Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2010 Expedition SE, 4 stroke 1200. Approx. 12,000 kms. On my last ride it started to sputter and backfire at rpms under 2,000. As soon as I come to a stop and let the engine go to idle then It won't rev back up. When I press the throttle it just sputters and backfires. If I stop the engine for 5 minutes then it runs good again. I was able to get back home by doing this 6 times. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Any check engine lights or beeps? Idle Air Control Valve could cause this, or a coil going out. Possibly fuel related with a fuel filter or failing pump.

Reactions: Snow Terror

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No lights coming on and I get the regular 2 beeps when it does the key check. Would a bad fuel filter or failing pump be bad at any rpm? If I get past 2,00 rpm it runs good.

I added gasline antifreeze today and went back for a ride. Now it cuts-off completely (engine dead) when I maintain moderate speed (70 - 80 km/h) for 10 seconds or more. The middle screen goes blank and the both gauges freeze at whatever rpm and speed it was when it died. The battery wes pretty low, recharging it now, wonder if that was enough to cause this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2010 Expedition SE, 4 stroke 1200. Approx. 12,000 kms. On my last ride it started to sputter and backfire at rpms under 2,000. As soon as I come to a stop and let the engine go to idle then It won't rev back up. When I press the throttle it just sputters and backfires. If I stop the engine for 5 minutes then it runs good again. I was able to get back home by doing this 6 times. Any help would be appreciated.
I believe that the reason may be in the factory fuel filter. We threw it away long ago and began to put external. And in the filter housing of the fuel pump made a lot of big holes hot needle. As practice has shown, this does not affect the operation of the pump. but now you can quickly replace the external fuel filter in the cold in the tundra. Also in Russia there is an opinion that on the Assembly line of BRP in the production of tanks using some substance that even in the new snowmobiles gets into the filters. Therefore, periodically remove the tank and wash it with detergent for dishes. Degreasing so to speak. Maybe you'll find it funny. But after these procedures, drove about 10000 km and do not experience problems with the fuel system. We also replace the candles each season regardless of mileage. I have not once changed the plugs two of the season is about 5000-6000 km and the snowmobile was difficult to start, engine sound at cold start was terrible. He was shaking. And the candles were in a terrible state. The photo shows the difference between a new candle and an old one. Although we may have worse fuel than yours and it is strongly affected. All of the above, of course, my subjective opinion. )))

Yuri.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Check fuel filters , one at the outlet of the tank where the fuel line clips on and maybe the one in the tank .

Been there with that problem

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
One easy check that might cause the sputter, crack the fuel cap a bit when it starts to sputter. You may have a partially blocked vent line.

If no change, then check the filters like has been suggested. If they haven't been done in 12000kms, then it's probably time they were done anyway.

I like to start with the easiest troubleshooting/fixes first then proceed to the harder, more costly ones later.

Report back with your findings when you get it straightened out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So, as per my last post I tried to recharge the battery but it would only charge to 60%. It's a 2009 so it must be the original.

I replaced it with heavy duty AGM. I went for a quick test ride, no sputtering at idle, no engine cut-off at 60, 80, 100 or 130 km/h.

Too cold now to try it again and forecasting -40C this weekend. Will try it again next week.

Next will be the filters if necessary. I hear the one in the tank is fun to get to.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
These machines are picky with their batteries, sounds like you have found the problem. I've replaced enough batteries on them over the years that I've seen them do all sorts of interesting things on a bad battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your machine likely has an external secondary filter a few inches away from the gas tank. I ordered a WIX 33095 off Amazon to replace mine but haven't installed it yet. Will have to replace the crimp style fittings as well. Maybe someone has had success re-using them?

thumbnail.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So...update....I replaced the battery went for a ride. All was good but after approx. 20 minutes my red battery light came on. Five minutes later all lights came on, dials were going nuts, enigne stopped, sled dead. My buddy towed me back home, started running tests on the charging system, no charging. Supposed to get 25 Vac coming out of the stator yellow wire at idle, getting 1 to 2 Vac. Argh... Starting to pull the engine out this morning, should be a fun 4 hours. Anyone know good after market stator suppliers? The one from ski-doo is $590 CAD.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just ordered a stator for my 09 1200, was listed at that price online, but dealer superseded the part number and it was $430 something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just called our local dealer. He told me the same thing, BRP replacement is $430. Kimpex and RMStator both have one at $290 but both are no stock so I ordered one from BRP. Time for engine and frame cleaning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, to wrap it up. I put 600 kms on the sled since I installed the new stator, no problems, runs great. I even put the old battery back in.

Since I had the engine out (yes...you have to gut the whole sled to get to the stator, only thing left was the track):

replaced the plugs

changed the engine oil and filter

changed the in gas tank strainer

changed the inline gas filter

changed the anti-freeze

changed the brake fluid

overhauled the driven pulley. Two of the rollers were broken, weird. This might explain the burnt drive belt smell I often had.

replaced the driven pulley countershaft large bearing. It was shot. That eliminated the annoying high pitch hissing noise when riding. Good thing, I thought it was a bad bearing in the gearcase.

Also replaced those silly pop rivets they have all over with bolts and lock nuts.

Total: $840 CAD in parts and $200 CAD in labour (had the shop overhaul the driven pulley, didn't have the tools).

12,400 kms.

This is funny:

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 1200 with 4000kms on it. I’ll be changing the stator as preventative maintenance this summer. It’s common and bound to give me trouble next season. I do about 5k kms a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts