the handlebar feedback at all?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Feed back at handlebars was little difference yesterday.

Thanks about the info on upside down shocks, I will check other sleds at motel to compare to mine, but quite sure they are correct.

mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same skis on a 2005 renegade 800 ho was also darting I added the Woody's navigator to the skis and had no more issues with the darting will be adding it to my 2016 Renegade Adrenaline

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Go extreme on the adjustments on exact same section of trail.

When sled rides like you don't like it stop and adjust softer and re ride same section of trail.

Ride again but adjust much firmer if going softer didn't make you happy.

X shocks or aftermarket comp/rebound adjustable might be next.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. I'll have to check that but won't be able to for a couple weeks. I hope that's all it is.
Well, unfortunately that was not it. I looked at some pictures of my sled and the shocks are on right.

Anyone else notice their front end bouncing?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Today was a 250 loop with fast trails but areas that got up to 18 inches of fluff couple days ago. Thinking big drifts in fields, moguls from so much snow, wooped up bumps on every uphill.

Overall most of the trails on todays loop had been groomed. Started out from hotel as groomed, and hard from the minus 10 F temps.

30 miles out hit lots of soft trails that did not set up, and of course drifted fields, uphill moguls etc., rough river running, every imaginable type of bump.

Bumps were soft mostly. But all sizes, shapes, and hit at all fast speeds.

Skis #2 1/2, Mid #2, rear #3 , cplr #2.

At the high speeds all day, wow, set up took everything thrown at it and begged for more. Foot to foot and a half moguls at 80. Sunday drive.

Small stutters, never felt em. Hardly any feed back from handlebars. My younger partners on 12 GSX and Pro S Axxsys, where's the Advil?

The old man: hotel, drink, best riding day yet. In over 50 yrs old riding, never experienced a suspension that worked like todays.

Not sure how this set up will work when trails harden, but thank you SkiDoo, a day to remember!

mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info Mikerider. I'll give this setup a try when I get the chance to ride again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts