Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sled still starts and runs, but the gauge cluster shows no life and the head lights are not turning on.

Owner did a few things at the same time before this happened. The ECM was unplugged to get the part# then replugged, the relay pigtail was moved so it would no longer rub on the tps wires, and the premium gauge cluster was swapped with one from a 2008 MXZ 800R that looked identical and was working perfectly in the 800R. The sled started but no gauge cluster and no lights. The gauge cluster was swapped back and still no gauge or lights.

Is there some sort of programming between the gauge cluster and ECM ?

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Forgot to mention the hotstart was reconnected at the same time as the other changes, but it won't stay connected.

Sled is stock single-pipe and muffler. All original parts from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed.

·
Registered
774 Posts
ohm test the stator , and voltage regulator . Maybe possible bad lightning coil on the stator.
That's exactly how my stator went out, first I lost the gauges under 3k rpm, then 5k rpm or under all the while headlamp got more dim. Finally by the end of the day it lost spark and wouldn't fire.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
It was a wrong electrical connection. You may remember I mentioned the hotstart was replugged, well that wasn't it since it was already plugged in lol An electrical loop into a gauge connection was accidentally created so I was a little embarrassed to post lol

We also had an rpm issue like #1 Poster (click here). Fully stock production sled with clean carbs, so it was an easy fix by replacing primary and secondary springs, and primary rollers. Still wouldn't pull 100% until we found/replaced a faulty hotstart button throwing all kinds of resistance values and corrected corroded connections in one of the plugs.

Finally got the idle raised to 2000 rpm. What a pain that was. It kept jumping from 1500 to 3200 with no in between!!! Spent hours and too much time with garage door opened to -20C (-4F) lol

Now to check plugs once or twice while trail riding. It needs to work with 91 pump gas.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The RS worked like Swiss watch on trail this past week. Only 91 octane. It even kept the tuned pipe temps below 1000F. Hotstart worked great too. Doesn't take long for the tuned-pipe to heat.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the beginning of the day I was able to outrun it, but was happy for the slower ride. This only last an hour and then the sled lost brakes near our next stop. After swapping the master cylinder at the gas station the next ride got quickly faster and the didn't stop getting more aggressive until the day was over. After a total of 100km I could no longer keep up to the 600RS with the 600SDI. After another 50km I was exhausted from overworking the sled. If these sleds are not trail ride able in race form I didn't see it. After the last 100km to get to the chalet I was wiped, but so was the RS owner lol That sled is a bomb!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts