Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I just brought my 2014 MXZX 800 Etec into my dealer for a 'pre-season' and I was informed that there is a recall on my reed valves. I wasn't given much detail and can't seem to find much online about this.

Anybody else out there have this recall done?

Just looking for any insight on this issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
First I've heard of this.

Anyone know of Doo's recall notification protocol?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I've heard of this.

Anyone know of Doo's recall notification protocol?
To be honest, it doesn't really feel like there is much of a protocol. I don't think the public gets access to recall bulletins, and I've never received anything in the mail stating that there's a recall on my sled. The only reason I know about this one is becasue I was at my dealer a few weeks ago, and they mentioned it to me. MIght be worth calling your dealer to ask. Please let me know if you doo, and what they say. Maybe only the Shorty's are affected and the Gade's are ok....

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Ok thanks.

Sounds like it's a similar recall situation with the auto industry......probably only notify where the law says they have to ie safety recall or some other predefined functionality issues

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks.

Sounds like it's a similar recall situation with the auto industry......probably only notify where the law says they have to ie safety recall or some other predefined functionality issues
That's a great thought... That never even crossed my mind. When I was at the dealer they mentioned the recall was to "improve the longevitiy of the motor" (or something to that effect). But has nothing to do with safety. I'll bet you're right, they are likey only required to notify us if it's a safety thing. Thanks Neurotoxin.

I'd still like some details on this specific recall if anyone knows anything.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just got off the phone with my dealer... He pulled up the bulletin while on phone, said at 5000km to bring in sled and get the
exhaust valves checked, replace if needed!!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I'll be out of warranty before I hit 5k

I'll make sure I get them inspected yearly though

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off the phone with my dealer... He pulled up the bulletin while on phone, said at 5000km to bring in sled and get the
exhaust valves checked, replace if needed!!!
Thanks Gonzoz. Just to clairify - did he say exhaust valve or reed valve?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so I just called my dealer again... Gonzoz was right. It's an exhaust valve thing. NOT a reed vavle. I was originally told it was a reed valve - but that was not correct. And apparently it won't be on all 800's. They need to check a "dot code" or something like that - and that will let them know if the replacement needs to happen. Guess it depends on when your 800 came off the assembly line. Apparently there are 2 other recalls - 1. computer update so fix the "dimming of the headlight at start-up" and 2. Provide a seperate ground for the gauge cluster.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Oh ya....it's a recall....no worries on the warranty lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wonder how many days this will take at the dealer to get done. Lol
I dropped mine off Moday morning and they said they hoped to have it done by the end of the week.... Doesn't bother me when there's no snow on the ground!!

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
these bulletins were posted several weeks back.

Rave valve, and how to check if yours is needed to be replaced.

Bulletins
-2014-10

800 etec, upper rave valve piston contact at/around 3000 miles,
only on some vins. look for dot code under pto rave.
1 dot ck vin/date. no dots or 2 dots your ok.

Bad quality control. the dot (round punch mark) if there is on the flat
surface just under the pto rave cover. just use a mirror as it's easier this way.
also on the outside of the pto cyl is a date code, if the code is less than 336 your ok ,
higher than 336 replace both rave valves ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE 1 DOT .

Dan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
these bulletins were posted several weeks back.

Rave valve, and how to check if yours is needed to be replaced.

Bulletins
-2014-10

800 etec, upper rave valve piston contact at/around 3000 miles,
only on some vins. look for dot code under pto rave.
1 dot ck vin/date. no dots or 2 dots your ok.

Bad quality control. the dot (round punch mark) if there is on the flat
surface just under the pto rave cover. just use a mirror as it's easier this way.
also on the outside of the pto cyl is a date code, if the code is less than 336 your ok ,
higher than 336 replace both rave valves ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE 1 DOT .

Dan
Thanks for this Rockerdan. I'm guessing my sled met all the criteria as I just got a call from my dealer saying my sled did apply and had the recall done. I'm not sure if I'm happy about this, or not…

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
haha.. Ya im a little confused myself and dont currently have access to my sled to take a look either.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts