Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids and I just rebuilt the motor bottom up, new pistons and rings, etc... Tried to start it up and it just backfires.

MCB pistons/rings.

All new gasket set.

New crank seals and grease.

Y-pipe has no cracks.

BR8ECS plugs - both are sparking.

New Battery.

Reeds are new Boyesen.

Raves were functioning smooth when we put them back together.

New to me muffler - old one is junk.

We did a bunch of pulling on cord before realizing it was not sparking. E-Start was not working. Pulled the 30 amp fuse and screen worked when I put it back in as did e-start. I will replace it once I find where I put them in my basement. Any chance I just flooded it and need to let it sit overnight?

I read in another thread I should check the crankcase position sensor wiring. Will check that tomorrow.

I can take the injectors out and check them again. I can check the fuel filter again.

What else should I check?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never even thought of the spark plug wires. They do seem to reach either plug. I will test again tomorrow as it is bed time for me. Hoping to wake up to a lot of white stuff in Maine tomorrow. A few inches so far.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Spark plug wires is the exact mistake we made. Simple mistake, but fatal.

Now I had no electrical, pulled 30 amp fuse, put back in, it worked, ran it a few hundred yards and electrical shutdown. Trying to figure that out.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It will hold pressure for a month at least. Refil to line when cold. After you run it, it will likely drop 2". If you remove the cap again while slowly letting the air out, it will rise back to the line.
Inspect the Ground wire to at bottom of battery tray, make sure the solenoid 12v small wires are secured on the solenoid, make sure ground cable is tight behind muffler at the front right engine mount. Make sure ground wire at the steering column post is tight?
Install a new 5amp fuse, don't trust them that they look good, and test good. What happens they split along the element working, then not working...while driving one to madness!
Sounds like ya almost got her figured out!
Good luck

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
I would start by replacing the 30A fuse and inspect the terminals in the socket carefully. The terminals are of the highest quality female spade connectors, but if there is corrosion they will be jumpy....... You can remove them from the socket quite easily by depressing the locking tab on the terminal with a small blade screwdriver from the back of the socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts