Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic seal on the brake side of my Expedition popped out at 11,000 miles. I have a brother
making a two day drive to come ski doing. For you experts: is it possible to change the left hand bearing out with out removing the drive axle from the sled. The other right hand bearing and seal are good. I am a mechanic and should have all the tools that I need to do the job.
I just need some guidance from some of you experts on this form if this can be done and how to do it. Thanks in
advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More information: This is the plastic seal in the ball bearing itself the keeps the grease in ball bearing. This is on
the brake and caliper side.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm guessing the seal popped because the bearing is failing and getting a wobble. If that the case you could take the track tension off, remove the brake caliper and disc, and try to tap the bearing off from the tunnel side (or maybe get a 2 jaw puller on it from the brake side).

But i think you'll find great difficulty in doing it that way and you'll need to pull the driveshaft to get it replaced.

If the bearing is not going bad, you could pump a little grease in the ball cage and pop the seal back on. Could do that and see if it'll go one more ride :)

Heres a great vid showing how to get the driveshaft out:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I was hoping for a quick fix but it looks like the axle has to come out. I will grease the bearing and try to pop the seal back in. I inspected the bearing with a mirror and the cage and balls look good, I pryed in the axle to check for play and the seem to be none. I think I will grease it each morning while my company is here and see if it will make it through the week if the seal comes back out. I ordered two axle bearing and the chain case seal and will do the whole axle with new bearings and seals. Its oil change time soon so next week the fun begins. Today I am fabricating a brake hub assembly puller. I have a good 2 jaw bearing puller so hope that will pull the axle bearing off. I am hoping that I have the last two weeks of March and the first two weeks of April to test everything out. We still have two feet of powder snow here on the lakes and three feet of ice so should work out to give it a good test before storage time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Its a big job! I would consider just greasing it and watching it until the season is over. Then dig into it?

I Just pulled mine apart (doing a track change). Didnt need to use a puller to get the brake side bearing out.. just slipped out of housing.

Since the chaincase will be apart, it is only another 5 min to pull the jackshaft out as well. Then you can do the left side bearing on that (which notoriously can run dry). The right side jack and drive bearings are in the chaincase and last alot longer since they are near the chain oil. I doubt you will beed to use that bearing and seal you bought for the right side driveshaft.

My sled has 10000 miles and also needed a few idler bearings in the skid, hifax, limiter strap.

Couple hundred in bearings and is a small price for another 10000 miles of worry free riding!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 89MX Great response. am glad you mentioned the jackshaft bearing I never thought of doing that. Makes sense to do it all. Was your track done? mine looks like it will go another 10.000 miles, My hifax is still over 50% left. I will check the idler wheel bearings too. Your right 10,000 worry free miles is priceless. What we saved on 2 stroke oil and gas will way more than pay for any repairs we have, I can see that 600ACE motor easily going beyond the 30,000 mile mark, trouble free. Have you changed spark plugs yet? My Honda crv went over 200,000 klm on the orginal set of iridiam spark plugs so I don't intend to ever change mine. The clutch and driven pulley and belt are still orginal and good yet. I changed the gas filter at around 6000 miles and have not changed it since

·
Registered
557 Posts
This new track is going on my 1200. But I know alot of guys get 15000+ miles on the 600ace track (probably because it has less hp and average speeds), so I bet ypu are fine on that for awhile.

I'm doing the "cant ride if it breaks" stuff since everything is apart (rear and upper idler skid bearings, left side drive and jackshaft bearings)

So far two days work into it... just now ready to start putting back together :)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts