Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for a buddy of mine. He has a 2015 renegade sport that runs great but when he started it he has no headlights or dash. Smarter people than me & him said its most likely a relay behind the air box. How difficult is this to swap out? Never took out an air box on this sled. We don't wrench really but said I would try to help him.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I believe the relay you're looking for is on the other side, near the solenoid/battery. Easy. Check the ground...battery to chassis, and fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
I believe the relay you're looking for is on the other side, near the solenoid/battery. Easy. Check the ground...battery to chassis, and fuses.

Check out this one, AND the fuses, AND the ground. If you've recently had the battery out, I'd check ground first, fuses 2nd, relay third.

5fb4af18ed807fa0b0dbbef60990170b.jpg

·
Registered
845 Posts
Is that the relay that would serve the dash and lights?
That's the starter relay. Fuses are right under it, ground right there too.

I'm at a bit of disadvantage to help you. Sitting on the beach in FL, thinking about sledding, no access to manual or sled. That said, I just checked the "electrical harness -600 carb" and I don't see a 2nd relay listed. On the "electrical system". It looks like a 2nd relay on the main harness, but not called out w/a part#. My 16 sport operators manual doesn't reference any relay, but illustration shows one at fuse location. I still think you probably have a bad fuse or ground. I suggested checking the ground first because everything relies on a good ground.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you're ground and fuses are good, I'd expect the relay to be up higher, on the pyramid frame if there is a separate relay. I believe there a fuse fir the fuel system behind the air box, but that's an terribly inconvenient place to put a relay for the lights, and I suspect even the engineers would understand not to put it there:)

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly to confirm or correct me:)

·
Registered
845 Posts
I do have an old 2012 XP manual on my laptop. It shows the R1 (lights and accessories) relay above the battery, although describes a left side location, behind the air inlet system. Weird.
3976c40985d3be8345551c73aa930618.jpg

·
Registered
751 Posts
Now get back to your vacation. LOL.

Man that is above and beyond from the beach in Florida. Great job helping a fellow sledder. You get a gold star for the day.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If it's tight, it should be fine. Ohm meter for no resistance. But if the straps are loose, it can cause a problem. Other than that would have to have a break in the wire to cause a problem.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's the starter relay. Fuses are right under it, ground right there too.

I'm at a bit of disadvantage to help you. Sitting on the beach in FL, thinking about sledding, no access to manual or sled. That said, I just checked the "electrical harness -600 carb" and I don't see a 2nd relay listed. On the "electrical system". It looks like a 2nd relay on the main harness, but not called out w/a part#. My 16 sport operators manual doesn't reference any relay, but illustration shows one at fuse location. I still think you probably have a bad fuse or ground. I suggested checking the ground first because everything relies on a good ground.

Well, upon consideration, if I had to guess, I'd say that's probably the R1, light and accessory relay, not start relay.

I may have only confused the issue for you, hope not.

On the etec's the lighting is controlled through the ECM, no relay, on the carbs, looks like relay w/ground from ECM and power from the fused circuits.

Back to the fuses. Good luck, & please let us know what you determine caused your lighting issue.

Makes me smile....short story...sledding in UP. At the time, I had two Yammmie Vectors. One cold morning, -25F, I had no lights. Checked my relay, no good. Loaded it into the trailer and ran over to Parts's in Greenland. Can't remember now who I spoke with, but here's what he said...no joke.

Relays is probably good, but frozen due to condensation inside. After all, it's suuuuper cold. When I asked what I should do, he said on the trail yuh could always urinate in it to warm it up, but if I did, he wasn't going to work on the sled if that didn't fix it:). I could buy a new one. Or, I could take mine off, bring them in, and enjoy a coffee while they thawed out.

Coffee was good, relay worked after a few min on the stove, and I bought a spare for the tool kit.

Gotta love the UP dealers!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts