Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a 2014 1200 Gsx 13000km stock We were out tonight and stopped on the trail... Saw an orange glow under the muffler in the snow... after further inspection the muffler was glowing ORANGE under the panels ( not enough to melt the outer shield that I could see yet) Any ideas if this is normal or what might be the issue?

The Pic is taken in the dark the orange glow you see is the muffler between the openings on the heat shield.

Thanks

Tyson

Attachments

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,070 Posts
Bad plug, bad coil or bad connector will cause a misfire and load the muffler up with gas and burn red hot. Maybe?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Excessive fuel burning up in the muffler or a restriction in the outlet, the trick is to figure out why. I'll assume it's running OK since you didn't mention that. A lot of things could cause excessive fuel....leaking injector, improper TPS calibration, weak or misfiring coil but I think you'd notice this. Have you checked the engine oil lately? Does it smell like gas or have the level increased? Those are also signs of too much fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just did an oil change... runs perfect... Skis lift at the touch of the trigger.. Idle is good... I did have an issue last week of erratic Idle but I reset the system ( turn ign on (not start) take off dess plug until dash goes out repeat 3 times) Idle is perfect again.. no other issues... runs strong.. would never have thought twice about it but we stopped out in the trail and I saw the orange glow under it...

Currently cleaning Mass airflow, and Idle valve.

Checked the inside the best I could with the Inspection cam... looks nice and clean... just 1 chamber I cant get to...

Have no way to test anything else so I guess off to the dealer...

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
were you working it hard? might be normal. I wouldn't be worried unless there is somewhat significant melting.
My sled has a huge opening in the plastic over the muffler, and when snow gets on it after riding, it sizzles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts