Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had nothing but Chevy SUV's and have had good luck with them but the new aluminum F-150's really interest me and I'm seriously considering one of these for my next vehicle (BESIDES the fact that GM got a government bailout then has their 1/2ton crew cabs assembled in Mexico!!!!!!). I have a few friends with newer Chevy trucks (2008 and 2009) and they started showing rust after only 4 years (my 2002 Suburban with 160,000 miles is just now starting to show a rust spot). I would not be very happy if I put down $40,000 on a new truck and it was starting to rust before it was paid for.

Can someone with ACTUAL knowledge of the aluminum body (like maybe someone who works for Ford) chime in and comment on the corrosion resistance in a salty environment like we have here in the Midwest? I guess only time will tell but I'm sure Ford tested this for a few years and have dotted their i's and crossed their t's and wouldn't sacrifice unsatisfactory results on America's #1 selling vehicle.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have an 07 Expedition that has an aluminum hood that started to corrode last fall so I had it repaired and repainted asap. The top of the hood has never had a problem. Any metal will corrode if not taken care of or fixed. When shutting the hood I feel I need to be careful or it will dent but I've never had a problem

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
Yes and much sooner too.Win-win.Dodge is a lose-lose no matter what they make it from.

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,216 Posts
I won't be ready for a new pick up till 2016 so it will give me more than enough time to know all I need to.

My current 150 and two previous ones have been great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Skidog,

If you want to know what to look for, find a couple '04 to '07 Expeditions and check out the tailgates right above the handles. The aluminum oxidizes and the paint peels, early in the process it will start to bubble just like rust. If they are not peeling check to see if they've been painted (overspray, etc..). I have a MN Expy and know at least 4 others with them, we've all had the same issues with the trucks from that time period.

Ford was supposed to have fixed some of this however aluminum oxidizes just like steel rusts. Aluminum is more expensive to repair but you can fix the oxidation assuming you catch it in time. Aluminum "should" provide better weather resistance in our climate than steel (particularly in a heated garage).

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
I have a little inside knowledge on this one (can't say how) but I can tell you what you knew of aluminum in the past isn't what you'll know of aluminum going forward.

What I can tell you is among other things the new aluminum F150 is actually more dent and corrosion resistant than the steel ones. Ford has done their homework on this one.

Keep in mind the CEO of Ford is Allen Mulally, formally at Boeing. The guy knows something about building with aluminium. ;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a little inside knowledge on this one (can't say how) but I can tell you what you knew of aluminum in the past isn't what you'll know of aluminum going forward.

What I can tell you is among other things the new aluminum F150 is actually more dent and corrosion resistant than the steel ones. Ford has done their homework on this one.

Keep in mind the CEO of Ford is Allen Mulally, formally at Boeing. The guy knows something about building with aluminium. ;)
I'm gonna call BS. Maybe they will be better than the expeditions, but Aluminum is never going to be any better than the galvanized baked steel stuff. Why? Because these vehicles are not engineered with to withstand the harsh conditions in the minority of the country known as the rust belt. Period. The Aluminum may outlast the steel, but it will also be more costly and difficult to repair once the rot issues start to peek through.

ALSO, for anyone whining about GM and Dodge taking the money. Stop kidding yourselves. The banks got the money, the car companies saw the free money on the table and I can't blame them one bit for taking it. Ford had the foresight to pass it up and that was nothing more than a marketing ploy, a damn successful one.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've had nothing but Chevy SUV's and have had good luck with them but the new aluminum F-150's really interest me and I'm seriously considering one of these for my next vehicle (BESIDES the fact that GM got a government bailout then has their 1/2ton crew cabs assembled in Mexico!!!!!!). I have a few friends with newer Chevy trucks (2008 and 2009) and they started showing rust after only 4 years (my 2002 Suburban with 160,000 miles is just now starting to show a rust spot). I would not be very happy if I put down $40,000 on a new truck and it was starting to rust before it was paid for.

Can someone with ACTUAL knowledge of the aluminum body (like maybe someone who works for Ford) chime in and comment on the corrosion resistance in a salty environment like we have here in the Midwest? I guess only time will tell but I'm sure Ford tested this for a few years and have dotted their i's and crossed their t's and wouldn't sacrifice unsatisfactory results on America's #1 selling vehicle.
I work in the steel industry an have been told by my boss that the car companies are using less corrosion resistant materials in their vehicles cause it isn't right to see a 10 plus year old vehicle with no rust. They want you back in sooner buying a new one. Keeps the economy going forward.

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
If you take care of your vehicle and use Krown or another type of rust-proofing,you shouldn't have any issues.Those that don't take care of their vehicles will pay the price in the end.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I work in the steel industry an have been told by my boss that the car companies are using less corrosion resistant materials in their vehicles cause it isn't right to see a 10 plus year old vehicle with no rust. They want you back in sooner buying a new one. Keeps the economy going forward.
IMHO. Thats another piece of baseless propaganda. Wintery/Rust belt vehicle ownership accounts for less than 1/3 of North American Vehicle sales. There is a happy medium of corrosion resistance on vehicles that accounts for the average usage throughout the US/North America.

For a manufacturer its cheaper to pay some warranty claims than over engineer over build the majority of the vehicles they build. Some people get upset about this, BUT its just a fact of life and the cost of doing business for those of us who live where there are adverse winter conditions.

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
I'm gonna call BS. Maybe they will be better than the expeditions, but Aluminum is never going to be any better than the galvanized baked steel stuff. Why? Because these vehicles are not engineered with to withstand the harsh conditions in the minority of the country known as the rust belt. Period. The Aluminum may outlast the steel, but it will also be more costly and difficult to repair once the rot issues start to peek through.

ALSO, for anyone whining about GM and Dodge taking the money. Stop kidding yourselves. The banks got the money, the car companies saw the free money on the table and I can't blame them one bit for taking it. Ford had the foresight to pass it up and that was nothing more than a marketing ploy, a darn successful one.
OK...we'll see.

On the GM thing - you're 100% wrong on that one. They took the banks money and the TAXPAYERS money, then Obama did a "selective bankruptcy" (never been done before or after, but thats means nothing to this administration) which took even MORE TAXPAYERS money and ownership to the US Government - kind of like a Communist government does.

Just a 20.9 BILLION $$$ hit to the US Taxpayer by the looks, and this was a Dec '12 story: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/19/gm-stock-treasury-buyback/1779191/

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Maybe, just maybe Ford knows more about aluminum vehicles that all the armchair quarterbacks. My father worked for Alcan (large aluminum company now Novelus), I remember back in the early 90's there was an all aluminum Taurus. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
This is a high strength military grade aluminum alloy not used in the auto industry before. It will allow a increased gage. It also has a new high strength steel frame. From 23% up to 77%. Something like 650 700 lbs lighter in all.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is a high strength military grade aluminum alloy not used in the auto industry before. It will allow a increased gage. It also has a new high strength steel frame. From 23% up to 77%. Something like 650 700 lbs lighter in all.
OK...we'll see.

On the GM thing - you're 100% wrong on that one. They took the banks money and the TAXPAYERS money, then Obama did a "selective bankruptcy" (never been done before or after, but thats means nothing to this administration) which took even MORE TAXPAYERS money and ownership to the US Government - kind of like a Communist government does.

Just a 20.9 BILLION $$$ hit to the US Taxpayer by the looks, and this was a Dec '12 story: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/19/gm-stock-treasury-buyback/1779191/
I think you misunderstood me, I know it was the taxpayers money. GM and Chrysler took the money because Wall St and the Banking industry got it, Ford saw fit to struggle through ( 6.0l powerstroke repair revenue I'm sure helped :rolleyes_old: ) and is now reaping the benefits of "not taking taxpayer money" Like I said, marketing ploy.

I don't see these Aluminum F150s being the godsend you guys think. I don't care how great this new to the auto industry high tech material is. Why would Ford over engineer something to hold up to a small % of its customers adverse weather when its cheaper to just pay whatever warranty claims may arise?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it, nor do I think it will be a detriment to the truck. I just think its a moot point when you look at how the truck will hold up to the salty winters like NY and Michigan experience. The body panels and cab being aluminum aren't going to prolong the life of the brake lines, frame, body mounts, rubber bushings, Exhaust manifolds etc.

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
I'm still not following you on the money part, and that's OK, that's not what this thread is about.

On the aluminium, better corrosion resistance is only one part of the benefits. The biggest one (or 2?) is lighter weight with added strength. Ford is building a stronger truck that will get better MPG. The easiest way to increase MPG is to decrease weight. The new F150 is ~700 lbs lighter the the current truck, that's huge. But you can't sacrifice strength for weight, and they didn't.

The other benefit of lighter weight is the need for less HP, which also means more MPG. Most reports are saying we should see EPA numbers up to 30 MPG highway with this truck. That's amazing.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm still not following you on the money part, and that's OK, that's not what this thread is about.

On the aluminium, better corrosion resistance is only one part of the benefits. The biggest one (or 2?) is lighter weight with added strength. Ford is building a stronger truck that will get better MPG. The easiest way to increase MPG is to decrease weight. The new F150 is ~700 lbs lighter the the current truck, that's huge. But you can't sacrifice strength for weight, and they didn't.

The other benefit of lighter weight is the need for less HP, which also means more MPG. Most reports are saying we should see EPA numbers up to 30 MPG highway with this truck. That's amazing.
I'm still leaning on the fact that you are thinking this corrosion resistant aluminum body panels is going to increase the overall longevity of the vehicle. I can't seem to make it clear that the reason it won't is simple economics and has little to do with modern materials and technologies. You are under the misconception that Ford is building a truck that will better suit us salty dogs. The truth is that will never happen because we don't represent enough of the market.

Fords revolutionary Eco Boost was supposed to change the game with fuel mileage. Everyone I know that has one is disappointed with the mileage, despite loving the truck. Its a cool concept, but it never delivered the results Ford claimed it was going to. Maybe this revolutionary new Aluminum body will. Time will tell.

You Ford boys continue to giggle over what will likely be another lack luster ford and I'll be patiently waiting to see if the up and coming diesel Colorado is another game changer like the Duramax was, or a steaming pile of scrap people can't wait to forget about.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.