Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a clean MXZ X 800R PTEK and most of the time the electric start works just fine then all I get is a single click at the solenoid / battery area. Pull start works to start it. RER works ruling out the switch. Can a solenoid work sometimes and not work other or is it all or nothing?

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
The 2013 Shop Manual has good troubleshooting tips on the subject. To answer your question, yes the solenoid can develop problems over time if the current is problematic. By the way I would not rule out the RER switch simply because the RER works.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6k miles and a clean sled got a nice deal on her absolute blast to ride.

Update after a ride today. Now im sure its a starter issue. Sometimes when I go to start it the starter just spins and does not kick over to engage the flywheel like it should so new starter needed?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Before you spend a wad on new starter, make sure:

All connections are good, including grounds. Take each one apart and clean, buff, or sand to make ideal metal-metal contact.
You have a healthy battery(try a new one if you can) It takes a good jolt to fire out the bendix.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Check the ground from solenoid battery at under tray to chassis, and ground from battery to chassis for clean tight connections.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i had this happen to my 2013 with 600 miles on it , pretty well drove me foolish cleaned all the grounds , battery was good , relay would work every time when crossed, starter was good ( only 600 miles) RER worked once running . When I finally got to the bottom of it , I took the 4 screws out of the multi function switch ( looked like new) and it should. proceeded to spray it out with electrical contact cleaner and blow it out with air. E start has worked great every time since. during my trouble I found out from my dealer that BRP was replacing the switch (13 and older style switch) on sleds with issues under warranty due to moisture in the start button. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've seen this happen on at least 4 sleds I've been riding with in the past year including myself 2 weeks ago. It seems the Bendix gets "sticky". Can usually get it to kick out while on the trail by prying the Bendix out manually with a screwdriver or something similar. After doing that, hit the starter and it works. In a couple of cases we gave a shot a WD-40 with the Bendix pried out because that was all that was available on the trail. I took a chance on my own and didn't have it happen the rest of the day so when I got back to the garage gave it a couple shots of silicon lubricant. I can't say whether such lubrication is recommended or not (maybe a SD tech can chime in) but in all cases we've not seen a re-occurrence after a quick shot of lube. Given my exposure to this condition in the past year I'm surprise not more people have commented on this (what I'd call a) "class" problem. Maybe starter/Bendix maintenance is part of a checklist that I failed to see....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i had this happen to my 2013 with 600 miles on it , pretty well drove me foolish cleaned all the grounds , battery was good , relay would work every time when crossed, starter was good ( only 600 miles) RER worked once running . When I finally got to the bottom of it , I took the 4 screws out of the multi function switch ( looked like new) and it should. proceeded to spray it out with electrical contact cleaner and blow it out with air. E start has worked great every time since. during my trouble I found out from my dealer that BRP was replacing the switch (13 and older style switch) on sleds with issues under warranty due to moisture in the start button. Hope this helps.
Based on OP's second post, this is NOT his issue. His Bendix is failing to engage the starter to the flywheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts