Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2006 Tundra is a great machine, but it could be even better. Here is what I would like to see in the 2007 Tundra:

1. Keep the single cyl. motor -- however a true 300 cc would be nice if they could retain the smoothness -- but the existing motor is great if not. Keep that front end light -- no twin and no more front end weight. Keep the great gas milage, simplicity and reliability.

2. I'm guessing the current clutch is a 3:1. Improve that to a 3.5:1 or 4:1 in order to resolve the turning the track when fully buried from a dead start problem. It needs the ability to easily turn a longer track from dead start in the deep and soft. Also offer the 47 tooth bottom sprocket as a listed option. I have one for mine and it makes a significant difference at high altitudes. Once moving it will turn the track better than the 94 (same motor but better clutching), but the 94 turns the track much easier when buried from a dead stop -- you know when you are standing in the powder up to your waist, reaching to the throttle and giving it a little push to go that last 10 feet -- it is amazing how well he Tundra will propel itself to "get over the hump". It should be noted my 94 is geared lower than what I can do with the 2006. The 94 has two less teeth than stock on the top sprocket and 2 more on the bottom sprocket.

3. Replace the 136x15" track with a 144x15" track. Not 16", keep it 15" and keep the narrow (somewhat) ski stance as it is for side-hilling and getting around through the trees. We stepped backwards a bit going from the 139.5" to the 136" and you can tell the difference when riding the 94 Tundra -- it floats better on the rear end -- the 2006 may float better on the front due to the wider skis. So, we essentially lost 60 sq" of surface area on the snow. Going to a 144 would put us ahead of the 94 gaining 60 sq" or a total of 120 sq" when compared to the 2006.

4. Widen the skis a little more to balance out the flotation gain with the longer track.

5. Same total weight -- make weight reductions in other places to balance out the added weight of the longer track. Not any heavier please as that is one of the unique things about the Tundra (light weight)

Everything else seems pretty well perfect. A bit difficult to get to some thing such as the carburator but not intolerable. I'm not complaining as the 2006 Tundra is close to perfect for my needs -- a lot of fun, easy to get unstuck by myself, nimble and light.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What about a little bore and stroke on our 06's. Just a little port and polish slight overbore,maybe a little plane of the head???

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
halfast said:
What about a little bore and stroke on our 06's. Just a little port and polish slight overbore,maybe a little plane of the head???
[snapback]717279[/snapback]​
Yes -- that is what I was suggesting -- they call it a 300 but it is only a 268. Why not get it close to a true 300cc? On the compression I don't know because the current 11.2 to 1 seems fairly high. However, it is important that it remain a smooth and reliable engine with torgue at the lower RPMS. It is amazing the difference in some of SkiDoos old single cylindar engines. I have tried all of the following motors in an Elan as they bolt right in.

Old 250 single (Elan) -- fairly smooth
Old 335 single with HR Tilliston Carb -- reasonably smooth like the 250
Old 340 single with HD Tilliston Carb -- rougher than an out of balance washing machine

The 268 motor mounted in the 2006 Tundra chasis is much smoother than all of the above singles -- pretty darn pleasant to ride although still a little loud without the stocking cap and helmet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
TundraManDan said:
halfast said:
[snapback]717279[/snapback]​
Yes -- that is what I was suggesting -- they call it a 300 but it is only a 268. Why not get it close to a true 300cc? On the compression I don't know because the current 11.2 to 1 seems fairly high. However, it is important that it remain a smooth and reliable engine with torgue at the lower RPMS. It is amazing the difference in some of SkiDoos old single cylindar engines. I have tried all of the following motors in an Elan as they bolt right in.

Old 250 single (Elan) -- fairly smooth
Old 335 single with HR Tilliston Carb -- reasonably smooth like the 250
Old 340 single with HD Tilliston Carb -- rougher than an out of balance washing machine

The 268 motor mounted in the 2006 Tundra chasis is much smoother than all of the above singles -- pretty darn pleasant to ride although still a little loud without the stocking cap and helmet.

[snapback]718889[/snapback]​
From your lips to Bombi's ears. A 144" track would be the t*ts! My own wish list items, to add to yours: 1+1 seating. Optional 550F power.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My suggestion is to make the chassis lighter. According to a snowmobile magazine in europe, they said that BRP made the Tundra/Freestyle to handle a 600 liquid! Way overkill for a 268 - 300 or even a 550F twin.
If you want a 600, buy a REV.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree a liquid would be silly, but i think a 550F would be great!

It's an old BMW formula (remember the 2002?), or original Ford Mustang: put a relatively big motor into a relatively small chassis. And watch out!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am serious about NOS. What could a little shot hurt and you would have all the drivability, economy, etc. just a little more poop when needed

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doo rider said:
How about the new V-800 4 stroke in the 07 Tundra
[snapback]721925[/snapback]​
Sorry, but putting a twin in the Tundra would ruin it. The current single is plenty adequate -- just needs a little better clutching on the start ups. With the weight of a twin on the front end, it would not be a Tundra anymore and lose its appeal. If that is what you want, then the Summit would be the right choice.

If you wanted a 440 twin that was a good work machine/trail breaker, then the Skandic LiteTrack could be a good choice - i.e. next bigger work machine up from the Tundra. However, due to the 440, it is not exactly light weighing in at almost 100 lbs more than the Tundra. Nope -- 375 is the maximum weight I desire and there have been much lighter machines in the past. I do like the 156" articulating track on the Skandic LiteTrack. I wonder if I could put one of those on my 94 Tundra with a few modifications?

The Tundra single is very reliable, gets great gas milage, and is so simple -- only need to carry two spare spark plugs -- not 4 like with a twin. I just want a little more flotation for the type of riding I like to do (often by myself). There have been a lot of times when my 94 Tundra easily walked around buried machines with much larger engines in the soft powder. It sort of gives you a burst of adrenaline -- I mean that little single breaking trail across a soft powder sidehill, with the heavy twins losing their front end and bailing out over the edge. When things get really tricky, I'll choose light weight (especially in the front end) and flotation every time over a high horse power machine with the same size track and heavy frontend when I really need to get somewhere in difficult conditions.

·
Devil Dog
1,848 Posts
I would like to see a better exhaust system. I wish my 06 Freestyle had a little less noise.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
skidooman383 said:
I would like to see a better exhaust system. I wish my 06 Freestyle had a little less noise.
[snapback]722518[/snapback]​
I agree -- I think my 94 Tundra with the clutch tuned fairly hot is the reason I now have to wear hearing aides! The 06 is not quite as noisy but could still use some improvement.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I dont care what you all say about the tundra, but the rt platform is nice, and the freestyle back country looks sweet!!!! :riding

1 - 17 of 17 Posts