Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kamakozy
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend had his crank break and cause some gouges in the back side of the primary. We are wondering if it will be ok to run it like it is or if we should try to find a new primary? Don't know if the damage is extensive enough to cause it to be out of balance. The engine had been rebuilt from top to bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
hard to tell from the picture,but looks to me like some pretty deep wear marks/gouges...myself I would be looking for a replacement...I hate the idea of something spinning 8000 rpm next to my knee and foot...that "may" be out of balance,or ready to come apart...that said it may be just fine...myself again...I would replace...

just my 3 cents...Hardy

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would look for a replacement. The grooves on the upside of the pic are extensive, an not the same as the lower right of the pic. That I going to be way out of balance. My .02 cents though, I agree with hfrick

·
Registered
889 Posts
You should be able to get away with just replacing the fixed sheave not the whole clutch, I broke the splines on one before and found a fixed sheave for $20 that somebody had junked because the threads for ring gear bolts were stripped I didn't have e-start so it didn't matter. I've put thousands of km's on the sled since that and it didn't cause any issues. When did the tapered fit clutches start? if its one of those mabey the fixed and moving sheave has to be of the same pair? can't say forsure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts