Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Renegade has been running extremely rich since I started riding it. It goes into limp mode all the time and when running in excess of 160Km/ph for more than 1 minute it just dies. The whole right side is black from exhaust. I noticed the other day that when I stopped to re fuel, my gas tank had built up pressure inside, so much that when I unscrewed the cap it popped out of my hand. Has anyone else noticed this on their 1000 SDI's? Also I was wondering if any one knows if the cap is supposed to be vented or if there is a vent line some where. I haven't looked for vent yet as we just got back late last night from our ride. Any help would be appreciated. All update have been done by my dealer.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
There is a vent line! but cap should not "pop" off. This will not effect lean or rich condition though. It could be a "run out of fuel" issue though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
My 800 ptek started running rich after i ran it out of gas. The next day kept loading up thank god for electric start even after new plugs. The thing whistel when you stop. And when you take the cap off it will fly a foot in the air. Have;nt rode it since.The only thing that coulded of added to the problem was I was at 8000 plus feet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do a lot of lake running in Canada. Any time I am cruising about 140k or 7000rpms my sled just dies. If I let off the throttle and get back on it, it goes okay for another minute or so, then dies again. This is the same thing that happened to Early Riders sled, except I have not stayed on the gas when it starts to die, I just let off the throttle. This has been on going since I started riding the sled and I also have an open file with BRP. I have not pushed the sled to the point where it is going to fail because I don't want to be with out a ride during this short season. My dealer has tried many things to tried to fix this, but has been un successful so far. Any ideas would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I have the same sled and it does the same thing...I ride from time to time with an identical machine, and his does not do it...the dealer is working hard to find a fix, no luck yet. I found that when I fuel at lodges that have regular 87 octane gas only, this cutting / dying problem worsen. I started carrying Klotz octane booster to get the gas at 91, and it improves, but does not fix entirely.

FATTZ said:
I do a lot of lake running in Canada. Any time I am cruising about 140k or 7000rpms my sled just dies. If I let off the throttle and get back on it, it goes okay for another minute or so, then dies again. This is the same thing that happened to Early Riders sled, except I have not stayed on the gas when it starts to die, I just let off the throttle. This has been on going since I started riding the sled and I also have an open file with BRP. I have not pushed the sled to the point where it is going to fail because I don't want to be with out a ride during this short season. My dealer has tried many things to tried to fix this, but has been un successful so far. Any ideas would be appreciated.
[snapback]737847[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote name='dstpierre' date='Feb 27 2006, 06:48 PM']
I have the same sled and it does the same thing...I ride from time to time with an identical machine, and his does not do it...the dealer is working hard to find a fix, no luck yet. I found that when I fuel at lodges that have regular 87 octane gas only, this cutting / dying problem worsen. I started carrying Klotz octane booster to get the gas at 91, and it improves, but does not fix entirely.

I have not run regular gas in mine. I only run premium. Does your engine light come on at all. On two seperate incidents mine has come on. It flashes on and off. When I shut the sled down and let it cool off the light does not come back on. When I took it to the dealer, there was no code in the computer. The dealer took the sled out and ran it until the light came on. They replaced the Exhaust sensor, but I drove it this week end and there was no improvement. The sled still cuts out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
FATTZ said:
dstpierre said:
I have the same sled and it does the same thing...I ride from time to time with an identical machine, and his does not do it...the dealer is working hard to find a fix, no luck yet. I found that when I fuel at lodges that have regular 87 octane gas only, this cutting / dying problem worsen. I started carrying Klotz octane booster to get the gas at 91, and it improves, but does not fix entirely.

I have not run regular gas in mine. I only run premium. Does your engine light come on at all. On two seperate incidents mine has come on. It flashes on and off. When I shut the sled down and let it cool off the light does not come back on. When I took it to the dealer, there was no code in the computer. The dealer took the sled out and ran it until the light came on. They replaced the Exhaust sensor, but I drove it this week end and there was no improvement. The sled still cuts out.
[snapback]738177[/snapback]​
sounds like alot of us are having the same problem with our 1000's i took mine to my dealer had it re progamed took care of all my problems exept a little fat in midrange yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
FATTZ said:
dstpierre said:
I have the same sled and it does the same thing...I ride from time to time with an identical machine, and his does not do it...the dealer is working hard to find a fix, no luck yet. I found that when I fuel at lodges that have regular 87 octane gas only, this cutting / dying problem worsen. I started carrying Klotz octane booster to get the gas at 91, and it improves, but does not fix entirely.

I have not run regular gas in mine. I only run premium. Does your engine light come on at all. On two seperate incidents mine has come on. It flashes on and off. When I shut the sled down and let it cool off the light does not come back on. When I took it to the dealer, there was no code in the computer. The dealer took the sled out and ran it until the light came on. They replaced the Exhaust sensor, but I drove it this week end and there was no improvement. The sled still cuts out.
[snapback]738177[/snapback]​
My 05 was doing the same thing although my plugs looked a little lean when it would happen. Two weeks ago it burned both pistons and plugs were real white, no codes, dealer has no idea why. I'm still waiting for new cyl's and piston circlips!!
Have you looked at your plugs at the time of failure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO, I HAVEN'T CHECKED MY PLUGS WHEN THIS HAPPENED. MY SLED HARDLY USES ANY OIL, ABOUT 6 LITRES FOR 2700KM. EVERY TIME I RIDE IT, THE BOTTOM 8 INCHES OF THE YELLOW SIDE PANEL ARE COVERED IN SOOT, AND THE GAS MILAGE IS TERRIBLE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlueMax said:
FATTZ said:
NO, I HAVEN'T CHECKED MY PLUGS WHEN THIS HAPPENED. MY SLED HARDLY USES ANY OIL, ABOUT 6 LITRES FOR 2700KM. EVERY TIME I RIDE IT, THE BOTTOM 8 INCHES OF THE YELLOW SIDE PANEL ARE COVERED IN SOOT, AND THE GAS MILAGE IS TERRIBLE.
[snapback]740779[/snapback]​
FATTZ

If those oil usage numbers are correct, you are at a 88 to 1 ratio at 12 MPG (US) and 105 to 1 at 10 MPG (US). I would be surprised if you do not have damage to your pistons and cylinders. Maybe even crank issues. Was your sled ever adjusted for the early Bulletin 2006 -2 this year on 2006 sleds. There was a list of serial numbers of affected sleds. I have a copy if you would like to see. Hope this helps. I would take your sled back to your dealer and have him resolve.
[snapback]740993[/snapback]​
Thanks Max. I have had my sled back to the dealer about 4 times now. He has a couple of guys that are having the same issues as me, and they can not resolve the problem. It is going back on Monday. I am leaving tonight to go to North Bay for the Weekend. I am going to take my chances and ride it the way it is. I bought the extended warranty, but don't think I will get a chance to use it. This will be the one and only year for this Renegade. I love the sled, but will not put up with the poor performance for another year, not a chance. I am thinking of trying the Mach next year. I can only cross my fingers and hope they have all the 1000 issues worked out. I like to think that I am just unlucky and got a lemon, but from all the reading that I have been dooing the last few weeks, it looks like there are quite a few out there. I might even consider the 440 chassis with the 800 in it, if there is truth to the rumor that this sled will be in production.

As far as the updates, I believe they all have been done, Service manager checked my serial numbers against updates required. I just can't believe how little oil it still uses. Coolant update has been done, rave cables adjusted, TPS and closed throttle reset done, new EGT sensor installed, recently installed new mapping to capture if raves do not open. Have not had it back since to see if code shows. Came back from North Bay Monday Morn and leaving tonight. It's still running and hasn't left me stranded. The season is short, so I am not going to take a chance of it sitting in the shop while I should be riding.

If you could send me a list of numbers that would be great. All help is greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hi guys,

My Gade 1000 is not using a lot of oil either, compared to my 04 GSX 800 H.O. I took 3 gallons for 1950 miles.

Mine used to cut like FATZ, engine light would come on and no codes when I would bring it to the dealer. Appearently, erave cable adjustment (reset) was not downloading properly, so they did it 10 times in a row!! It fixed the problem (which before, could only be fixed by shutting down the motor and restart.)

They also placed a washer in between my oxygen sensor and the motor, so it is not as sensitive. This pretty much fixed the problem of the machine falling on its face (it would feel like there was a rev. limiter on the machine when I would hit 100 mph - the RPM would start going down and speedo go down. down, down...).

Also, I had placed an aftermarket "can" (just the end, not the pipes) for the sound. That was taking a lot of horse power out of the machine. I junked that.

Finally changed the weights in the clutch, changed the cam, ramps and installed the Mach Z gear (29 teeth instead of 27). I don't know the specs of the weights, ramp not cam...my mechanic keeps it a secret. But I saw 119 MPH on the speedo last Wednesday on a very icy road, and 114 regularly on the trail. It does work fine now, and I'm happy I did not trade the machine after the first couple of drives. I know how FATZ is feeling, and don't blame you if you want to trade...sad you can't find the problem.

FATTZ said:
BlueMax said:
FATTZ said:
NO, I HAVEN'T CHECKED MY PLUGS WHEN THIS HAPPENED. MY SLED HARDLY USES ANY OIL, ABOUT 6 LITRES FOR 2700KM. EVERY TIME I RIDE IT, THE BOTTOM 8 INCHES OF THE YELLOW SIDE PANEL ARE COVERED IN SOOT, AND THE GAS MILAGE IS TERRIBLE.
[snapback]740779[/snapback]​
FATTZ

If those oil usage numbers are correct, you are at a 88 to 1 ratio at 12 MPG (US) and 105 to 1 at 10 MPG (US). I would be surprised if you do not have damage to your pistons and cylinders. Maybe even crank issues. Was your sled ever adjusted for the early Bulletin 2006 -2 this year on 2006 sleds. There was a list of serial numbers of affected sleds. I have a copy if you would like to see. Hope this helps. I would take your sled back to your dealer and have him resolve.
[snapback]740993[/snapback]​
Thanks Max. I have had my sled back to the dealer about 4 times now. He has a couple of guys that are having the same issues as me, and they can not resolve the problem. It is going back on Monday. I am leaving tonight to go to North Bay for the Weekend. I am going to take my chances and ride it the way it is. I bought the extended warranty, but don't think I will get a chance to use it. This will be the one and only year for this Renegade. I love the sled, but will not put up with the poor performance for another year, not a chance. I am thinking of trying the Mach next year. I can only cross my fingers and hope they have all the 1000 issues worked out. I like to think that I am just unlucky and got a lemon, but from all the reading that I have been dooing the last few weeks, it looks like there are quite a few out there. I might even consider the 440 chassis with the 800 in it, if there is truth to the rumor that this sled will be in production.

As far as the updates, I believe they all have been done, Service manager checked my serial numbers against updates required. I just can't believe how little oil it still uses. Coolant update has been done, rave cables adjusted, TPS and closed throttle reset done, new EGT sensor installed, recently installed new mapping to capture if raves do not open. Have not had it back since to see if code shows. Came back from North Bay Monday Morn and leaving tonight. It's still running and hasn't left me stranded. The season is short, so I am not going to take a chance of it sitting in the shop while I should be riding.

If you could send me a list of numbers that would be great. All help is greatly appreciated.
[snapback]742177[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. The sled is at the dealers right now and he thinks he has a cure for it. I hope so. I also have the new E-rave memo from BRP. The first paragraph of this memo describes my sled exactly.

Quote from memo:

This can lead to rich running,(black streaks in snow) poor performance, check engine light flashing, poor fuel economy, and beeping sounds from the buzzer.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top