Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a little new this so bare with me, i just picket up a 2007 summit 550F with ~4500mi on it. I have changed the chain case gear oil (royal purple 75w-90) and checked chain tension, plugs look fine but picked up a spair set if need be. Installed a new set of Pilot DS2 skis, picking up and replacing all bearings in slide suspension and anything else that wore out when i get home from work. Is there anything else i should look over (track is in good shape) before using it. don't do much trail riding most remote parts, also any advice on what i should get for a set of handlebars, don't really like the stock ones for height and feel. Thanks

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Inspect all moving parts for excessive wear or damage(belt, balljoints, sliders). Check for cracks and bends in the nun and bulkhead, carry spare spark plugs, and have fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I forgot to mention that there is a new bill joint/ tie rod end. Belts are in lime new condition. I looked all under the ski doo for smacks and she looks to be in good condition. Nor sure what to look for when looking for cracks. I looked over her good with a very bright led light but couldn't see anything. As for the bars they don't look like a riser would work, here's a pic of it when I bought it bare with it i,m at sea about 200 mi off shore so can't get a real good pic. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Powermadd makes risers for those bars. A lot of BRP dealers are also WPS (western power sports) dealers as well. There are several Dootalk sponsers that are dealers that could help. One is www.jaycoxpowersports.com

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
check carb boots...and while carbs are off check jetting and clean carbs...check your jetting with the elevation you plan to ride...doo didnt put dpm (automatic carb compensation) on those,so will need to be jetted for you elevation...clean/inspect clutches and carry a spare belt...just my 3cents...Hardy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Was thinking about installing some v-force reads and ether a AAEN or Jaws can. The boots look ok but probably needs to be replaced due to age and possibly dry rot. The belt was new when I bought the ski doo and I looked at the spare, he looks like he's in good shape, no cracks. As for elevation that could be variable. Any were from sea level to maybe 1-2000 feet above. I live along the coast so it hard to say at what elevation i'm going to be operating at on a given ride. As for the clutch what should I look for or clean? Belt contact surfaces look clean, not glazed up or anything.
check carb boots...and while carbs are off check jetting and clean carbs...check your jetting with the elevation you plan to ride...doo didnt put dpm (automatic carb compensation) on those,so will need to be jetted for you elevation...clean/inspect clutches and carry a spare belt...just my 3cents...Hardy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Powermadd makes risers for those bars. A lot of BRP dealers are also WPS (western power sports) dealers as well. There are several Dootalk sponsers that are dealers that could help. One is www.jaycoxpowersports.com
I'll check this out, but is this in the US or Canada? our dollar is crap right now so anything from the USA has to get a good deal if not it cost way more than needed. thanks again

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I like to remove clutches from sled,pull them apart,check condition of bushings etc...at the same time I try to remember to record the primary and secondary spring colors,what it has in it for pin weights,and secondary helix...that way when/if you want to change anything later,you already know whats in there.....I also record what gears are in the chaincase when I change oil...write it on the chaincase cover...same reasons....as for jetting...downside of the 550 fan summit is it should be jetted depending on the days temp and elevation being ridden...just my 3cents Hardy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like to remove clutches from sled,pull them apart,check condition of bushings etc...at the same time I try to remember to record the primary and secondary spring colors,what it has in it for pin weights,and secondary helix...that way when/if you want to change anything later,you already know whats in there.....I also record what gears are in the chaincase when I change oil...write it on the chaincase cover...same reasons....as for jetting...downside of the 550 fan summit is it should be jetted depending on the days temp and elevation being ridden...just my 3cents Hardy
sounds good, but i plan on doing the engine maybe the summer or next if i can wait. whats the ideal/ benefits of messing around with the clutching? i know gearing you can get more top end speed or more power so to speak to turn the track. is there a post somewhere were they go into detail on these things? I am pretty mechanically inclined so this shouldn't be too tough to figure out. thanks again

·
Registered
74 Posts
I completely rebuilt the skid, installed new drive shaft bearings and oil seal. Cleaned the carbs and replaced the carb boots, cleaned the reeds and inspected the cylinders while the reeds was out. Never seen nothing alarming. The sled has 4595 mi on it so I decided to do a compression test. All I have available is this cheep princesse auto compression tester. After I ran the sled to check if I had the track adjust right I did a compression test. I got about ~100 psi on the PTO side and ~105 psi on the other. Safe to say a engine job is in the foreseeable future. Any recommendations on how far I should go with the rebuild and what parts should I get (any kits, brands, etc)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts