Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew my engine on my 2015 Freeride last weekend at 1500 miles. Not sure of the cause but it was using a lot of oil. The weekend before it blew I did 100 miles and went through almost a whole tank of oil. I called my dealer and he said if you are working it hard it will go through a lot of oil. Too me that is way too much. Would excessive oil consumption affect the engine?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like the oil valve could of been stuck on wide open . Yes it could lean out the motor depending how you were running it , excess oil on the EGT probes can cause funny readings to the computer or can cause them to get excessive carbon build up on them . But I would of think you would of noticed heavy smoke burning if that was the case coming out the exhaust pipe. That tank holds almost one gallon of oil so you went thru a quart every 25 miles . Should of seen smoke every-time you hit the throttle and your buddies should of smelled it . Or oil was not getting to where it needed to because it was leaking some where else and yes that would kill the motor .........You did not mention any inspection for oil in the bottom pan of the sled or dripping on the parking lot . Did you check the cable operated oil valve and see if it was moving with the throttle ? Not sure if the 2015 has the cable oil valve ......it might be computer controlled on the 15 . Would have to look at the service book .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 800. There was no oil in the bottom and didn't notice anything leaking. The oil consumption was slowly getting worse all year. Not really a lot of smoke for the amount of oil it was burning. The computer said it had 1 overheat to 190 which isn't very hot. This happened when I was stuck on a packed bush trail. i don't believe that is hot enough to damage anything.

Before I sent it to the dealer I pulled the plugs and not surprisingly they were very black.

The dealer has sent the computer info to BRP. I hope to have it back early next week with a new piston and cylinder. At this point they are unsure as to the reason for the extreme oil consumption. It's costing me as much for oil as gas.

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
The only way excess oil can burn down a two stroke is if it builds too much carbon on the components. It is a guessing game without detailed pictures of the components, without the results from the pre-teardown and teardown inspection and measurement, and without a detailed description of the events prior to the failure including overheated temps, trouble making rpm, hesitations, bogs, and whatever problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts