Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a trail converted skidoo rs 2008. Seemed to run fine when I got it now it seems like it has a huge "confusion" in the throttle when you get in I hard. Putting and Idling it's fine...290 mains. Clip in position 2.hot start disconnected. J star can..had carbs off a few times everything seems good and clean power jets seem to be in working order and clean. I'm very confused and frustrated. Any help is thanked in advance. 32:1 mix rate

·
Registered
15 Posts
what are your ramps set on in your clutch? and where are your power valves set. I used to not be able to open up soecially when it was a little warmer out. Turned out my ramps were set on 3 and i was only able to rev up to about 7800 rpms. these sleds pull there power over 8000. Mine are on setting 5 and i loosened up my pvalve springs and it seems to rip just fine now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not 100 percent sure as it is very new to me. I will look into p valves. Sometimes it revs out great and hangs skis nicely. But most of the time recently it carries on like it's hitting a rev limiter around 6k rpms

·
Registered
49 Posts
Find out what what ramps u have. If I only rev to 8100 mine bogs too interimtly. But if I get to 8250 to 8300 I don't. I run 413 with the clicker at 5 on the prima

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also want to add that it won't completely bog down either. It will just hold the bog until you let off the throttle

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
08's bad these bogging issues. We never sorted it out. I have always recomended stayingnaway from 08's.

Reactions: MachDream

·
Cadillac mountain Enduro
3,558 Posts
first off let me say that with out a plug read and looking at piston wash all is a SWAG sophisticated wild azz guess. clean power valves are all ways good start there, fresh plugs I would assume have ben done all rediy right if she runs good under 1/3 throttle then falls fat (rich)I would say you should hard jet it and 86 the power jet . I had the same thing with my 08 and I hard jeted it runs much better now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
People are thinking it's my power valves? Make sense?
I just bought an 08 600rs with 220 miles on it
my son burned it down while holding it wide open across a lake.
cost me a jug and piston
so I jetted up to 360 mains and the bog you talked about showed up, re jetted down to 300 mains, sled runs fine.
after consulting with a skidoo mechanic - the power vales have been a problem.
I will be blocking them off and running 360 main jets.

Hope this helps
Bryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been in and out of the shop since this thread with the same problem. Everythins seems to lean towards the j star can. Putting factory can on tomorrow and seeing what that does

·
Registered
251 Posts
Been in and out of the shop since this thread with the same problem. Everythins seems to lean towards the j star can. Putting factory can on tomorrow and seeing what that does
Not saying that it's jetting/ plug related for sure, or J* can but a little experience to share about both. First off I put the J* on my 13 and it ran fine without touching the jetting, I did jet up from 290 to a 310, do not care about milage, would rather see engine get to much fuel than to little.Anyhow with the 310's in it, it would fall flat on its face at WOT. Now I tried new plugs that are the BR9EYA, same 310 jets and the sled runs flawless. I fig I'd have to jet down, won't now with this plug. When it had a bog issue I knew it was the bigger jets bcuz It went from it running good to terrible bog, it would run up to full throttle fine n then just like it was on a rev limiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Yapatap

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not saying that it's jetting/ plug related for sure, or J* can but a little experience to share about both. First off I put the J* on my 13 and it ran fine without touching the jetting, I did jet up from 290 to a 310, do not care about milage, would rather see engine get to much fuel than to little.Anyhow with the 310's in it, it would fall flat on its face at WOT. Now I tried new plugs that are the BR9EYA, same 310 jets and the sled runs flawless. I fig I'd have to jet down, won't now with this plug. When it had a bog issue I knew it was the bigger jets bcuz It went from it running good to terrible bog, it would run up to full throttle fine n then just like it was on a rev limiter.Sent from my iPhone using Yapatap
Thanks I appreciate the info. I think I'm running bry9cs plugs. I'd have to check to be sure. Ive had 280 290 and now 310 mains with no real change in the wait it runs. It'll run like a bat out of hell down the field then on the way back you can't hold it to the bars or it won't go anywhere.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had an '08 that would scream on hard pack an light snow but get into deep snow and would fall right on its face 8/10 times. Hard to fix an intermittent problem. I tried jetting, changed carb needle to one with a different fuel profile, plugs, cleaned raves, fuel filter, checked reeds and searched for air leaks. Only thing I noticed was that my raves were almost always oily. I changed oils and leaned the ratio some but still the same. One thought was that the gas an oil weren't mixing right and I was sucking too heavy of an oil mixture into the carbs. But after 8-10 tanks of gas I ruled that out. Compression was good. I tore apart my wiring connectors searching for water. What a headache. I finally sold it and bought a '13. I know this doesn't help you much but just know you aren't alone. I never figured out my problem but hopefully you do. One thing to try (which I didn't) is contact Joe at IBackshift and pull his brain into the mix. If it is a clutching issue he should be able to help you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have -08 RS. It had same problems earlier. It couldn´t stay at WOT for a long time; went to limb mode. Maybe engine got too hot. I lost some pistons and cylinders, too. Four corner seizures. tried everything; diff. jet sizes, hard jetting, bigger fuel pump, choking hose from the engine cooling outlet, thinner needles, diff. clutch sets...hot start button disconnected of course. Until I cut the stinger out from the pipe. NO problems after that. Over 6000 trouble free kms. Worth trying...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts