Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.
Last weekend the suspension springs seemed to be very week and we cranked the quick adjust and blocks just to make it back home. Wife's sled and she's around 125 lbs. The suspension wouldn't come back all the way to the top unless we pulled it up. Sat low.
It sat on the stand at home overnight in a heated garage and next day all quick adjustments seemed to work again.

Does condensation get into the system ?
Is freeze up common. ?
Is checking/draining/flushing fluid easy? .....looking for a link to show how as it sounds like it's not in the service manual even if I pay to download one.

Should I just ignor it and try again when the snow comes back to town.

·
Registered
16 Posts
lilrez-

Have the 2 rear shocks ever been serviced/rebuilt yet? If they haven't, they are overdue. Worn/too many miles on rear shocks will cause issues with the suspension not topping back out when there is no rider on the sled. Service/rebuild involves a shock cleaning and oil change, nitrogen recharge, maybe seals, and maybe new chrome rods depending on condition. It takes a few special tools and skills to do this yourself. For a shop to do this, most Ski-Doo guys use Hygear Suspension, Maize Kustoms, or Monster Performance. Monster Performance usually is the most recommended. If the ski shocks haven't been done yet, those are overdue as well.

The quick adjust, for the torsion spring preload, is kind of built like a shock absorber, where there is a set of hydraulic pistons and some oil. When thawed out, if it still functions, and holds position throughout it's full range of travel, it should be working ok. However, if it doesn't work and hold position, when the sled is frozen, and there aren't any external ice/snow chunks in the way, then it sounds like moisture has made it's way inside of the hydraulic circuit and froze up. The servicing of quick adjust would involve a cleaning and oil change, and the correct volume of new oil needs to be used, and all of the air properly bled out. Any good shock rebuilding shock as mentioned above should be able to handle the quick adjust rebuild.

Most dealers do not rebuild shocks and stuff in house, they usually send them out to guys like mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Should I just ignor it and try again when the snow comes back to town.
If you wait and try it again you will get the same results and have to limp home again. It's time to have all your shocks serviced. Find someone who does these all the time so you don't create other issues. I have had many Ski-Doo shocks serviced on my sleds over the years at my dealer. They do them in-house and I've never needed more than a cleaning, oil change and fresh nitrogen charge. It really depends how the sled is stored and if you have any corrosion issues. If the shocks are clean most likely that's all you will need.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The QA adjusters have lots of issues. They just leak fluid out at the piston near shock all the time. Mine was warrantied by Ski-Doo and dealer installed a brand new assembly and that one leaked right out of the box. It is a poor design and supposedly doo has another new o-ring that is supposed to fix this issue. I do agree with previous posts that your shocks need to be serviced.
I will not be getting QA system on next new doo sled.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a million folks. I'm from Canada so I don't think hygear would be an option with respect to shipping , the can dollar and that the whole system would have to be sent down. Sounds like a dealer near us can service them.

I could send them to shockec in Canada. if it was just a simple shock rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts