Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty, wanting to tow a 16ft open 3 place wondering what people have all pulled with a liberty and how it handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
Liberty is a 6 cylinder correct ? It will pull it but I don't think I'd try to make a 400 mile trip with it. 3 sleds 3 dudes and gear will work the sheet out of your transmission and motor. Dont get me wrong it will do it but at a cost. Riding closer to home you can get by but a long trip lugging up and down hills shifting all the time will tax your jeep some.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
This does seem like it would be pushing the limits of it...

·
Registered
957 Posts
I towed a 4 place open with a chey asto van (AWD) with a 4.3L. worked ok, took it very easy on it no issue, BUT changed to a suburban after the first year of doing that, just did not feel the van had the size and weight needed to do the job if situations got messy (bad roads).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Around town sure, long distances probably not. I guess you have to look at the tow rating of your vehicle and the total weight of you trailer and sleds.

On a side note, we tow our two place enclosed with my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee all the time and it does great.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd say you may have some trouble with that rig and a three place, especially if the roads get hairy or you have any terrain your dealing with. As others have said, need to get to a place a short distance, sure, any miles/hwy, I'd use a bigger rig.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 1992 reg cab long box f150 with a 5speed and the I6, last year I pulled a 2 place and a sled in the box out to the UP. Truck had its pants full, this year we're going back to UP with a few more people that's the reason for taking the jeep. I'll have to hook it up to jeep and see maybe have to take the f150 and another vehicle

·
Registered
273 Posts
Similar yet completely different in a few aspects... I had a Jeep Liberty CRD that towed my mastercraft Maristar 210 with no problem. We didn't go anywhere not fully loaded. like 5 people packed in the vehicle full tank of diesel, gear and a full tank of gas in the boat. We went from my wifes parents and back a bunch, 5 hours one way. I did put electric over hydraulic disc brakes and a brake controller to make it safe. I think you will be ok just make sure the brakes are in good condition and maybe consider doing a brake conversion like I did if you want to keep doing it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do it. Maybe for short trips around town (when roads are good), but def not for long drives and in sketchy road conditions.

On to the legal side, overall we would need to know more about total loads, vehicle configuration, etc. From some quick searching I did on your rig this is where I would get concerns:

- Payload is 1150 lbs

- Towing 5000 lbs

**This is depending on vehicle configuration

What you need to do is locate the load tag information on the vehicle and go from there. This tag is usually located around the drivers door, and usually on the pillar. This will list out a couple of things you want to look at GVWR and GCWR. GVWR is the overall vehicle load max. This includes the vehicle, fluids, people, gear, accssories, etc; but does not include a trailer. The GCWR will be the GVWR plus the trailer, and that is truly how much you can tow.

Reality is 1150lbs of payload is not that much. If hauling 3 sleds, that means you have 3 people in the vehicle, and 3 peoples worth of gear, plus anything else. Then you will have the tongue weight of the trailer to add into that mix too, for example if you have 300 lbs of tongue weight; now you only have 850 of carrying capacity in the vehicle, which is not very much. In the end, if you were to get pulled over by the DOT they would probably have a fun time with you (or worse yet, if you get in an accident, chances are this will all come back to haunt you).

Lastly, just to add. Make sure if you do this you have trailer brakes that function. There is nothing worse than a heavy trailer behind a light short wheel based vehicle when things get hairy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 1992 reg cab long box f150 with a 5speed and the I6, last year I pulled a 2 place and a sled in the box out to the UP. Truck had its pants full, this year we're going back to UP with a few more people that's the reason for taking the jeep. I'll have to hook it up to jeep and see maybe have to take the f150 and another vehicle

I wouldn't, the liberty is tiny and you'd have a case of the tail wagging the dog here if the roads get hairy. Regardless of power the longer the wheel base on the tow vehicle the better. Nobody else you ride with has a bigger vechile?

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
I'd say you may have some trouble with that rig and a three place, especially if the roads get hairy or you have any terrain your dealing with. As others have said, need to get to a place a short distance, sure, any miles/hwy, I'd use a bigger rig.
agreed

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
I wouldn't. The Liberty is good for getting to and fro. Groceries, and maybe towing the lawn tractor in a small utility trailer short distances. But a 3 place with 1500 pounds of weight on top of the trailer, and no trailer brakes. That's a wreck waiting to happen on winter roads.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Pulling is one thing, stopping is another...then add in questionable roads with that short wheel base, and you might get in trouble.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
the CRD would be the only way to go, with brakes, good ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts