Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's alot of disappointment here about what BRP didn't release (I'm kinda in this camp too btw), but it might be worth peoples while to consider a few things...

Doo chassis, suspensions, and engines are the best total packages out there and have been refined over years of consumer testing. A case in point is the nearly unchanged 1200. Compare it to a new Yamacat Viper... The Yamacat is roughly the same weight (and weight bias) as the XR , roughly the same horsepower, has an inferior rear suspension to the R-motion, and is undoubtably going to have alot more "issues" over time than the Doo. It's "new" however, while the Doo 1200 is antiquated right? No, the XR is simply refined whereas the Yamacat is just pretty and different.

The same holds for the new Axys. The E-Tec 800 was released in 10.5 and since then has actually evolved into a pretty durable and reliable (for an 800 anyhow) engine. Polaris's 800s have been grenades for years and now they've released a brand new HO version (does this mean it'll blow up even faster :wink_old: ) and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread? The Doo 800 and 600 E-Tecs will also smoke the Poos for fuel mileage, but won't smoke out your garage while warming them up since they're not based on SDI technology that Doo left behind in 2008. The rest of the sled seems cool but it won't ride any better than a Doo with RAS2 and R-motion, and you sacrifice a tunnel with all the Linq goodies for that Pro-Ride contraption... No thanks.

The grass aint always greener boys. I predict they'll be some sheepish ship jumpers back to Doo in 2016....

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
The poo 800 seems pretty nice but I agree they do not have a good track record with it and now they are going to spin an 800 twin @8500rpm...yikes. It would a nice ride but would have me concerned over time. I have been here a while, when the yammi nytro came out it was going bury Ski-doo and be the greatest thing, lot's of guys switched and how did that turn out? Look at the new Cat procross, it was going to bury Ski-doo, better belt life with the Torque link and the 4 stroke Turbo, lot of guys baled from here and tried one....how did that work out? I personally think the refinement and improvement in the Doo's since 08 has been amazing. It is nice to sit back and watch members try some other brands for a while and come back with reports and I would love to put a leg over the new Axys.

Reactions: Skidoo_600_Gade

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I've gotta say I like the Viper offering this year. The motor is proven along with the front suspension. The premium model comes with an awesome shock set-up. In my opinion the blue and white version is the best looking graphics package on the snow. Yamaha clutching is good also. I believe I will stay loyal to Doo but if I would switch it would be Yamaha.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Keep in mind that Polaris reduced the weight of the crankshaft for 600 and 800 by 2.5 lbs, according the the website. Let's see how that works out!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Toys are funny. Especially snowmobiles. Seems as though having the newest and most hyped sled is really important. Fact!

In the last 13 seasons, doo has done to snowmobiles what Harley Davidson has achieved with motorcycles. I'm very impressed!

At the end of the day. Hype will achieve a short term goal. Delivering fresh reliable product will help sustain the drive.

Numbers don't lie.....
Couldn't agree more

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Toys are funny. Especially snowmobiles. Seems as though having the newest and most hyped sled is really important. Fact!

In the last 13 seasons, doo has done to snowmobiles what Harley Davidson has achieved with motorcycles. I'm very impressed!

At the end of the day. Hype will achieve a short term goal. Delivering fresh reliable product will help sustain the drive.

Numbers don't lie.....
x3

·
Registered
727 Posts
Exactly what I thought!!
Polaris website and buddy who races a poo said that they were running that lightweight crankshaft in all the race sleds this year and no problems...guess we'll see

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hoping for the carb 600 in the xs chassis. Sled will be in the same chassis and plastic for 8 seasons. Dealer can place it in the corner of the showroom with the Yamaha Apex.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
No doubt skidoo has the best overall lineup on snow. The problem is that there are two markets Doo sells to, people who own doo and people who will be new to doo. I am in sales and latest/greatest and new innovations sell, so does market share, reliablilty and what everybody else has. I just feel Doo is losing out on new sales to thier owners (me) and people who are reactive to latest and greatest. Doo will sell a lot of sleds because they are the best but why would someone who bought a 600, 800 or 1200 mxz or gade in the last 3-4 years upgrade? I have the itch and so do a lot of 1200 owners (same sled since 09) but I will not just trade in to trade in and say it is a 2015.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Really would have liked to see the 1200 in different plastic, thats about all, power is just fine. I love the new colours, the orange/black looks awesome. I mean what do you do when your sleds are almost perfect the way they are, everyone else is still at least 5 years behind!!

Look at Cat and Yamaha...they are both so useless on their own that it takes both of them to cobble together something out of the parts bin and call it all new!? And Polaris..WTF is that!!! Looks like a bunch of scaffolding stuck to the back end of a snowmobile....sorry, I'll take an XS with my Linq bag and gas can neatly secured to the tunnel.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
No doubt skidoo has the best overall lineup on snow. The problem is that there are two markets Doo sells to, people who own doo and people who will be new to doo. I am in sales and latest/greatest and new innovations sell, so does market share, reliablilty and what everybody else has. I just feel Doo is losing out on new sales to thier owners (me) and people who are reactive to latest and greatest. Doo will sell a lot of sleds because they are the best but why would someone who bought a 600, 800 or 1200 mxz or gade in the last 3-4 years upgrade? I have the itch and so do a lot of 1200 owners (same sled since 09) but I will not just trade in to trade in and say it is a 2015.
This is why I am. R Motion, New DESS system, New front end suspension, narrow 15" track (Gade) better on twisty trails? 4 year warranty, oops and colors. Well that's enough for me!!

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Given Doo's track record I'm not surprised that 2015 is the year for a suspension change. 2016 will be the year for further advancements in engine technology. It's a proven track record that has worked very well for them over the past decade - introduce new engines one year and new bodywork or suspensions the next. It's how they build repeated demand for new products.

If a manufacturer gave us a new engine, bodywork and suspension all in the same model year, we'd all be buying new sleds every 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Given Doo's track record I'm not surprised that 2015 is the year for a suspension change. 2016 will be the year for further advancements in engine technology. It's a proven track record that has worked very well for them over the past decade - introduce new engines one year and new bodywork or suspensions the next. It's how they build repeated demand for new products.

If a manufacturer gave us a new engine, bodywork and suspension all in the same model year, we'd all be buying new sleds every 5 or 6 years.
LOL 5 or 6 years ! That's an eternity !!. 3 max ! :biggrin_old:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Being a Procross owner (and an overall snowmobile enthusiast), I took a lot of ribbing on here for Cat's colors, the narrow 15" track, the taller spindles with wider a-arm spacing, etc. I find it amusing that now Doo has an orange/black (Cat colors by far), 15" tracks, and taller spindles/wider a-arm spacing on Renegade (not as tall as Cat) and Doo enthusiasts say "hey, great changes and shows Doo leads the way with the suspension improvements".

I'm not ribbing Doo for using better technology; afterall every manufacturer copies other companies' designs if it moves their product forward. It would just be nice if some Doo enthusiasts owned up to good ideas other brands have had (not expecting much because this is a Doo site).

I like the taller spindles and how it changes the geometry of the front suspension; my procross front suspension is second to none with that design. I like the R-motion system (I had to add the hygear linkage kit and springs to mine to get a plusher ride) and I think the T-motion is a game changer for M sleds. Of course Doo lead the way in rider-forward concept and continues to have a comfortable sled. But, I have ridden with two 2012 and one 2013 800Etecs this year which have now been down (pistons on two and and crank bearings on one) and a couple of them have had other small issues. Four others have been flawless. I also ride with 6 new 2014 Cats and none have had belt issues this year, one had a starter issue, one had a ecu reflash and one had an issue with cooling - dealer didn't burp the system upon PDI. The slide-action rear skid is a very nice ride (especially in 137") and I find the seating position more comfortable than on the Doo (feet are too far back and under me rather than slightly ahead of me for when I stand on the Doo). So until I see an 800 from Doo that can consistently get 4-5000 miles before needing a rebuild, I will keep my 800 Suzuki. I can live with lower fit and finish and I can deal with some small issues if it means I don't have to dump $2-3000 into a motor every couple years.

By the way, the 800Etec's average around 1-2 mpg better than my 800 Cat and about 10% better oil consumption. Not a big deal for me considering the 800 Suzuki has the best longevity out of any 800 today.

I like the orange/black colors for Doo this year (I'm a fan of the orange/black Cat has had for years). I am not liking all the solid yellow sleds. And two colors should never go with yellow: Red and light Gray.

I don't think Doo had to change much up this year as they have some of the best technology out there (and now have some cat ideas in narrower track, taller spindles and different front suspension geometry).

I like the changes they made to the Renegade this year and will likely consider one (hopefully they have the piston/crank bearings figured out finally) this fall if I pass my procross to my wife and upgrade her Crossfire.

Let the "bash the cat guy" begin. :popcorn:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Polaris website and buddy who races a poo said that they were running that lightweight crankshaft in all the race sleds this year and no problems...guess we'll see
While the race sleds takes a beating on the suspension, I don't think the motors get the punishment a trail motor does. How many races have you seen where they hold it WOT for 3 miles straight? At most you hold them WOT for a few seconds and then you are taking a corner or jumping. While i think the racing program is great for the suspensions and chassis, I would not hang my hat on how the engine performs.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I'm happy there's nothing earth shattering from Doo this year. I have no reason to trade up now and my 2013 sleds will hold their value a little better. I sure would have loved to see a 1000 etec , an e-tec 2 or a factory boosted 1200 or a boosted 900 but then I would have been tempted to buy new.. This is where Doo dropped the ball. There's no reason for any of us with 2, 3 or 4 year old sleds to trade up in 2015

Reactions: Jeb©
1 - 20 of 40 Posts