Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but couldn't seem to find an answer. Are the newer 500 motors as reliable as the earlier ones(which use to be called the 600). I thought I read somewhere on here that there were issues. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this motor. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I did a search but couldn't seem to find an answer. Are the newer 500 motors as reliable as the earlier ones(which use to be called the 600). I thought I read somewhere on here that there were issues. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this motor. Thanks for any info
Well, we're running one in an '09 TNT and had some lean issues when we got it brand new. Siezed a couple of times and had jugs, pistons, rings replaced under warranty. New needles for the carbs to richen it up during the rebuild and she's run quite well ever since.... 2,800 miles in two winters.

It's fun sled and solid motor that's got some bite to it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I had an 08, had the lean issue, when it melted down we changed the needle,(under warrenty), Ran great for 4K miles after that.

Loved the sled so much that I bought a 2010 holdover last year. No issues, but only got to ride around 1400 miles last year.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Same reliable mechanicals.... just a different spark curve and carburetion... doo did have an issue as I recall on 08 500ss with a tight piston to wall clearance on some of these engines, but that was a short/small sample thing.

·
E-Tec Rules
33,777 Posts
got the same motor in the 05 and its been great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wife has 09 son has 2010. No issues other than sh** clamps on the 09. Got the call the other day my XRS is in! Let it snow!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we're running one in an '09 TNT and had some lean issues when we got it brand new. Siezed a couple of times and had jugs, pistons, rings replaced under warranty. New needles for the carbs to richen it up during the rebuild and she's run quite well ever since.... 2,800 miles in two winters.

It's fun sled and solid motor that's got some bite to it.
Yea it was the lean condition around 6000 - 6500 RPM I read about. Do you know which needle you used? I just bought a 2009 with the 500ss motor and thought I would never have to be concerned about reliability, but after reading about the lean burn downs now I'm not sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same reliable mechanicals.... just a different spark curve and carburetion... doo did have an issue as I recall on 08 500ss with a tight piston to wall clearance on some of these engines, but that was a short/small sample thing.
I read about having the ECM remapped to change the spark curve and rejetting the carb. I just wonder how many people had trouble with their 09 & 08 models. You usually read about it on here when someone has problems so you never know if it's blown out of proportion. I have first hand knowledge of a few friends with 800's who had melt downs so I wanted to stay clear of that motor...my reasoning for buying the 500ss... I thought it was bulletproof.

·
Registered
77 Posts
what about the 2011 600 tnt. just bought one new and am going to put 20 pilots in it but also was thinkin about one size up on main and a .20 shim under the needle as long as it dont cause any hesitations. looking for long term reliability

·
Registered
781 Posts
very fun motor. I had problems right away with mine (twice under 100 miles, bad Cyl. specs) After that it has been flawless.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 2011 and i wouldn't mess with jetting at all, factory settings are richer than 08 and 09. They update the needle. but for 09 i would put in 20 pilots or do the needle upgrade.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an 04 500SS and an 09 600 TNT. The sled in the picture below. Built the entire sled around the bullet proof factory motor set up from doo.
nice looking sled....have you had any issues with the motor running too lean

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2011 and i wouldn't mess with jetting at all, factory settings are richer than 08 and 09. They update the needle. but for 09 i would put in 20 pilots or do the needle upgrade.
Do you know what the needle upgrade is? Are the 2011 needles the ones to use? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
934 Posts
what about the 2011 600 tnt. just bought one new and am going to put 20 pilots in it but also was thinkin about one size up on main and a .20 shim under the needle as long as it dont cause any hesitations. looking for long term reliability
I wouldn't think on the 2011 you would need to do any of that. I have not read of any lean or mid-range hot spot issues with any of the later 500ss/600 motors. Use good gas and keep your carbs clean and I think you will be alright. Changing your pilots and shimming the needles will only get you one thing IMO, the gas mileage of a Polaris or Arctic Cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts