Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to order a 2015 XRS. Not sure what to do about track. I ride 80-85% on trail, but the remainder is either off trail or breaking trail (before the groomer).

My current sled is a 14 Rene ADR with the Rip Saw 1.25 and studded. Works great for me.

I was thinking since the Gades now are 15" I should go with the taller 1.5 lug, but still want to stud (gets icy here). Can I do this on the 1.5? Or should I look at another track option/lug height (1.35?).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I recommend going with the 1.5" track, especially since the tracks are 15" wide (vs. 16") on the X-RS Renegades for 2015. My 1.75" track works great on the trails, so I would think the 1.5" lug would be great for how you describe your riding style. In the end, either track would work well though. If you value ice traction over deeper snow, go with the optional Ice Ripper track (1.25" lugs with carbide tips), if you value deeper snow performance, go with the standard 1.5" track.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recommend going with the 1.5" track, especially since the tracks are 15" wide (vs. 16") on the X-RS Renegades for 2015. My 1.75" track works great on the trails, so I would think the 1.5" lug would be great for how you describe your riding style. In the end, either track would work well though. If you value ice traction over deeper snow, go with the optional Ice Ripper track (1.25" lugs with carbide tips), if you value deeper snow performance, go with the standard 1.5" track.
Thanks. What about the Ice Attack 1.37 as a third choice. Yes I know it's not listed as an option on the Build Your Sled site, but it is available in the Ski-Doo store. Thought?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks. What about the Ice Attack 1.37 as a third choice. Yes I know it's not listed as an option on the Build Your Sled site, but it is available in the Ski-Doo store. Thought?
I think the Ice Ripper 1.37 is actually a 1.25 as they include the stud length. I would go with at least a 1.5 lug track. I'm spring ordering a new Backcountry and am going with a 1.75 and studding it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That sounds like a great track choice for what you are looking for! I still have my 136" 1.25" lug Ice Ripper on my other sled (extended 02 MXZ) and have been really happy with that track after running it for about 7 seasons. If I did more off trail riding with that sled, I would want a bigger lug, but overall, great track, so the 1.375" lug Ice Attack may be the ticket for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am going with a 1.375 ice attak over the summer. Selling my 137" 16" 1.25 studded ripsaw. many guys wont go back to studs after owning an ice attack, so im going for it. my 1.25 does well off trail so im not worried about getting a 1.5 or larger. just dont think ill need it.... JMO

·
RS
3,087 Posts
1.5" lug at least, end of story,

I ride my 2,25 on the trails more than what I thought I would, been a poor winter for us and not many of the polelines and pipe lines have had much snow. I keep checking my hyfax and its still fine with like 600km of trail

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am ordering two 2015 Renegade X 1200 4Tec and for the track Exchange, will be installing two Ice Cobra 16''X137''X1.6'' part number 9249C , if i find the track not enough aggressive then i will use 48 double baker 1.65 big shot by snow stud

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Go ahead and stud the 1.5 ripsaw and forget about it.

Great track........... Awesome track when studded.

You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am ordering two 2015 Renegade X 1200 4Tec and for the track Exchange, will be installing two Ice Cobra 16''X137''X1.6'' part number 9249C , if i find the track not enough aggressive then i will use 48 double baker 1.65 big shot by snow stud
i did the same this year on my 800 gade not agressive anough if i were to do it again i would get the plain 1.6 cobra its not the same padle.they are softer and hook alot more than the ice one my finding anyway

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am ordering the Black XRS Gade w/ the 1.5" ripsaw then studding it myself. Should be all you need no matter where you are, my studded 1.25 ripsaws have been excellent over the years so a little more lug should only make it better IMO.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can just replace a 15" track with a 16"?

Will the be counter productive to the new RAS 2 front end?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seriously, can you just swap from 15" to 16"? I thought I heard in the Reveal, that the 15" was needed to match the RAS suspension. I think.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
RAS don't matter what track, put it on the expedition with the 20 wide, front suspension has nothing to do with the track.

I like the 15 wides my self, gives more room to clear snow and you got room for the RS style braces for heavier guys or if you like bumps a lot. My freeride track rubs the sides if there is the smallest ice build up and there is always ice build up bellow -10°C

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
RAS don't matter what track, put it on the expedition with the 20 wide, front suspension has nothing to do with the track.

I like the 15 wides my self, gives more room to clear snow and you got room for the RS style braces for heavier guys or if you like bumps a lot. My freeride track rubs the sides if there is the smallest ice build up and there is always ice build up bellow -10°C
Thanks!

How does your 15" do off trail? Think the Rene XRS will do the same? I don't do a lot off trail, but when fresh snow falls I have a 2 mile lake run to make before I get to the trails. I also ride some private trails which we have to break often so I won't always be on groomed snow. Hoping the Rene XRS will work for that. My 14 Adrenaline works Ok now but it has the 16 in track.

So one option I was thinking was going with a 16 in track with something like a 1.35 or 1.5 lug. But not sure it that will just mess things up.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yes
$350 for a smaller lug track.

Can you safely stud the 1.5" Ripsaw ?
Yes, I believe the 1.450 studs work fine, its what I'm going to install.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts