Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out riding yesterday with the wife, temp was warm around -2 deg C, about 80 km into our run on an open lake the sled just died. Not running hard or anything, plenty of fuel, belts good, new plugs, fresh gas, lots of oil. Was the first run out so everything was checked. When we went to pull start it, felt more tension on the cord and it just sounded different under the hood. Of course didnt start, so we towed it off the lake and back in the garage.

I dont even know how to begin to diagnose this and I really don't want to take it to the dealer. Nothing looks out of place at all under the hood. Wife said it was chugging a bit before it died, so I suspect fuel delivery issue first but the resistance when trying to pull the cord was concerning, not seized as it still pulls all the way.

Hoping for some pointers to get me started. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Scott

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check your coolant you may have sprung a leak and overheated. Check you didn’t run out of oil. Drain all fuel and check for water unless you were already 80km in then it’s unlikely but... pull primary clutch and see if the clutch seal is leaking. Or put a bore scope down spark plug hole. Then you’ll want to do a leak down test.
I don’t want to be negative but if it locked up on you that engine is coming out for a rebuild unfortunately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info above, finally got into the garage this morning and here is what I've done to try to figure this out.
  • Coolant level good, no leaks
  • Crankcase level good, no metal on the magnet on the dipstick
  • No drips or seeps around primary clutch or anywhere
  • Injection oil level was normal for the distance we rode
  • Compression test - this is probably something thats not good - 90 PSI on left side, 131 PSI on the right.
  • Tried to start and it actually caught for a second and died, then I could pull the starter cord at all.
  • rotated the clutches and could then pull, engine caught again and died right away and then couldnt pull cord again.

When I go to pull the cord with both plugs out, I can hear a metal on metal sound that I never heard before, is subtle and I dont know if its internal but I dont know what to check next. I think this engine is coming out - but I sure would like to know why before I tear it out. I tried to attached a short video of me pulling on it so maybe you can hear the sound, but the format wasnt allowed. perhaps I can email on the side.

Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info above. Pulled the top end this week. Attached a few pics to show the difference between the mag and PTO side. Definitely something going on with the PTO side. Would like to get to the root cause before I replace the pistons and put it all back together. Thoughts?

Also, see pic of the reed boots and the clear line coming from it. Mine is plugged off??? Where is this supposed to attach to? I never noticed this before - maybe the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance to those commenting, helps me alot.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for getting back to me tbone677. When I bought this thing used 4 years ago, it had nitrous on it and I removed it right way. I bet this was a left over of that previous system. I will leave than line capped then and make sure the seal is good on those two boots. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts