Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

2015 MXZ XRS 1000 Project?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  MXZ700X 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been pretty disappointed that Ski doo hasn't brought back the Mach Z since 2007. And I have a feeling they won't for some time. So I've gotten the idea to make my own by putting a 1000 sdi into my 2015 mxz xrs 800. The sheer power potential from that motor has my mouth watering and since I have the XRS my chassis/shocks should be able to compensate for the added power/weight of the motor. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this with any success? If so how trail friendly is it? I would want to get a motor from a later model year since its supposedly got bugs worked out. Also, with the XS chassis I would think the motor wouldn't suck up all the belt dust like the rt chassis did making them more reliable. I'm hoping to be able to keep all the running gear, gauges and liquid reservoirs intact if I can. Making a 800/850 etec killer with stock looks would be awesome. Thanks in advance for all the input.

Reactions: gen1xrs
#2 ·
Grr accomplished transplanting the 1k in a xp (I believe) a while back.I'm not familiar with the xs chassis,but most anything is possible with effort,time,skill,and $$$$.Having a mach z rt I can tell you the power/torque is unreal.The biggest drawback is the extra weight,and the 2400-3k price tag of the hands on rebuild.There are a good number of "very" knowledgeable 1k owners here so you won't be alone.I like your idea,I look forward to reading about your potential project.

#3 ·
Post some updates if you go ahead with this.
I'm out of the 2strokes for good. But I like where your head is at!

#5 ·
I'm going to look at a 2007 mach zx this weekend with 2100 miles. Asking $2300. Anything major I should look for that would tell me it a about to blow?

#6 ·
Take a very close look at your first post. The first person who made this happen on an XP chassis hit the Like button. The handlename is quite evident ;)

If it helps, the MachZ Achilles heal in the first season was the fuel system and Fuel to Oil ratio. They will work with most good oils, but they like XPS Mineral the best for Top and Bottom Ends. There are no other oils to date that compared. Remember, I am talking best oil for the engine, not best oil as there are drawbacks to every good oil.

The other MachZ Achilles heal is the double injectors per cylinder. This is the same problem with all the SDI sleds, 800s, 600s and then came the 1000 SDI. The ETECs have the same problem with only one injector, and the 850s return to double injectors will show itself after one storage. So be be mindful of the injector flow and and flow pattern. There is a lot more to know about the bottom end, but the Air/Fuel Ratio, Exhaust Gas Temperature and Electrical seals the deal for a well running 1000 SDI. Understand all of these things and you will have one of the most reliable sleds imaginable. Best of luck!!!

#7 ·
JoePit have you moved on to 1200s?
Yup had 2 now, probably a Sidewinder next. The only things I miss are the sound and the smell.
Even my 660 Turbo pulled at the bottom like most 2 stroke would only dream of.

The MachZ and the ZR900 are probably the only other machine I would compare the torque curves to 4 strokes. I have not had a chance to try 850s yet but I've seen a few of them get their ass handed to them at the local drags.

In most snow conditions most 800 are not getting away from you. Plus you can hold her to the bar or any other RPM range and not have to worry about any leaning conditions, for as far as your little heart can handle it.

#8 ·
It been said: time, patience, lots of money and HEADACHES. I see this to be a great project and it would be nice to follow your progress. When I head north to ride for a weekend I just want to ride and not tinker with my sled other than shock settings. A build like this will take time to get all the issues worked out. Good luck to you.

#11 ·
I often wonder if it wouldn't be easier to mod the RT frame to fit the rider forward and front end of the XS. The 1K fits so nicely into the RT engine bay which was specifically strengthened for the high output engine. The engine brackets are specific to the RT. Notice the bracket on the PTO side is light weight and strong. This is a real big engine to hold down, a whopping 25% larger than the 800.

The front heat exchanger is part of the frame and designed for the RT cooling and track/stud clearance. I really don't know, just throwing it out there. I would see it if were possible to keep the frame and heat exchangers from the read end up to the front of the engine bay, then fit the XS ergos to it. It would be nice to have both frames without the plastics sitting side by side to see the possibilities and actual weight difference. The dry weight of the MachZ Manual Start is only 519 lbs, and with Electric Start 536 lbs. Did you see the scale on the XP showing 540 lbs? This is why I wonder about the weight difference and what exactly weights more on the RT. As long as you own a TIG welder, I imagine that everything is possible.

#16 ·
I believe the 800 etec is a true @156-159hp,while the 1k is @175hp + give or take. Plus there is a big bump in torque, no replacement for displacement.The guy I bought my rt from was a doo x country racer.He had access to a dyno.He had paperwork on my rt at 181hp on race fuel.He said his 13 800 etec was upper 150's.Anything can be forged,but he had no reason to be untruthful.I've been on a 16 800 etec,they are quick,but the 1k is a whole different animal.

#17 ·
I believe the 800 etec is a true @156-159hp,while the 1k is @175hp + give or take. Plus there is a big bump in torque, no replacement for displacement.The guy I bought my rt from was a doo x country racer.He had access to a dyno.He had paperwork on my rt at 181hp on race fuel.He said his 13 800 etec was upper 150's.Anything can be forged,but he had no reason to be untruthful.I've been on a 16 800 etec,they are quick,but the 1k is a whole different animal.
Its true, riding a 1k and comparing it to a 800 is like an 800 to a 600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.