Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2016 etec with 5600 miles. Serviced at dealer in October. No issues know from seller.

I rode about 40 miles and it started to run poorly. At certain speeds (initially around 70) it wouldn't go any faster (like it had a governor on it) even if I pinned it. Then it would gradually do this at lower speeds to a point it would not go over 30 MPH. Turned off and it would seem to "reset" and then do it at 60 again. I was able to ride 140 miles but kept doing this (so frustrating).

Took to ski doo dealer. No error codes. They said the belt looked "green" and replaced it. I rode it and got it up to 90. Then it did it again at 80 and then 60 and then 30-40.

RPM would suddenly go from 7200 to 5000.

I am having the fuel filters replaced next.

Has anybody else had this issue? I'm afraid the filters will not fix the problem. If you ride this and don't ride long or get it up to a higher speed you may not recreate the problem. (Dealer had it up to 65 and ran fine for them after replacing the belt.

It is so frustrating since I just bought this and never had a problem with my 09 etec 600.

Help!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If it was dropping from 7200 to 5000, it was probably not the belt. Not to mention, the belts are supposed to be green, when you they go all black, you have got into an overheat. May want to try another dealer, I would loose faith after the belt change based on color.

Have the plugs been changed recently? Your right in that mileage range. What about secondary rollers, take a look at them with a flashlight and make sure there not broke. Have you tried draining gas and refilling? Could it be a bad fill up? Possibly a rave vale sticking?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm also thinking RAVE valves, did they clean them when they "serviced" it? Mine once started sticking, would give poor performance on either the top end or bottom end depending on which position they would stick in. This did give a check engine light though when it would occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

They checked the plugs. All good. I ran the fuel almost empty and added Sta-bil. I think I asked them about the valves and they said there should be an error code. Seems like a fuel delivery issue. Filters on order. I'll keep you posted. Let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
29,365 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue to me.

Do you run non-ethanol fuel? If yes have you run any isopropyl in it? If not get some in there now, it could be water in the fuel and your getting an injector icing up.

The other obvious one is fuel filters.

On a side note, your dealer is an idiot, the new belts are supposed to be green. That was $150-$200 you didn't need to spend.

Reactions: timbo48

·
E-Tec Rules
33,590 Posts
Check fuel pressure. Get good tester kit. T it on to fuel line and watch gauge at idle. Then ride it and see if it drops. Then you know its the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I also own a 2016 800 etec, I had Very similar thing happening. I replaced the fuel pump and all my problems went away.
I had to replace the fuel pump on my 2014 800 ETEC as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts