Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 summit 800 etec. I put a new battery in it today, however the electric start and reverse button does nothing. No reverse, no electric start. I also have code 1428 coming up regarding the expansion pipe sensor. I’ve read that a short in the brake light could be an issue. I have no bulb in the brake light. When I put one in, 1157, and started it it didn’t turn on at all. I noticed there are two fuse spots by the battery tray. I only have one fuse, should there be two? Really looking forward to next winter and getting away from carbs and having electric start. Any ideas on what might be the issues?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Two fuses. Looking at battery from side , fuse holders on top of battery box are 15 amp on left to charge battery, 20 amp on right for start and RER. Start there, pun intended.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,332 Posts
Also on the battery positive side there might be two wires that should be connected on that year...

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
On my 16 800 ETEC, I have a 5 amp on left and 25 on right. But I am pretty sure the fuses I suggested are correct for your year. Somebody might chime in. There may be a reason why the previous owner pulled the fuses. There may be an issue with wiring, the starter motor itself or something else that made them pull the fuse(for safety?) I would try to jump starter direct from battery to see if it reacts properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put in a 15 and 20 like suggested. Now I get a click coming from the solenoid but doesn’t turn over. Also now when I start it and hit the button for reverse it beeps 3-4 times and the engine stops like I hit the kill switch.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
You can try a slightly higher amp fuse in starter circuit, but I would bet the issue is with the starter motor itself. It may be shot/locked up. Do you know how to jump the solenoid? You can try that as well just to see if the 12v spins the shaft. If it does, that eliminates the starter motor. Did the 20a fuse blow when you attempted to estart?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried jumping it across the connectors and didn’t get anything. Both fuses are still good

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Check the battery lead to starter, make sure connection is good at starter. Sounds like the starter is bad. Probably why fuse was pulled.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Rebuild it. A lot of times people will spray WD-40 on the starter when it starts sticking. That is a temp fix and usually leads to rebuilding.

Basically there are just a few parts that wear:

Bendix - spiral gear that pushes the starter gear out. Usually doesn't fail, but often gets gummed up and sticks. Belt dust accelerates the process.

Brushes - These wear down and can even break. Typically you have to disassemble the motor assembly to get at them.

Bearings - Two main bearings, one on each end of the shaft. The one on the start gear end can get wallowed out and typically requires replacing the whole starter, but the brass bearings inside can be replaced by common ones you can pick up at a bearing or electrical rebuilders store/shop.

I always figure, if the starter is bad, I have nothing to lose by tearing it apart and troubleshooting the issue.

also, some electrical rebuilders will rebuild snowmobile/ATV starters, but I've found they really don't like to. Probably repair cost vs replacement cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I ordered a new starter since I found a pretty good deal. Hopefully that does the truck. I cleaned the terminals and still was just getting the clicking, put the battery on a charger too just to make sure. I did get reverse to work one time. Revved the engine just a bit and it worked. Couldn’t duplicate it though.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,332 Posts
There have been some issues with the starter reverse switch getting dirty or the teeny wire inside broken...

·
Registered
519 Posts
With your reverse issue, is the sled doing anything? Ie it dies and never refires as it should?
You might have a bad switch if you have nothing. In that case spray the switch down with wd40 and keep hitting the switch to work it in. Plastic sometimes builds up on the contacts and wd4" usually will clean it off. Or pull the switch and lightly clean the contacts with sandpaper.
If it's just going dead when you hit the switch, bust out the comp tester and check it

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
all typical issues, i had them. control block on handle bar is probably junk, had to replace mine. have someone tap the starter while you push the button. had to clean and lube mine but would still occasionally stick. have heard the aftermarket starters are junk but who knows. try the reverse with no belt, if too tight, won't work. good luck !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replaced the starter and that fixed that part of the issue. Going to replace the isoflex while I’ve got the primary off, then I’ll put it back together and maybe magic happened and the reverse will start working lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Did you do a compression test? If it’s low then RER won’t work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts