Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
So I've put only 50 miles on this season [ugh!] and took my belt cover off today to switch belts and I notice a fair amount of grease....under the belt cover, down on the tunnel, and pretty much everywhere on the PTO side. I know this isn't good, but luckily I caught it before I roasted the crank bearing. Has anyone else seen this on a two year old sled...?? I have 1600 miles on it, and other than the common hanging idle issue, it runs well. Next is how difficult is it gonna be for a grease monkey like me to change it and repack with enough isoflex to protect the bearing...?? Just a little miffed that my rather new sled is flinging grease all over the place.... :dry_old: :dry_old: :mad_old: :mad_old:

P.S. When I did the preseason this fall, there was no grease anywhere....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope....nothing unusual at all till I took that cover off...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really...??? Indeed I've heard that a couple times but never thought about the seal. Can't remember if I heard backfire when I shut it down, or going into RER....either way, I definitely heard it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what's the deal behind the backfiring?? Carbs are clean as hell and all stock....390 mains with 17.5 pilots....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prolly a little lean....air screws are out 1-1/2 turns....is that right??

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 14 sport had a blown pto seal at 800 miles. Luckily there was no catastrophic damage. remove old seal, wipe old grease, add new isoflex and replace the seal. Clean your primary while it's off.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm being told that if you doo this seal with the motor in the sled, it'll only happen again....?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got no drilled/tapped holes to put a retainer on, otherwise I would in a second....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Blaine....how much isoflex did you put back in...?? Cuz I know there's such a thing as over-packing the bearing....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very interested in this as well.

Any special hints for re-installing the new seal? Pull the old one with a sealpick, clean and re-grease.. then how do I press the new one back in?

Just noticed a little bit of grease when i was changing plugs. Pulled the primary and sure enough - Seal appears to have blown out.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had mcb performance do it. He drilled and taped 4 small holes and put it on there. Matt will sell you the kit to do it

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny....that's who I ordered the seal kit from...! But the $64k question is how much isoflex to use when yur just replacing that one seal like I am....anyone??

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
Pics of what I used to install mine on my 500ss in this thread
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1244338-dose-the-pto-bearing-on-a-500ss-need-to-be-inspected-like-it-dose-on-the-600ho/

Get a fine thread 14mm bolt to thread into the crank. Heat gun to warm the case after you get as much of the old grease out as you can. It will take awhile to warm but safer thank warming it up with a torch, imo. Put some ISO on the outer seal lip and inner lip for some lubrication.

Once you get it going in square, itll press right in.

Then picked up a 6-32 tap and drill bit kit like this
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/720209-irwin-hanson-self-aligning-pts-tap-and-drill-bit.html?feedsource=1&gclid=CKitjOrP8MoCFYdehgodilQAiw

drill 5/8" deep, 4 holes closer to the outside of the face around the seal, tap it and then get some round head 6-32 x 3/8 machine screws and some fender washers.

Everything thing clears the clutch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Man, just noticed grease on my clutch side as well, 2016 600 sport. Brand new yet, 2100 kms I can't believe this. Not looking forward to this fix. Guess I should check with dealer before removing clutch as it still has almost three years of warranty left on it. This really sucks.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a 15 summit sport. Similar issues with the grease on the pto side. Sent into dealer and a y pipe bolt backed out. Dealer replaced and re torqued bolts and cleaned up motor. Just did a couple hundred miles and all looks good.

Dealer told me that amount of oil was typical in blow by foe this motor

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting this, I'll have to investigate further. I really hope it's just a y-pipe bolt. The fluid is mostly underneath that area, I was adjusting belt when I noticed it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts