Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction on this issue. I have a 2011 MXZ 600 Sport. I just replaced the oil filter and coolant on the machine. Now the machine won't start unless it is completely cool. It fires up instantly when at ambient temperature, but if I shut the machine down for even a minute and try to start, it just cranks (electric start). It doesn't give a hint of starting. Even if I let it sit for 15 minutes, it won't start. The engine needs to cool down completely before it will start again. I must have caused the problem when I pulled the oil tank to change the oil filter. Not sure how replacing the coolant would have caused this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Maybe try cracking the throttle slightly while starting. My pull start Doos always needed that when warm. Did you purge the air out of the system by raising the front of the sled higher than the back while running? Did you purge the air bubbles from the oil pump lines?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I tried working the throttle a bit and still nothing. I did not bleed the oil line when I changed the oil filter. Unlike the 550F Sport I have, the oil pump on my 600 Sport is completely inaccessible, so I couldn't figure out how to do it. If you have any suggestions let me know. I did bleed the coolant system when I changed it. I raised the front end of the machine with a few logs from the wood pile. Maybe I didn't raise it high enough. I'll give it another try in case there is still a bit of air trapped in the cooling system. What is frustrating working on the machines is not having a maintenance manual. I've been searching online to find one for months. Both my machines are 2011 MXZ Sport models (600 and 550F). Do you know where I might find maintenance manuals for them? Thanks again for you help!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sorry, I don't really have any other suggestions, other than pulling the oil pump cable while it's running until any bubbles in the line disappear and to feel the tunnel heat exchanger to make sure it is getting warm.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
How did you replace the coolant and oil? What did you remove or disconnect?

Did you check the DESS connector?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. To change the coolant, I simply pulled the lowest hose I could access on the front of the engine. Not sure I got every bit of old coolant out, but I think that most of it drained. Then I just reconnected the hose. To replace the oil filter, I had to remove the oil tank which meant disconnecting a number of connections. I checked and rechecked all the connections when I was finished to make sure all were back in place. It is definitely possible that I missed something. I assumed that it was not an issue with the DESS connector since the machine starts easily when it is cold. Would the DESS connection be impacted by the temperature of the engine to prevent it from starting?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Heat can create increased resistance so if there is something that isn't connected well enough it is possible the heat from the engine could increase the resistance enough to not allow current to pass through.

Hopefully this is not your issue but my cousins 07-800 had a computer issue. As soon as the engine was hot it wouldn't restart and we had to wait until it was cold. Took anywhere from 15-30 minutes. It never stalled the sled when running and would only react that way on a re-start. I'd keep this as an option if you can't find anything else wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts