Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am not sure what has changed, but last year for some reason I got a ton of snow packed around my clutch area. When I say packed I mean packed in tight. Belt started slipping, temp gauge shot up and clutch hot to touch. I had literally took the belt guard etc off and pull all the snow out. The snow was black form the belt, sheeves glazed black and the foam around the guard was all black. I figured something wasn’t clicked in correct. Put another belt on and ran it after it cooled. Sill had snow around the clutch. The snow was really heavy and deep that day. In all the years I have never had a problem and have run it way rough conditions. The sled does have over 8000 miles. In all honesty last year’s riding with the 1200 was a Joke. Wet heavy snow and then none after it rained the next day and solid ice. Towards the end of the season I was able to ride on mash potatoes and the clutch was all wet again no real snow packed up but everything was soaked and clutches belt slipping again. The only thing I can think is different is I installed the goggle bag/ oil bag caddy onto the CVT cover. I have had the CVT since I got it in 15 so That isn’t the problem. I wonder if since it is tighter fit with the goggle bag it is creating a vacuum from the back sucking the snow and water in the exit vents in on the side. First thing I want to try is put mesh/ screen over the exit vents see what happens. Then maybe apply them over the hood vents too. Anyone ever experience this before first off with snow and water soaking the clutch and belt? The thing is I looked at both my kids xp’s And they were bone dry each day so. I have never had this problem before. Second what mesh or screen could be used to allow the air in but not snow and water droplets? The sled has run flawless for 5 season and then all the sudden this happened. Temps raise to shutdown because belt is slipping and socked and sheeves literally black from the belt slipping. Everything is clean now. Just want to figure out where the snow is coming from.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont have an answer to your problem, but I can recommend the Outerwears prefilter sheets to put over your vents. That material breathes and will definitely keep the snow out.

·
boost junkie
10,598 Posts
most likely a hole in the plastic under clutch

it can be just like a scoop

Reactions: maxmachz and bar549

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
We were cleaning up the garage and getting everything ready and packed in the trailer over the weekend. " remove all the summer stuff and put in winter stuff" I put my 1200 up on the lift and crawled under it. NO CRACKS OR DENTS> I did notice something though....... Where my left foot slides under the side plastic panel directly below the bottom rubber latch strap the entire left side, where my foot goes is open to the clutch area. The front has metal to stop my foot from going any further but the outside (opposite of the rotor) is completely open. It makes a triangle from the front frame support up to the rubber latch straight down to the floor board. It is about a 5 inch base of a triangle, 3 inches tall where your foot ends and angles to nothing where the side panel meets the boards. If snow is building up on my boards and I am a stand up rider, as I move my feet around I am pushing the snow right into the clutch chamber. The heat (exit) vent on the side panel is right above it. Is there suppose to be a plastic cover on the side where my feet are to stop the snow going in? I wonder if I lost it some how or maybe forgot to install it the last time I had the brakes/ jack shaft off and greasing they barings behind the rotors. I can put my hand straight sideways, bend my fingers forward, rotate my refits and touch the belt. (THIS IS WHERE THE SNOW IS GETTING IN) I think the CVT cover is creating a vacuum pulling the snow into the clutch and then spitting it out but with the build up it just packs in as my feet push the snow into the open triangle. Any help?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Crawl under and check the front heat exchanger. On 2 XP's here the rivets got loose and the exchanger left a gap. Snow from the track on my sled would constantly blow into the engine compartment from there. I constantly had a pile of snow on the clutch side. The snow blowing on the muffler side would melt so I didn't notice it. Once the engine was hot it would melt enough snow to puddle inside and slip the clutches with the water.

Took my a while to figure out why I always had ice on my left foot.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had a snow pack situation. Turned out to be a crack in the belly pan. Hard to see. Snow hitting it would open a little. Thats all it took. Fixed with duct tape.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need help and suggestions..... I figured it out! I will try to get a picture tomorrow when it is bright outside and you can see the light coming thought. Lets just say the entire side panel is about 1" out and 10" open. Here is what is happening. When I close the clutch side panel and slide the tab under the seat, latch the top and bottom rubber latches it is tight like it is suppose to be. No opening on the bottom where the panel slide into the base. As soon as I push my knees up again the plastic (where knee pads are) the bottom "right where the panel and the plastic pan under the clutch come together" it opens up and the side panel buckles out allowing snow to come in with no problem. Here is an idea I came up with. Tell me your opinion. What if I put a piece of 1.5" rubber (bicycle) tube with a washer on the bottom and inside the pan and put a bolt through it and make another latch for the middle bottom of the side panel. I would then stretch the latch around to the side panel and put some kind of ring on the side panel and hook it on. I had my son push against the kneepads and if my hand is in the bottom like the latch it doesn't pop out or open up. Another idea is there a way to make a larger rubber flashing on the inside so as it flexes it still remains closed?

I looked all over the plastic side panel. Nothing looks damaged it is just flexing in the middle for some reason.

Any suggestions or help?

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
I just bought a "well used" 2011 XR 1200 Gade and someone had added extra rubber latches at the bottom of the side panels. I've never seen them added there before, and didn't think they were needed as I've ridden several different XR 1200's without any issues with the panels. I can take some more pictures of the latches for you. This is the only pic I have and you can see it at the bottom of side panel as it does stick out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Please do take pictures. I think I want mine up but the first number 3 on your plate. I have been riding 1200's since 2009 and never had a problem till last year. I am a stand up rider so I push my knees pretty hard forward. I think the front is stiff and the back is also stiff. The rubber straps are tight. I'm just think i am compressing the back and it has nowhere to go but bulge in the middle. I have another idea also but would like to see your strap first.

Looks like you have 2 big holes in the front of your side panels?

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,206 Posts
I just bought a "well used" 2011 XR 1200 Gade and someone had added extra rubber latches at the bottom of the side panels. I've never seen them added there before, and didn't think they were needed as I've ridden several different XR 1200's without any issues with the panels. I can take some more pictures of the latches for you. This is the only pic I have and you can see it at the bottom of side panel as it does stick out.
looks like they may have laid it on its left side once upon a Time broke the side windshield deflector off and then stuck the mirror on the side panel... There may be some bent pieces from the tip over to need those extra rubber closures...jmo...

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
haha yeah that's why I said it was "well used" as it needs some definite TLC.... but for $3500 and 7100 miles for a 1200 Gade as an "extra" sled that I will trail ride with the kids, it was worth it to keep the miles off my Summit.

I actually got the side windshield deflectors separately as the kid took the handguards off that were in the for sale pictures and gave them to me. Eh, no biggie, I got a nice tunnel bag that wasn't even mentioned in the ad. There are small aluminum plates behind the mirrors that are mounted on the side panels. The right side mirror mount is broken too, but I'll move them up onto the side windshield deflectors.

There is actually a big hole in the belly pan that needs to be covered, along with the holes in the front of the side panel. I'm going to add a skid plate and will glue some plastic patches over the holes. Maybe I'll start a thread of all the fixes lol as this is going to be a low budget sled.

But I'll snap some close up pics of the extra panel straps. :righton

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered a set Saturday. That's exactly what I was thinking. The kit is a better buy it has everything. I already looked I am moving it up one floor panel opening so about 6 inches. Thanks for the Picts. This is going to be the cure for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts