Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys looking for help on my 2009 Renagade 600 etec, little background story I picked up two of these identical sleds fixed one and now onto this one but can’t seem to figure it out.
I just did a top end rebuild and can’t get it to start, I installed new cylinders pistons and rings and both sides have 121psi.
I have spark and fuel but still no start.
Had the computer re programmed at the dealer and got a new stator for it.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 RenegadeX
22,129 Posts
Just for laughs, have you tried putting some fuel directly in the cylinder?

Reactions: Daag44

·
Registered
767 Posts
Have someone spray starting fuel/gas through the intake/throttle bodies when you are trying to start it. If it will not fire even a little, you have a spark problem. Compare the spark between each sled that you fixed. That should be a give away on if you have quality spark. I’ve seen micro size spark and knew that wasn’t what I was looking for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked at my spark and it’s a strong spark that the sled is giving out witch is why I can’t figure out what exactly my issue is?
Now I did the rebuild on this top end while the motor was still in the sled. Could it be that the guy I got it off of dint tell me about a crack or something in the buttom end? Would that couse this issue ?

Thanks again for the help

Very
Have someone spray starting fuel/gas through the intake/throttle bodies when you are trying to start it. If it will not fire even a little, you have a spark problem. Compare the spark between each sled that you fixed. That should be a give away on if you have quality spark. I’ve seen micro size spark and knew that wasn’t what I was looking for.

·
SnomoSnob
2,684 Posts
So... I think when we had an ETEC, we extended the throttle cable and it got pulled too tight and opened the TPS slightly it would not start.
Items to check.
-Pull Muffler, hit the starter, does it pop or spew goo ( oil and water (Coolant) mix )
-Make sure cable is loose enough and TB on idle stops.
-Spray starter fluid in to open TB, hit starter, it should pop.
-Maybe pull off pull start and pull flywheel. It should have magnets I believe on it, see if you have missing ones.
-We have cooked a whole cylinder and it would start and run 50 miles back to Hotel from Mt Valin at 35 MPH.
* so a bad lower end will cause a problem... but it should pop and try to run.
Just a few quick thoughts.
Later
GutZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So... I think when we had an ETEC, we extended the throttle cable and it got pulled too tight and opened the TPS slightly it would not start.
Items to check.
-Pull Muffler, hit the starter, does it pop or spew goo ( oil and water (Coolant) mix )
-Make sure cable is loose enough and TB on idle stops.
-Spray starter fluid in to open TB, hit starter, it should pop.
-Maybe pull off pull start and pull flywheel. It should have magnets I believe on it, see if you have missing ones.
-We have cooked a whole cylinder and it would start and run 50 miles back to Hotel from Mt Valin at 35 MPH.
* so a bad lower end will cause a problem... but it should pop and try to run.
Just a few quick thoughts.
Later
GutZ

Awesome thank you for the info ! I will take a look later and see if anything you listed is my issue!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would imagine it would be leaking coolant from the case if cracked….maybe. You would also see specs of antifreeze on the spark plugs if the case filled up. That would be easy to see.
That would also be evident if you took the plugs out and antifreeze would

What is not easy to see if indeed the piston broke and jammed it into the lower case leaving a hole. I missed that trick when I bought a sled “cheap”. Had about a golf ball size hole in the bottom of the case.

I personally would start with the basic components…what broke. Although it’s a possibility, all the electronics and sensors, etc would not be damaged and quit working if it broke a piston. Possible? Yes. Likely, no.
Bear with me here: did you possibly put the pistons in backwards? Should be an arrow or marking pointing to maybe the exhaust side, PTO side, etc. Sorry, I can’t remember what method they use on your sled. You could just take off the head to check it. Drain the coolant from a lower hose otherwise you will get coolant in the cylinders.
You have touched basically 3 components. Pistons, cylinders, and /crank/ case. I would venture a bet it is one of those items.
Just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
28,769 Posts
Compression, fresh gas, strong spark, and timed spark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts