Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Had my sled recall/rebuild done over the summer by a local dealer to avoid any down time this winter. I have been out a few times this year only to have the knock sensor & rev limiter ruin the ride each time. I bought my sled new in 2011 and it always ran flawless until the rebuild.

Before and after the rebuild the sled would fire up on one pull and run like a top at idle. Since the recall, it runs well for a bit and then bam, the knock sensor trips, beeps are audible and then the dash flashes KNOCK followed by REV LIMITER.

My first ride this season was a test run for a few minutes just to make sure there would be no surprises, and the knock sensor went off near the end of the ride for the first time ever. I/we assumed it must be fuel related so we treated the fuel even though we put fuel stabilizer in it at the end of last season. We added a few gallons of 110 race fuel and some other crap that was recommended to purge the ethanol as I was told by some that ethanol has messed with their machines. I haver never had an issue with ethanol but thought it couldn't hurt.

On the first real ride, I spent a majority of my time cursing at my machine, stopping and starting it to reset the rev limiter. It seemed to work fine until I was in a climb or really needed the power and then bam I would be stuck in a stupid place feeling dumb and waiting for my buddies to come to my rescue. I got stuck a lot that day as a result of the sled de-tuning and at first it was annoying but it soon became almost unbearable.

After that ride, I brought the sled in to the dealer only to have them tell me there were NO codes. I couldn't believe what they were saying. No codes when I must have had the sensor go off 20 + times. The dealer flashed the machine and installed an updated for the knock sensor. I wanted to test it before the next ride but I could not find the time. I quickly found out on my next ride that it had NOT fixed the problem. As a result, I spent another Saturday watching my buddies have fun while I tried to think of good reasons to not completely lose my mind as I again stopped and starting my machine all day. We stopped at one point to replace the spark plugs. We pulled the plugs and they looked used but happy. I searched my pack and remembered that I had taken the new plugs out when cleaning it at the end of last season. After the ride that day I searched the web high and low for a fix and all I could find were etec boat issues and other random etec ski doo electrical issues that seemed to be a one person problem.

I ended up replacing the knock sensor (the dealer wanted me to bring it back to them but I did not want them to have it over the holiday weekend). After replacing the sensor, I drove alone 30 minutes away to test it and sure enough it was not the fix. The knock sensor went off followed by the rev limiter about 2 minutes into the quick ride.

I called a buddy who suggested we replace the plugs as a last ditch effort before we gave it back to the dealer to keep for who knows how long. We did that at my home yesterday and BAM, PROBLEM SOLVED!

The only reason I am posting this is to save you the time and hassle if this is happening to you. I figure that since I am one of the first owners of the etec (I realize there were a few out in late 2010) that others may begin to run into this same issue. Change the plugs and you should be good to go. I hope this helps somebody!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Update: I did not have the time to run back up to the mountains on Christmas eve so I tested the plug "fix" by raising the track off of the ground with a sturdy latter and ran the machine through warm up and then high RPM's and it had no issues. Then I took the sled out yesterday for a late afternoon Christmas ride, about two miles in, it started again with the KNOCK KNOCK jokes. It is now at the dealer. Will update when this gets resolved. Sounds like I may be one of the lucky guys with a one person problem but just incase, I will keep you all updated with the findings.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thank you for the input. I relayed that info to the dealer and while they agree that would cause the issue they assured me that has not happened. Apparently they did this recall on 35 other etecs this past year and my sled seems to be the only one with this issue. The service manager wanted to rule out my aftermarket can (J&T) being the issue by replacing it with the stock exhaust & testing before they really dig in. I told them that I ride with two other etecs that use J&T with no issues and they still insisted it be tested. They couldn't test it until Monday so I picked it up last night after work (dealer is 30 minutes away) and then drove up to the mountains to verify what I was already 99% sure was not the fix. I will be dropping it back to them this morning when they open. The stock exhaust test did not keep it from knocking (again about 2 miles into the ride). At this point I am PAST frustration!!! Especially when my boys will be out riding today and I have no machine. To add insult to injury I am now off work for the next five days. I took it to the dealer at the end of last season to avoid down time this season. I hope they can resolve this ASAP now that we all know it's not a simple fix. Would it be unreasonable for me to ask for a loaner sled while I wait?? I'm 2 day rides and 4 test runs into this with zero resolution from an issue the dealer has clearly caused. What would you do? I left it in the bed of my truck out on the street last night in hopes that someone would steal it. No luck.

·
Registered
628 Posts
What are the "lemon" laws where you are?
Keep written log of dates and fixes

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I remember right the 11e-tec in the summit has a .3 mm tighter head and need to have a .3 mm thicker base gasket to compensate. And it's only on the 11 e-tec summit in North America! I hope this might help out and it turns out to be something simple. And thanks for keeping us posted on how it's going good luck!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great news to report. Dealer got on my machine first thing Monday and put a thicker base gasket in her. I picked it up last night, went out today and had a smile on my face the entire ride. I put my aftermarket can back on before testing and the machine works perfect again. Thanks for the advise! You were spot on :rockindude:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I've had the same problem with my '11 etec since the recall. It was knocking at Togwotee last week riding from the lodge at I believe 8600' to about 10,000 on their 91 octane. I had a buddy along with a '12 etec who had no problems, and I never had problems before the update even running lower octane once in a pinch at sea level. Its a good thing we had 110 race gas along for the turbo sleds in our group so it didn't ruin the trip. I had to use more than I anticipated to keep it from knocking though. I ended up putting about two gallons to a tank to completely eliminate the problem. My sled is currently at the dealer that did the update rebuild, and I am waiting to hear from them. Now I have a good starting point to address this issue thanks to this thread. Or just keep the higher compression and run race gas...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear this thread is helping you out and glad to hear that the 110 race fuel saved your trip. The 110 race fuel did not work for me, even with the roughly 2 gallons I put in.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Glad to hear this thread is helping you out and glad to hear that the 110 race fuel saved your trip. The 110 race fuel did not work for me, even with the roughly 2 gallons I put in.
Rooster, you and I bought the same sleds and cans at the same time. I had the piston update done last year at the beginning of the season. This year at the start I measured the crank runout and found .008 in the case, .012 out of the case. Also, one piston had worn through the nik wearing on the aluminum. 2000 miles.

You said that you'd never had any trouble with e10.
If that's all you can buy, so be it. If you can find it, I recommend e0. And never store your sled with e10 in it. The e will separate over the summer leaving you with sub octane gas to start the season. I'd store it empty Rather than have e10 in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1,421 Posts
Hi guys.......I'm experiencing the same problem (since last year when the dealer updated my software) on the juice with both C-14 and C-16. I run a 60 shot, now that said it was fine (and a rocket) at this power level in 2012 when I built it new......I can only assume that the newest software from BRP has increased the sensitivity of the ECU and is shutting down my motor and showing "knock sensor/rev limit". Not sure there is actually any detonation happening at all (in fact there wasn't, after pulling the head and inspecting it she was fine) and I certainly didn't hit the rev limit of 8400rpm with the purposely heavy (27gm) clutch weighting we used for the test. Personally, I think the new software I received has actually made the ECU 'knock sensor' too sensitive (you shouldn't have to lower your compression with a thicker head gasket - that reduces power) I also think the software has overly sensitized the EGT probe to heat in some aftermarket cans - puts you in limp mode of about 4500rpm, requires you to shut the engine off and re-start..........Solution - BRP needs to revisit these software upgrades and give dealers the ability to add and subtract software versions. Furthermore, do like Cat does, open up the box to mods........In the meantime, I'm modifying my EGT probe location on my aftermarket pipe to get it out of the exhaust blast. I'll report back on my findings.

Sleepless in Toronto,

Cliff

1,421 Posts
Interesting.......Spoke with the Tech Dept at BRP Racing in Quebec today, they have agreed to remove software flash(s) from my 800 ECU (we think the last one is causing problems with my n2o) and they have also agreed to let me know what each of the (3) flashes did (to the timing, knock sensor sensitivity etc.) I've received since 2012. Apparently if the dealer has the 'right' BUDS software package (S19 file) they can do the correction with the ECU in the sled, if not I have to remove it and send the ECU to my contact at BRP racing........I'll report back with the info when I get it.

Cliff

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine just started doing the same thing this weekend. I rode about 40 miles and then the knock sensor/rev limit warning put my sled in limp mode. I haven't had the piston recall done or the computer reflashed since last year. I rode a hundred miles or so last weekend and didn't have any problems other than my mechanic leaving one of the RAVE bolts only hand tight causing it to leak oil all over the PTO side of my engine compartment. Clutch seemed a bit funny, almost like it has a broken spring, but I've never really looked at it before.

Unfortunately, I was able to keep resetting the computer for about 10 miles back before there seemed to be a really bad vibration at low RPM. It was fine at idle. My mechanic changed the spark plugs at part of the preseason maintenance. He even mentioned that you aren't really suppose to on the etecs but they looked a little dark and changed them out anyways.

Would a broken clutch spring cause enough vibration/resonance to set off the knock sensor? What would cause the vibration to gradually get worse the more I "reset" the computer and continued to ride? I don't have the money right now to give to the dealer, or my mechanic, for them to go on a wild goose chase. I'll change out the plugs and see if that helps, Is there anything else I can check myself, short of checking crank runout, pulling the head, disassembling the clutch, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got back from the mountains and had the same experience as the original poster on my '11 800 etec. Is BRP recognizing this problem now (ie,, recall)? The dealership I went to told me to check gas but I ruled that out and ended up just having to keep RPM's below ~6500 to keep it from beeping and going into the 5500RPM rev limit. Pretty frustrating when you drive 11hrs for a sled trip!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine has done the knock message since day one and taken to dealer just to be told it is an aftermarket exhaust that lots of other sleds have on with no issues?? Going to try av gas if that doesn't fix it then it has to be a faulty sensor on the head? Right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts