Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. I've got my very first problem with my favorite sled. 2011 GSX 600 Etec. It has been stored in my garage for a couple months since bringing it in off the clam shell for the season. It was properly summarized using the auto-fog procedure. I usually start it every once in a while once its in the garage. Last week we finally got enough snow to ride it. It started up normal and idled fine. Once the warm-up was complete I drove it half way around my pond (probably 6-700 feet). It was running fine then out of nowhere the sled started acting like it was cutting out. To me it seemed like either no spark or no fuel. I was able to limp it back to the garage where it sat until yesterday when I began looking into it. So far all I've done to remedy the problem is drain the gas since it was left over from last year (had stabil in it). I put in 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane gas and its still acting up.

Here are some facts:

1. Sled has only ~1300 miles on it. I must assume the plugs are original since I have owned it since 2013 and never changed them. Never had a reason. Sled had 360 miles on it when I purchased it.
  2. Fuel filter is likely original. I have never changed it.
  3. I can get it to start but it won't stay running unless I stay on the throttle and feather it. Even then it is running terribly like the spark is intermittent. Seems like higher rpm helps?
  4. If I had to guess it's (sometimes) running on one cylinder
  5. I am not seeing any check engine light illuminated
  6. The y-pipe seems to feel equally hot on both sides, but this may not be accurate since one side may be affecting the other?
  7. I pulled the PTO side plug and it was black and dry. Hoping this is just due to the extra oil not being burned off yet from summarization. I did not attempt to pull the mag plug, I don't have the correct angled socket.
  8. I only run BRP full synthetic oil and 93 Octane. Unfortunately the gas always contains ethanol but I use Stabil religiously.

So if anyone has and ideas what ailing this sled, please chime in. My thoughts are:

1. Plugs need to be replaced? I plan to do this regardless.
  2. Bad fuel pump?
  3. Bad / dirty injector?
  4. Bad Coil
  5. EGT sensor? Assuming it has one?
  6. Mouse nest in exhaust?

I'm not a fan of taking this into the dealer but will if necessary. The codes probably need to be checked. I've always fixed my own sleds, but I've never torn into the etec. Accessing everything is more difficult than I am used to and I can't even find a good Youtube video on changing the plugs on this thing. Guess I'm getting old, LOL. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ran mint before. Low miles. Stored it. Started it multiple times in garage (could have fouled plugs)
Old fuel. You drained it. New fuel. No engine codes.

I think you have already identified next step. Change the plugs and add in some seafoam. First then try again.

With injectors, voltage, pumps etc etc you will normally get an engine code.

Start eliminating the smallest to the biggest.

Check all your wiring, mice and sleds don't mix.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mill, here's an update and it's good news. I put new plugs in this morning and that did the trick. I started with the easy, PTO side. Once I got that one in I tried to start it. It was immediately running 100% better and idled on it's own. I went ahead and changed the mag side plug just for piece of mind. At first it was not a very smooth idle and it was smoking much more than normal. Once warmed up I jacked up the back and spun the track some. After a few minutes the engine seems to have cleared out the excess oil. Good to go now, just need snow! Indexing and installing the plugs was pretty cool too. 21 ft. lbs. of torque and they were right were they needed to be. Not rocket science.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts