Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 BCX that was snow checked by the guy I bought it from. He used it for 850 miles and then I bought it from him and now have 2200 miles on it.

Yesterday we lost all the coolant out of it and it started to overheat. We were rescued by a good friend and a trailer and I took it to the dealer to see what the problem was. Turns out the "base seal" blew out beside one of the bolt holes and that is where the coolant was leaking from. I was totally confident that this unit had 3 years of warranty on it but the dealer tells me there is only 2! Plus it is going to be $1100 to rip it apart and fix it. Original warranty registration was Nov 21, 2013.

Does anyone know what the warranty offer was on the 2014 snow checks? Didn't they offer three years? I don't have any paperwork to prove the three years and need some help.

I know what your thinking.....call the dealer he bought it from.......well I can't because it is no longer. It was originally snow checked through Bakers Small Engine Repair in Kipling, SK so I can't call them.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
That sounds like a good reason to contact SkiDoo directly. Too bad you don't have more documentation; hopefully SkiDoo can step in to help.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
What is the best way/number to contact Ski Doo directly?
I would bet searching for a contact number to a customer service department, etc would be a good way to start, unless someone here has a direct line to someone important...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What is the best way/number to contact Ski Doo directly?
I attached a pic of my 2014 spring snow check brochure & remember taking the 2nd year engine only warranty plus $250 rebate. You can see by the pic, a buyer could take an extra year as an option.

Before my 1st year warranty was up, I upgraded my engine only & extended the warranty for some extra $$. The computer never picked up the extension paperwork. To get it straightened out, I had to get my original dealer & BRP involved. It was wrong in the computer. I had my paperwork though
Here's the brochure pic
18840b7ffe30c1adaddb396bdc5ed2fb.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tundrafreak - This is a great help! I knew there was something else about the warranty being three years. I don't have the quick adjust system or a wrap so I must have the 3rd year engine coverage. Do you happen to still have your bill of sale? How did this third year show up on the bill of sale?

I talked to my dealer again and they said that it has happened before where the warranty registration was incorrect but they always want to verify it with the original bill of sale but I don't have it and neither does the original owner.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
tundrafreak - This is a great help! I knew there was something else about the warranty being three years. I don't have the quick adjust system or a wrap so I must have the 3rd year engine coverage. Do you happen to still have your bill of sale? How did this third year show up on the bill of sale?

I talked to my dealer again and they said that it has happened before where the warranty registration was incorrect but they always want to verify it with the original bill of sale but I don't have it and neither does the original owner.
Yes my choices were on my bill of sale. The dealer must have a deal sheet number? Could you trace it that way? And yes there are errors, mine wasn't entered into the system right & found out when getting my sled ready to put up for sale. I straightened it out though before putting it up so it would be squared away for the new owner. It sounds like you have the coverage, it just needs correction in the computer system.
056be5ff0087f43b8c894b35baaddee9.jpg

4bcefe415efe0212e681aea71e4586a6.jpg

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Original registration----------------------------11/21/2013

Original 12 month warranty--takes it to----11/21/2014

2nd year engine--takes it to -----------------11/21/2015

No QA and no wrap--did he take the

extra one year engine for the bonus?-------11/21/2016.........this is what you have to prove

Since the original dealer is out of business this might be tough. I would think BRP would have some kind of work order or build sheet. Getting it might be a different story. Good luck.....

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
this is why if the seller doesn't have the warranty card one should call a dealer and have them run the vin. Sellers are confused all the time with what they have, i bought a sled with 1 year warranty left advertised and it actually had 2 when i checked the card.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright so a few things have happened since my last post and I need some more help on this.

1) The original dealer is out of business so I was able to track him down at home (super nice guy). He went through his paperwork and has a few things but does NOT have the "Spring Break Certificate" on file. He says that this paper is the one I need to prove my warranty. The original bill of sale just has the final price and installed accessories listed on it. It doesn't say anything about the warranty.

2) Talked to the original owner again but he is still looking for more papers and can't seem to find anything.

3) Called BRP directly and was totally blown away with the way they talk to their customers. The guy was really rude and made the comment that he here's this story 20 times a day. I made it very clear that I'm not trying to get something I'm not entitled to rather just want to clarify weather there is 2 or 3 years warranty on this sled. I asked him to provide me with a bill of sale from his system and here is what he said = "BRP sells the units to the dealer, NOT the customer so BRP does not and will not ever have a customer bill of sale. The only thing they keep on file from the dealer is the warranty registration"

4) Same phone call with BRP, I asked him to look up my VIN number and confirm what the registered warranty period is. He pulled it up and said that there was only ever 1 year warranty registered (this is totally confusing because the dealer that did the repair says that their system shows 2 years warranty)

5) Dealer that did the repair says that in order to prove the 3 year warranty I need to provide them with the original bill of sale. I DON'T HAVE THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE......so frustrating.

So here is where I'm at = Dealer says that I need to prove I have 3 years warranty. I told the dealer yesterday that they need to prove to me that it DOESN'T have 3 years warranty. The said, well, the computer only shows 2 years.

Now what do I do? I am trying to be as civil as possible and am not trying to get anything that I am not entitled to but this seems to be going on forever and forever. The brochure I has clearly states that there is a third year warranty but hey don't want to accept that.....

Anybody have any other help for me? TIA

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think you're out of luck. First mistake was buying the sled without the original bill of sale available. Who doesn't keep the receipt from a $10,000+ purchase?

Since the original owner can't find the receipt he probably doesn't remember that he took the additional $250 rebate instead of the additional year of warranty either!

An expensive lesson no matter how you slice it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think you're out of luck. First mistake was buying the sled without the original bill of sale available. Who doesn't keep the receipt from a $10,000+ purchase?

Since the original owner can't find the receipt he probably doesn't remember that he took the additional $250 rebate instead of the additional year of warranty either!

An expensive lesson no matter how you slice it.
Agreed.

When I ordered mine, I received: 1-year warranty on the entire sled, 2nd year warranty on the engine only and I opted for the $250 cash instead of the quick adjust or 3rd year engine warranty..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts