Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

2014 - 800 Etec Recall

24K views 92 replies 18 participants last post by  MTNsleder 
#1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I just brought my 2014 MXZX 800 Etec into my dealer for a 'pre-season' and I was informed that there is a recall on my reed valves. I wasn't given much detail and can't seem to find much online about this.

Anybody else out there have this recall done?

Just looking for any insight on this issue?

Thanks!

#53 ·
There has been good discussion on the criteria to either trigger or not trigger a recall on a particular sled, but is there an understanding of what is actually happening when/if the problem occurs? Beyond a rave valve error code on the dash, what is actually happening in the valves?
Good question. My dealer didn't tell me when I asked. Not even sure he knew. He simply stated: "this recall needs to be done to improve the longevity of the motor"....

#54 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I bought my 14 less than a month ago and before I purchased it I specifically asked the sales guy to make sure the RAVE recall was done/claimed and was ensured it had been. Fast forward to yesterday, I'm at the dealer getting the side panel pin recall/update parts and when they run my VIN they notice that it actually has NOT been claimed! Anyways, they printed me off the bulletin and I went home to check. Of course after checking I had 1 dot and a high date code, luckily I know them well enough I can just pull the raves out myself and they'll give me the new valves to reinstall instead of dragging the sled down there and having it sit for a week or so.

If your sled has yet to be claimed just check yourself if you feel confident and if you're safe call your dealer so they can make the campaign claim. In the bulletin it said minimal wear (but still wear) happens under 5000km so I would check them asap!

I can post a photocopy of the bulletin if anyone wants to see it, you ONLY need to have RAVEs replaced if you have 1dot and a date code of 336 or higher. Anything else you're safe!

#57 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bulletin -2014-10

800Etec

Upper rave valve piston contact at/around 3000 miles, only on some vins look for dot code under pto rave. 1 dot check vin/date. No dots or 2 dots your ok.

Q: Was this a problem with manufacturing tolerances of the exhaust valves, or a problem with limiting the valve travel?

A: Bad quality control.

The dot (round punch mark) if there is on the flat surface just under the pto rave cover. Use a mirror as it's easier this way. Also on the outside of the pto cyl is a date code, if the code is less than 336 your ok, higher than 336 replace both rave valves ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE 1 DOT.

Your dealer can tell you IF yours is affected by VIN, however I was sure to check my punch marks cause my dealer has not always been right. Check the criteria above.

Hope this helps

Dan

#58 · (Edited by Moderator)
From the original posts on Main forums by dealer tech, The bad quality control sounds like some Rave valves were made slightly out of tolerance in order for them to make piston contact. Odd that nothing seems to happen until 3000 miles tho.

Either way, its a simple rave replacement, all covered by BRP....but I have yet to hear of anyone needing it done.

Dan

#60 · (Edited by Moderator)
So why would my dealer tell me to bring it in if I have two dots and a 400+ date code. Odd.
Not sure.....do you have 3000 MI (5000km) yet? If not they are not even supposed to bother until then.

Im just going by what a dealer tech posted, and what my dealer told me.

If you have over 3000 miles and it runs fine with no CEL light, then its likely fine, especially with 2 dots.

The one that my dealer told me needed it, got a CEL right around 3100 mile mark, but still ran fine.

#61 · (Edited by Moderator)
From the original posts on Main forums by dealer tech, The bad quality control sounds like some Rave valves were made slightly out of tolerance in order for them to make piston contact. Odd that nothing seems to happen until 3000 miles tho.

Either way, its a simple rave replacement, all covered by BRP....but I have yet to hear of anyone needing it done.

Dan
Sense I'm replacing them myself I'll post back with my findings, I have just over 5000kms on it too. If I see scuffed piston skirts I might cry... no CEL thankfully!

#66 · (Edited by Moderator)
doubt anything happens to piston or rings....

reason is, that the bulletin only calls for replacing rave assembly....so for the sleds that DO fall into this range, and DO get the bulletin work. Just replacing RAVES. So who knows if they can even hit or not, might be speculation. If the raves hit, then the bulletin would likely call for new pistons too.

My dealer made it sound like no big deal, the guy who did need it got a CEL and they put the new raves in, but it always ran perfectly even with CEL.

I was gonna do mine myself anyway, as I had the sled all apart and was at dealer picking up Ras2 kit....He ran my VIN before I mentioned my DOTs and he said mine was good to go.

#68 ·
I would highly doubt it too, if it ever sagged a ring you'd have a little more to do then just replace the RAVE's lol. The paper copy I have has an explanation of the problem if I remember right, I just skimmed through it and read the stuff pertaining to checking the codes. Will post tomorrow.

#69 ·
Had my sled at dealer last month. Mine needs the recall. Problem is, sled only has 2200 miles on it and dealer says Recall work can't be done until sled hits 3000?!?! *%@ BRP??
Yeah to me that doesn't make much sense! If it was already there why don't they just swap them and save you the trouble of coming back later! If somethings going to have the "possibility" of failing at 3000miles+ I can't see any reason not to change them asap? It's like carrying around a time bomb and being told to come back when it closer to going off LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.