Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
From the original posts on Main forums by dealer tech, The bad quality control sounds like some Rave valves were made slightly out of tolerance in order for them to make piston contact. Odd that nothing seems to happen until 3000 miles tho.

Either way, its a simple rave replacement, all covered by BRP....but I have yet to hear of anyone needing it done.

Dan
Sense I'm replacing them myself I'll post back with my findings, I have just over 5000kms on it too. If I see scuffed piston skirts I might cry... no CEL thankfully!

·
Registered
97 Posts
So why would my dealer tell me to bring it in if I have two dots and a 400+ date code. Odd.
They probably just want to verify or look for other work needed. A friend just bought a 14 gade and we checked, he had 2 dots. We just called the dealer and he marked it as claimed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thinking about it wouldn't it snag the ring first if it did ever get THAT close? That would be very noticeable I'd imagine lol

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
That's the part of the story we don't know. And the bulletin doesn't tell.
What happened to the engines in that "range" that have the problem. Lol

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
doubt anything happens to piston or rings....

reason is, that the bulletin only calls for replacing rave assembly....so for the sleds that DO fall into this range, and DO get the bulletin work. Just replacing RAVES. So who knows if they can even hit or not, might be speculation. If the raves hit, then the bulletin would likely call for new pistons too.

My dealer made it sound like no big deal, the guy who did need it got a CEL and they put the new raves in, but it always ran perfectly even with CEL.

I was gonna do mine myself anyway, as I had the sled all apart and was at dealer picking up Ras2 kit....He ran my VIN before I mentioned my DOTs and he said mine was good to go.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Had my sled at dealer last month. Mine needs the recall. Problem is, sled only has 2200 miles on it and dealer says Recall work can't be done until sled hits 3000?!?! WTF BRP??

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would highly doubt it too, if it ever sagged a ring you'd have a little more to do then just replace the RAVE's lol. The paper copy I have has an explanation of the problem if I remember right, I just skimmed through it and read the stuff pertaining to checking the codes. Will post tomorrow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had my sled at dealer last month. Mine needs the recall. Problem is, sled only has 2200 miles on it and dealer says Recall work can't be done until sled hits 3000?!?! *%@ BRP??
Yeah to me that doesn't make much sense! If it was already there why don't they just swap them and save you the trouble of coming back later! If somethings going to have the "possibility" of failing at 3000miles+ I can't see any reason not to change them asap? It's like carrying around a time bomb and being told to come back when it closer to going off LOL.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts