Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First off, Ski Doo's kick "edit for bad language"!!

After about the 9th or 10th trip this year on a 2006 800 Summit, I am having a little trouble with one of the sleds.

- 3 feet of powder, 4K to 5K feet elevation

- Changed the factory spark plugs the night before with same kind, did not touch gap.

It felt like all was good until we hit the powder hard. I started feeling like I was not getting all the power, like it was not hitting the high RPM'S. As we rode, it became more noticable that I was losing power. I raced our other sled (same year and model) it took off and left me behind. I would pin it and top speed was 28mph. I stopped and put back the original plugs and it was back to life once again. After a bit more riding, same problem losing power. It seemed to work great for awile and then back to loss of power? I can not help but think it is related to the deep powder, but the other sled did not have any problems? I was told that it looked like I was putting out more smoke than the other sled. I only have four days until we hit the mountain again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

P.S.

Who else here is from the Seattle/Enumclaw area in Washington? I read a post here talking about Green Water, which is where we ride.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First I would recommend you check your clutches. I have a few buddies with new revs that have had the same problem and it turned out that the tra arms were sticking. Another thing could be your rings. If your rings are flaked you could also notice a power loss. The last thing but probably the most unlikely thing that could be your problem is a sacked out clutch spring. I've owned a few revs and ride with many and these seem to be the most common reasons for your power loss.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jasonrev said:
First I would recommend you check your clutches. I have a few buddies with new revs that have had the same problem and it turned out that the tra arms were sticking. Another thing could be your rings. If your rings are flaked you could also notice a power loss. The last thing but probably the most unlikely thing that could be your problem is a sacked out clutch spring. I've owned a few revs and ride with many and these seem to be the most common reasons for your power loss.
[snapback]688909[/snapback]​
does the sled seem like its missing when this is happening or does it just seem like a 340 fan ?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Are you over reving? If you back of the throttle just a little is it better?If so clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RoverGuy said:
Hello All,

After about the 9th or 10th trip this year on a 2006 800 Summit, I am having a little trouble with one of the sleds.

- Changed the factory spark plugs the night before with same kind, did not touch gap.

It felt like all was good until we hit the powder hard. I started feeling like I was not getting all the power, like it was not hitting the high RPM'S. As we rode, it became more noticable that I was losing power. I raced our other sled (same year and model) it took off and left me behind. I would pin it and top speed was 28mph. I stopped and put back the original plugs and it was back to life once again. After a bit more riding, same problem losing power. It seemed to work great for awile and then back to loss of power? I can not help but think it is related to the deep powder, but the other sled did not have any problems? I was told that it looked like I was putting out more smoke than the other sled. I only have four days until we hit the mountain again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

P.S.

Who else here is from the Seattle/Enumclaw area in Washington? I read a post here talking about Green Water, which is where we ride.
[snapback]688892[/snapback]​
Just went through what sounds like the same thing. Changed my clickers, plugs nothin worked...so I went back to the basics. Deep powder covering the air intake, the cells were always full of snow which had formed ice through the filter; had to bang it clean every few runs. just odered a "sock" to prevent this. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rover guy,
unplug the computer box and replug it in, it get moisture in the deep snow, i dont know how to fix it for good, but unpugging fixes it for the moment, i have the same problem

·
Registered
321 Posts
RoverGuy said:
Hello All,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

P.S.

[snapback]688892[/snapback]​
Check the air intake vent on the left side. It can ice up and seriously rob power. Experienced several times myself Also check DPM hose one might be a little short and falls off, I think this has been a problem but sounds like intake vent icing up and blocking the air to the carbs

·
Registered
77 Posts
Like snowdog said it sounds very much like what happened to my sled. Pull the airbox off the carbs (2 minute job) and check the dpm hoses are attached. If they are off the computer will go full rich and retard timing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the good info. I was leaning towards the vent being clogged also. Just with having two of the same sleds and only one acting up under the same conditions makes me wonder. I checked everything and it all looks good, I have my fingers crossed for the weekend. Where can I get this sock?

·
Registered
155 Posts
[quote name='RoverGuy' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:21 PM']
Thanks for all the good info. I was leaning towards the vent being clogged also. Just with having two of the same sleds and only one acting up under the same conditions makes me wonder. I checked everything and it all looks good, I have my fingers crossed for the weekend. Where can I get this sock?
[snapback]693532[/snapback]​
[/quoteSounds like my sled. Shop found DPM hose off the carb. Have to wait till this weekend to find oud if this fixes it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
RoverGuy said:
[snapback]693532[/snapback]​
most dealers carry the sock for around $14.00

·
Registered
161 Posts
HERE IS TO P/N FOR THE AIR FILTER SOCK 508000454,
15.97 US, 20.47 CAD, AVAILABLE FROM ALL DEALERS.
HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help. I was out today with no problem. It was definatly the powder preventing air flow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts