Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
The seat, the handle bar position is farther forward on the xrs, running boards are slightly different (wider) with extra braces to strengthen it up.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
By all accounts Doo nailed the '14 XRS package. My buddy rides one, says its so much better than his previous X and XRS sleds - and if he's happy it must be good.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
the xrs also comes standard with a clicker center shock, wouldn't mind that at times, but the x is pretty nice also.

·
Registered
893 Posts
yes the shocks are different on the two models, but you already know that.

color matter? you already know that too.

Weight? XRS slightly heavier due to the shock pkg and the additional minor bracing. That matters to some people as well.

Biggest thing other than the windshield protection (which can be customized) is that the shocks are more adjustable:

It used to be an XRS was an extremely stiff valved machine (even when settings where placed full soft) and that hasn't been the case since maybe 2012 on up. Now that the R Motion is in the XRS, and there is a wide range of adjustment as far as clicker settings are concerned, the XRS can be made to ride as firm or as soft as 90 percent of the trail people or racer wanna bees want them.

Highly recommend if the sled fits your budget and IF YOU CAN FIND ONE to get an XRS.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
697 Posts
It also really comes down to how/where you ride? Riding style? Groomed trails or whooped trials? Do you jump it?

I was steered away from the XRS as I ride mainly groomed trails and lakes.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The x is better handling. That's really the only perk from x to XRS IMO. If you have the money, go XRS. This time of year, good luck finding either

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in Alaska, there are many dealers here and am sure I can get one. About 3 miles from my back door I have the Iron Dog race trail (Tanana river) where I mostly ride. It's wide open river riding with big to medium bumps taken at high speed. Really thinking X-RS as I feel I could use that suspension/bracing and yes I do jump when can. Previous machine was an Apex RTX that would not stay together. Spent more time working on broken skidframe/suspension parts than anything else on the sled.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would also recommend the Xrs but think about getting shocks revalved whenever in the future and I would add the grip and rip braces first thing whether you end up on the x or Xrs.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Save the money and get an x or tnt, you can find plenty of good used shocks that have the dual stage compression adjustment in the rear for reasonable price,invest in some good fronts and you are set. I do this now and the advantage is I can swap them on my new sled and have the shocks exactly how I like, properly charged instead of waiting to get the new sled and having to rebuild/revalve right. The one time investment in good shocks maybe the same as the price difference but you can keep putting them on the next sled or sell them someday if needed. This year I have my new x model with kyb pros all around and just bolted them on. I could have saved more money and got a TNT but I wanted the all black x and the better gauge.

Reactions: 98slim

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
By the time you end up buying shocks, and bracing for the x, it ends up being more than the XRS when i recently priced stuff out for this spring when I spring check. Not to mention a lot less hassle, and easier resale of the xrs. Although the x has the better color options year after year. Let us no what you end up finding.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Save the money and get an x or tnt, you can find plenty of good used shocks that have the dual stage compression adjustment in the rear for reasonable price,invest in some good fronts and you are set. I do this now and the advantage is I can swap them on my new sled and have the shocks exactly how I like, properly charged instead of waiting to get the new sled and having to rebuild/revalve right. The one time investment in good shocks maybe the same as the price difference but you can keep putting them on the next sled or sell them someday if needed. This year I have my new x model with kyb pros all around and just bolted them on. I could have saved more money and got a TNT but I wanted the all black x and the better gauge.
That works well until they change something and the shocks don't fit anymore. I know, you can still sell the outright and start again, so it is an option.

I've found the extra cost of the X comes back at trade day. I've never owned an XRS so I can't speak for that one.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
That works well until they change something and the shocks don't fit anymore. I know, you can still sell the outright and start again, so it is an option.

I've found the extra cost of the X comes back at trade day. I've never owned an XRS so I can't speak for that one.
Since 2008 the only shock that changed was the ctr for the Rmotion(longer) The nice part is I have my X model with the xrs shocks and I do not have to go thru all my new shocks and spend time getting them right. Of course my dealer always wants feedback on the factory setup but I do not even ride it 1 time stock.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
By the time you end up buying shocks, and bracing for the x, it ends up being more than the XRS when i recently priced stuff out for this spring when I spring check. Not to mention a lot less hassle, and easier resale of the xrs. Although the x has the better color options year after year. Let us no what you end up finding.
Not if you factor the resale value of the shocks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow thought I would stroll into the dealer and find what I was after not so. I have a great salesman who is also an Iron Dog racer that is looking for whats available. Sounds like an X-RS is going to be almost impossible didn't realize they were spring order only.

May even go TNT route and do shocks . Search is on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts