Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

2007 Expedition TUV 600 SDI - anyone have experience with this sled?

913 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  LabradorBoy 
#1 ·
Another first timer here. I have very little experience with sleds. The only one I've owned and have any appreciable time on is my well used 2000 Skandic WT 500f. It has some battle scars, no windscreen, the key is broken off in the RUN position in the ignition switch but other than that it usually starts on the second or third pull. Battery is dead. :p But I've been breaking out my local trail and hauling groceries and dragging a home built grooming drag with a cutter blade and it's been doing OK for now.

But, I run sled dogs in Alaska and I have to keep my local trails open and I'm looking to add another sled so I'm not left sitting if one isn't running. Used Skandic's or Tundras seem hard to come by. There's a 2007 Exp. TUV 600 SDI for sale locally with 6600 miles. I haven't looked at it yet and I really know nothing other than the spec sheet. I don't know how this might work for pulling a drag, breaking out trails etc., so I'm looking for anyone with info on this model of expedition for real work.

-David

#2 ·
As a work sled they're pretty good/strong, same type transmission as your 500 skandic but with the improved roller bearings, just a heads up with over 10,000kms it should be due for a engine bearing re-grease if it hasn't already, something to take in account, most everything else you can see?

Reactions: LabradorBoy
#3 ·
As a work sled they're pretty good/strong, same type transmission as your 500 skandic but with the improved roller bearings, just a heads up with over 10,000kms it should be due for a engine bearing re-grease if it hasn't already, something to take in account, most everything else you can see?
I haven't gone to look at it yet. Photos look good but who knows when they were taken eh? I've got just over 13,000 km on the Skandic and so far it's only failed me due to a dirty fuel filter. Any particular items I should look closely at?

I don't know what's involved with a bearing re-grease but it doesn't sound terrible. There's a local freighter here who's adding a couple of new Skandics to his outfit this year so maybe I'm hoping I can add a good used sled like this and keep them going for a few years until he's ready to upgrade again and I can pick up a much newer Skandic.

#4 ·
I don't know what's involved with a bearing re-grease but it doesn't sound terrible. There's a local freighter here who's adding a couple of new Skandics to his outfit this year so maybe I'm hoping I can add a good used sled like this and keep them going for a few years until he's ready to upgrade again and I can pick up a much newer Skandic.
It's a 13-14 yearold sled, you have to look at everything, there were no major reoccurring issues with this model that i know of just normal wear & tear, rear suspension, track etc.... the bearing re-grease i'm referring to requires stripping the engine apart down to the crank, you can go for another year without doing that if the previous owner did't run the sled hard.

#8 ·
I'm not talking new necessarily, over the course of the summer i've seen dozens used sleds 4 strokes up for sale in this area alone, they get grabbed up pretty fast, especially the XU skandics & expeditions W's & SW's they're not always there when you need one but they are there...here anyways......right now i see half a dozen used xu etec's for sale but they are a hard sell here used

Reactions: LabradorBoy
#9 ·
Not so much available here. First, the only guys buying Skandics NEED them, and keep them until they're kept for parts. Secondly the dealers just don't order many Skandics to begin with unless they were pre ordred. Expeditions are becoming more popular here I think. Lots of weekenders heading to their cabins over groomed trails. But I still don't see them listed yet in the used market much at all.

I'm still grappling with what I'd purchase. I fairly well know the pros and cons of each, just hard to make a damn decision. With the expy swt I would still have to add the skid plates, rear hd hitch etc.. raises the cost some I think over a stock skandic swt, both in the 900 ace. I don't need turbo and between the cost and the weight I can scratch that off at least.

#11 ·
I probably should just go with the Skandic for all the reasons that front tub and pogo's make sense. If I want a more trail worthy sled, those are easier to come by in the used market here for sure. I don't think we'd do enough 2 up riding to make the expy worth the trade off's for what I really need the damn sled for in the first place. If I need to route a trail through the willows due to overflow etc., the Skandic will just plow through and over and not bat an eye. Then again, if I'm keeping the old 2000.... oh damn there I go again...LOL

#12 ·
I probably should just go with the Skandic for all the reasons that front tub and pogo's make sense. If I want a more trail worthy sled, those are easier to come by in the used market here for sure. I don't think we'd do enough 2 up riding to make the expy worth the trade off's for what I really need the darn sled for in the first place. If I need to route a trail through the willows due to overflow etc., the Skandic will just plow through and over and not bat an eye. Then again, if I'm keeping the old 2000.... oh darn there I go again...LOL
Remember, both are stellar, and a few willows won't stop the Expedition.

Close your eyes, grab either and be happy, but for your use, I think the Skandic should get the nod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.