Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Need help with carb boots from carb to airbox for 2008 Tundra LT 550f RF chassis... the boots are all cracked and I wanted to change them, called everywhere and apparently they're impossible to get since the airbox was discontinued. Does anyone know where I can find replacements or ideas on what other options I have; maybe even installing a complete new airbox that would be compatible for the RF chassis???
I love my sled and I wanna get riding asap!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
965 Posts
The critical ones are between the carb and the cylinder. If one goes bad, it will fry/seize that cylinder.

For the ones you are reporting on ... if you can't find the part, just use 100 Mile an Hour Tape (the

cheechakoes in the lower 48 call it Duct Tape).

One evil night behind Cape Nome, my single cylinder 300 died. The boot was cracked, and you could

stick a finger thru it. Believe it or not, my riding buddy Kenny had a wad of 100 mph tape, that he

had cut to about 3/4 inch wide. (That's 20mm for those of the French persuasion). A few wraps,

and, et voila!d Started and made it home another 20 miles.

100mph is the ultimate fixall. You can tape carb boots, patch rubber boats, tape your wife's mouth, bind

criminals, wrap Christmas Presents. Yes, I even saw not only colored tape, but one that had

Christmassy color schemes on it. Not all tapes are created equal. Some of the asian ones lose their

stickitiviness in cold weather. Get the good stuff. Cut a 3/4 inch strip and wind 4 feet or so around a

thimble or a stick, and put it in your tool box. Like Kenny did.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
That is a sad deal if BRP does not still carry a critical part like that! I guess the expected life of a ski-doo for a those who can afford a new doo at $10,000+ is 2 years. Hopefully they will rectify the situation and support those who keep their machines a long time.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
check with sites like http://www.alssnowmobile.com/%C2

If they don't list it, call or email them and ask them if they have it. Not everything is listed on the site.

I've had success on an older tundra just using the flex-seal type spray to coat the outside of the boots.

To be clear. The boots between the airbox and the carbs are no critical and mostly just keep out snow. And since fuel rarely touches them, silicone based products can hold up really well.

And no, 100 MPH tape is not the same as your run-of-the-mill duct tape. 100MPH tape is usually 10x more expensive and will stick to a wet surface. I've used it to get an airplane back to air-worthiness after a crash. Normal duct tape would have never held up. (it didn't as we had to use some and it fell off in flight).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies and comic relief!..... lol
Ended up using some loctite rubber repair stuff the mechanics at work use for conveyor belt repairs and other applications.
The stuff is badass..... but wayyyyyyyy too expensive if ya can't find some lying around the shop.
Otherwise I'd probably settle for some 100 mile an hour tape, or duct tape... lol
It Is sad though that it's becoming harder and harder to maintain and keep machines running for many years!!!!

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Juuuust a bit off topic, but speaking of 100 MPH tape, have any of you guys tried Gorilla tape? There's a new sheriff in town! lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm surprised your local skidoo dealer couldn't order them for you. That's what I did when I replaced both the carb boots on my 2006 SWT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts