Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a quick test drive of a 2015 GT 600 ACE the other day and was very impressed with the low torque and quick pick up of the sled. The darn thing lifts the skis for crying out loud..

This particular sled is a great deal, but I've found an even better deal on 2013 GT 600 ACE. Both have low miles (1,100 on the 2015 and 1,600 on the 2013) so that's a non-issue. I have not seen the 2013 yet as it's a few hours drive away..

I believe that the 2013 does not have the ITC and the three modes like the 2015 but essentially other than that they are the same machine (with different plastic? REV-XP vs REV-XS?).

Are there any other differences that I should be considering?

Thanks!

Paul.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a 2011 and a 2016 GT SPORT 600 ACE. I'm pretty sure '13 isn't much different than the '11 as ITC didn't show up till '14 I beleive.

Here are the differences I've noticed between our '11 and '16 GT Sport

1) 3 different drive modes (ITS) on the '16
2) Throttle by Wire on the '16
3) Rotatable Throttle on '16
3) Higher windshield on the 16 ( '11 has High, '16 has Ultra High )
4) Different Drive Belts (11 has no cogs on top,'16 does cogs on top)
5) Different Track ('11 has .75", '16 has 1.25" lugs) and the '16 is a 16" inch track whereas the '11 is a 15" track
6) Belt Shield holds the spare belt, and tools are attached to it, whereas the the '11's belt is stored under the front hood and the tools are in a pouch attached to the shield.
7) The spring preload adjuster tool on the '16 is better at grabbing the pre-loads due to a more rounded design.

Other than that, the 2 sleds are pretty much the same. Both have the SC5M (Sport model). The LE and SE have the R-Motion suspension.

Let me know if you have any other questions

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pwrplay.

Did some of the GT's come standard with the fan-cooled radiator? I thought I read somewhere they did for a certain period of time, and then it was an option... Does that add a lot of weight if the 2013 happens to have it?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Both our '11 and '16 have the rad in the front. The rads are pretty small but not sure how much significant weight they add. It' sure nice not having overheating issues though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Paul, you'll definitely want the small radiator, which I think all of the ACE models have.

I recommend the '15, which I believe uses the XS chassis, which has heated storage above the gauges (glovebox), much better wind protection than the XP chassis, and, of course, the iTc throttle which is awesome for off-trail riding using Eco mode. Not that your GT 600 ACE will ever need a new belt, but the spare belt holder in the XP chassis is a PITA. Eco allows such gradual clutch engagement and smooth power delivery, that climbing steep hills at 2 mph is not a problem. No two-stroke will do that.

The low end power will surprise you. I think we expect it to be slow, and it is far from that 0-30 mph. As I have noted, the 600 ACE has good "trail power" - usable power for riding most trails except long, flat open stretches (through Provincial parks, for example) or lakes.

PwrPlay - my 2016 GT has the 15" wide track with 1.25" lugs. I think I read that the Canadian models have the 16" wide track still...?

·
Registered
244 Posts
My mistake. The '16 track is 16" w/. 1.25 lugs. I want to put this same track on the ''11 next season. Much better grip out of the corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the XS chassis make that much of a difference in terms of wind? I'm coming off a 1996 Polaris XLT touring which isn't bad in terms of wind.. I just figured that any newer machine would be better than what I'm currently riding! LOL

·
Registered
644 Posts
Does the XS chassis make that much of a difference in terms of wind? I'm coming off a 1996 Polaris XLT touring which isn't bad in terms of wind.. I just figured that any newer machine would be better than what I'm currently riding! LOL
Paul, actually it is the opposite. No modern sled is going to compete with the old Polaris "sit back" chassis, or any other manufacturer from that time period for that matter, in regards to wind protection. I have an '01 Polaris and you just don't get the exposure on those things sitting that far back behind a giant hood and windshield.

Yes, the XS is that much better at wind protection. The XP chassis is probably the worst for keeping the wind away as it was launched in a brief era (around 2005-10) where sleds had essentially no windshields or leg protection. BRP addressed this in the XS chassis by creating aerodynamics the divert more wind away from the rider even though they look very similar. My former GSX was a 2012 XP and my quads would get very cold, even with wind deflectors installed. Being cold is never an issue on the XS chassis. Trust me, there is significant difference.

·
Registered
644 Posts
One more thing, that is probably not a shock...

compared to the 96 XLT, a great sled in its day, the 600 ACE GT is far beyond even the most remote comparison in any area. The ride, quietness, efficiency, seating position, comfort, handling and more are light years ahead.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny you should mention that. A friend and former colleague I reconnected with the other day invited me to go sledding with him in Barry's Bay, Ontario today. He had his older 2008 MXZ 600 SDI which I rode most of the time, but he has a 2015 MXZ sport 600 carb. I rode the 2015 for a good 1/2 hour before we stopped for lunch, and I will say you are right in that the seating position and overall comfort were excellent! He is also suggesting I get the 2015 (although he is 2 stroke guy so thinks I should be a 2 stroke.. lol... then I told him how I lifted the skis on it!). But the entire time we rode the max speed we did was around 40mph... nothing I couldn't have kept up with in the 600 ACE. So I'm definitely leaning towards the 2015.

I will say, though... the 2008 SDI, with it's studded track.. was FAST! I gunned it for fun to see how it went..and frankly it scared me! Not to sound like a wuss or anything, but it actually scared me that's how quick it was... So I'm more convinced that I do not need huge power to have fun on a sled...

Thanks for everyone's input!

Paul.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Funny you should mention that. A friend and former colleague I reconnected with the other day invited me to go sledding with him in Barry's Bay, Ontario today. He had his older 2008 MXZ 600 SDI which I rode most of the time, but he has a 2015 MXZ sport 600 carb. I rode the 2015 for a good 1/2 hour before we stopped for lunch, and I will say you are right in that the seating position and overall comfort were excellent! He is also suggesting I get the 2015 (although he is 2 stroke guy so thinks I should be a 2 stroke.. lol... then I told him how I lifted the skis on it!). But the entire time we rode the max speed we did was around 40mph... nothing I couldn't have kept up with in the 600 ACE. So I'm definitely leaning towards the 2015.

I will say, though... the 2008 SDI, with it's studded track.. was FAST! I gunned it for fun to see how it went..and frankly it scared me! Not to sound like a wuss or anything, but it actually scared me that's how quick it was... So I'm more convinced that I do not need huge power to have fun on a sled...

Thanks for everyone's input!

Paul.
The 600 SDI may be the fastest two-stroke 600 cc engine ever made. They really rocket, especially 30-50 mph.

That being said, did you notice how loud, thrashy and raspy it sounded, especially with the throttle open most of the way? That sound is still there while you are finishing your 4th hour of riding - and, by then, it is a din in your helmet causing a headache. This is why I traded my 600 Etec (a much quieter motor than the SDI) for the 900 ACE.

Buy two-stroke snowmobile if you:

-Value snappy, instant throttle response

-Need a high power, lightweight combination (for mountain climbing)

-Aren't bothered by a noisy, harsh powerplant with excessive vibration

-Do not mind $45 per gallon oil

-Engine longevity is not important

1 - 11 of 11 Posts