Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2015 Renegade 900 Ace that has been having some issues the past couple years. Issues to the point where it has not been on the trail aside from once last year, and once this year, both after thinking the issues were fixed, but the symptoms return. The first issue is that the battery dies ALL the time. We can charge it up, then a couple days later its as dead as a door nail. Last year, we jumped the sled, took it out on a short 40 mile ride, got about halfway into the ride and the sled would all of a sudden lose power while driving, bog down, then if I pumped the throttle a couple times revved back to life and ran OK for a few seconds before repeating. Occasionally the sled would stall completely, but after letting the sled sit for a minute or two it would start up and act fine for a mile or two before repeating the issue, until the sled eventually died and would not restart. We towed it home, went through the electrical system and couldn't find a problem. Bought a new battery, put that in, and that seemed to fix the issue. Unfortunately we never got the chance to ride again after that, so fast forward to this season, we go to start it up and the battery once again is dead. We just assumed after sitting for all summer not being run the battery just died no big deal. Charged it up, it sat for 3-4 days, went to ride it again last night and the battery was already dead. Jumped it, rode it for about 40 miles and the sled started doing the same thing. Ended up leaving it on the side of the trail until this morning. Before we tried jumping the sled, we took a voltage reading on the battery, 9V, jumped the sled took another reading on the battery and had 14.5V, so obviously the engine is generating electricity. Took the jump box off the sled, still had 14.5 at the battery, hit the gas, sled died right away. Jumped the sled again, left the jump box hoked up, and the sled ran like it was supposed to. Loaded up the sled and took it home where I took some more voltage readings on the battery terminals:

Sled off: 10.33V

Sled off hooked up to jump box: 12.5V

Sled running with Jump Box: 14.5V

Sled running without jump box: 14.5V

Hitting the throttle without jump box: 15.5V, right before the sled died

Hitting the throttle with the jump box: 15.0V

Sled off no jump box: 10.19V

Again all measurements were taken across the battery terminals. The decrease in battery voltage overall tells me the battery is not charging, however 10.33 to 10.19 is not that large of drop so that could be due to measurement error. I currently have the battery on a 2 Amp charge, am going to take another initial reading, then am going to start the sled and let it idle for a bit, check the voltage again to see if the drop is consistent. Regardless, I am at a loss as to why the sled continuously dies. Watching the tachometer, the sled dies at 1700 RPM no matter what mode it is in (Eco, Standard, or Sport) Any potential ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I will update with the battery status once that has been completed. I do not think that it is an issue related to the battery itself as this was a brand new battery as of last year, and the sled has only been on the trails once since it has been installed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Same engine in a 16 GT - one year i left the sled connected during the summer by accident. Figured what could go wrong. Battery dead by the time i needed to load it on the trailer for winter. Now, whenever the sled is sitting, summer (battery out hooked to tender), winter, (when sitting week to week) hooked to tender. If your not going to take it out at least disconnect it from the sled. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If your battery is at 10 volts off and the sled charges when it’s running, then the battery is no good. These sleds must have a good battery in order to run/stay running

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,831 Posts
When you bought that brand new battery last year did you give it a full charge before you put it in the sled?... And also check all your ground wires make sure they are good and tight...

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Buy a quality battery and with at least 300 cca. Batteries can go bad quickly, especially, if let go completely dead. I would also check for a draw on the battery.

Bob

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I bet that the engine is stalling because the system voltage is instantaneously dropping to a value that the ECU cannot function with. Are you getting any codes (check engine light on)? There is a code for when the system or battery voltage drops below 11 volts.

Either way, dead/damaged battery. Suggest using a tender in the off season on all your seasonally used batteries. Try storing them in a cool place too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts