Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys.... love this sled and bought it new. So i know the history of it. 2 years ago I started to get a little rough idle in it and it would seem to babble a bit at slow speeds.(40mph or under) But the sled seemed fine wide open and always started fine. Last year i did a compression test on it and it checked out very well. 135/132 both sides and held it too. Replaced the PTO seal, the relays and added some sea foam in the gas to try and clear the babble out. We put 900 miles on it and that babble just wont go away. Took it out of storage this year and noticed oil on the bottom of the engine. Took out the exhaust and noticed oil in the Y pipe coming from the mag side.... Sled started up very rich and then cleared up. So now I have two problems... Sled runs the same as last 2 years. This sled went just over 10000 miles with no issues. Garage kept and hauled with an enclosed trailer. It's in pretty good shape. Help me out guys....

Thanks

Rob

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,048 Posts
You could have 2 different issues. The oil in the pipe sounds like a bad center seal. The babble could be a side effect from that, but if it's consistent, it's likely something else. Have you ever cleaned the throttle body or the injectors? There are two injectors per cylinder, one low speed and one high. So if the issue only exists at low speed and idle, you could have a dirty injector.

BTW, if had both issues with my 04. Fixed with injectors being cleaned and a new crank.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could have 2 different issues. The oil in the pipe sounds like a bad center seal. The babble could be a side effect from that, but if it's consistent, it's likely something else. Have you ever cleaned the throttle body or the injectors? There are two injectors per cylinder, one low speed and one high. So if the issue only exists at low speed and idle, you could have a dirty injector.

BTW, if had both issues with my 04. Fixed with injectors being cleaned and a new crank.

My injectors have never been cleaned. I believe it's one of the low speed injectors but i don't know which one. All injectors are the same I believe but I don't know if it's the inside ones or outside. New injectors are pricey and seen some used fuel rails with injectors for like $200. When I take out my injectors myself can I clean them or do they have to be sent out? Also, running the sled with that center seal going out....how much more damage can happen? I really wanted to go another year since this is just a part time sled with the family. Maybe 500/700 more miles this year or is the sled done?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I thought one injector was used at low to mid and two for high ! If you have a plugged injector could lean out and squeak a piston . The oil seal would have to leak alot to do damage . Is the sled using lots of oil ? Smoking really bad?

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,048 Posts
Low speed injectors are the outside ones, at either end of the rail. You could swap injectors, high to low on each cylinder and determine if the issue continues. I took mine to a diesel shop and had them cleaned and flow tested.

The center seal can become an issue, it could cause the sled to lean out. I ran mine for 2 seasons before replacing the crank.

Reactions: RBT700

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
For the center seals, keep the tank above 3/4 so if the oil leaks out of the center pump cavity it will create a vacuum and draw the oil it needs to keep the cavity full. Also monitor the oil tank level between rides. If it leaks when the engine is at rest, then you will notice a drop in the oil level.

If the cavity runs dry in oil the coolant pump gear will strip and cause a big mess. You can also pressure test the center cavity. There are many ways to go about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought one injector was used at low to mid and two for high ! If you have a plugged injector could lean out and squeak a piston . The oil seal would have to leak alot to do damage . Is the sled using lots of oil ? Smoking really bad?
Oil consumption was normal and the sled didn't smoke much at all. Gas mileage has been a little off for about 3 years. It still gets a consistent 15/16mpg but I used to see 17/18mpg once in awhile.

Low speed injectors are the outside ones, at either end of the rail. You could swap injectors, high to low on each cylinder and determine if the issue continues. I took mine to a diesel shop and had them cleaned and flow tested.

The center seal can become an issue, it could cause the sled to lean out. I ran mine for 2 seasons before replacing the crank.

Thanks!!! That's what I was looking for to tell which ones were low or high speed injectors. This sled had a good run and I really shouldn't complain about the many good years I had with it. I guess I'll be looking to rebuild it or buy a used motor. I really wanted to go to 11,500 miles to get more miles than my buddies 08 SDI. I'm going to run it for a couple weekends an keep a close eye on the oil level.

For the center seals, keep the tank above 3/4 so if the oil leaks out of the center pump cavity it will create a vacuum and draw the oil it needs to keep the cavity full. Also monitor the oil tank level between rides. If it leaks when the engine is at rest, then you will notice a drop in the oil level.

If the cavity runs dry in oil the coolant pump gear will strip and cause a big mess. You can also pressure test the center cavity. There are many ways to go about it.
Thanks for the input and this is exactly what I'm going to do for a few weekends. Maybe it'll make it the whole year...

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
It could be wear in the clutch components that's raising the fuel consumption. After several years the track is so much more malleable that you gain.... never mind, trade secrets lol Compression could also be on the low side. Compression can actually keep going up and stay high for thousands of miles. Then that one day the rings run too hot and they loose compression. I don't mean the coolant - although that's bad too - but the rings. You didn't mention it, but I'm not sure that you can beat your buddy's 08. Leave out the part about replacing the primary spring and should have a good chance lol Then you give him a new spring and help him make his sled go faster so that he can snap his suspenders lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be wear in the clutch components that's raising the fuel consumption. After several years the track is so much more malleable that you gain.... never mind, trade secrets lol Compression could also be on the low side. Compression can actually keep going up and stay high for thousands of miles. Then that one day the rings run too hot and they loose compression. I don't mean the coolant - although that's bad too - but the rings. You didn't mention it, but I'm not sure that you can beat your buddy's 08. Leave out the part about replacing the primary spring and should have a good chance lol Then you give him a new spring and help him make his sled go faster so that he can snap his suspenders lol
My buddie put a new used motor in his sled at 11000 miles. I was hoping that I'd be able to get more miles than him before a rebuild. Don't look like that now though. lol His sled has some clutch work done to it so it was as snappy as my 06 and that's not saying much from a sled that's about 50lbs lighter. He also ended up gearing it down too. Pulls like an 800 now up to 90/95mph but then it's pretty much done.

My compression is pretty good and even on both sides. 135ish My clutch is due for a rebuild as well. it's been cleaned but time for a rebuild kit. 13 years of good running with over 10000 miles I just can't complain. SDI's can be nightmares for people but I have seem many run very well without all the problems. In 06....what else could you buy without any trouble. Skidoo 800 would have blown a long time ago and they really weren't much faster imo.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
My buddie put a new used motor in his sled at 11000 miles. I was hoping that I'd be able to get more miles than him before a rebuild. Don't look like that now though. lol His sled has some clutch work done to it so it was as snappy as my 06 and that's not saying much from a sled that's about 50lbs lighter. He also ended up gearing it down too. Pulls like an 800 now up to 90/95mph but then it's pretty much done.

My compression is pretty good and even on both sides. 135ish My clutch is due for a rebuild as well. it's been cleaned but time for a rebuild kit. 13 years of good running with over 10000 miles I just can't complain. SDI's can be nightmares for people but I have seem many run very well without all the problems. In 06....what else could you buy without any trouble. Skidoo 800 would have blown a long time ago and they really weren't much faster imo.
It's still as good as a sled as it was back then. The bulk of problems were either related to corrosion or fuel issues. I'm oversimplifying things by a lot, but it goes to show that a two stroke that runs well has no reason to go south. I have witnessed enough good&bad examples that it took years to work through the fear of failure. The number of 2S failures that drove owners to 4S is real. It's not just the SDI, but also the E-TEC and it's still going on with the latest tech. You get over one bad experience, but it gets tough after 2. Repeated failures will drive anyone nuts lol

Don't get me wrong, I am agreeing with you, all of it! I find the understanding of a 600 passing by an 800 isn't well understood. And they can both easily pass by a 1000 in a short race. Getting all three to work as they should is the real pleasure. In the mean time keep focusing on passing by the larger cc sleds. Guaranteed satisfaction lol

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
21,048 Posts
Miles of smiles. 15,000 on my sdi, new crank and pistons this year. Ready for more.

Reactions: RBT700

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
there is no high speed and low speed injectors, there all the same.Its the computer that controls the pressure ect to each side.

U can flip them around and see if it changes sides on each cylinder. I had well over 10000 miles on my 05 sdi before selling.

I had to clean the injectors also but different symptoms, doubt its that. I think xcrsp is on to something. Check the reeds also, even if the boots arent

delaminating the reeds them selves could be cracked or out of spec on the one side and it will run like crap. I had to change my crank

also at approx 9000 miles, connecting rod bearings when bad, knocking like a mother.But thats not your issue, just some info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's still as good as a sled as it was back then. The bulk of problems were either related to corrosion or fuel issues. I'm oversimplifying things by a lot, but it goes to show that a two stroke that runs well has no reason to go south. I have witnessed enough good&bad examples that it took years to work through the fear of failure. The number of 2S failures that drove owners to 4S is real. It's not just the SDI, but also the E-TEC and it's still going on with the latest tech. You get over one bad experience, but it gets tough after 2. Repeated failures will drive anyone nuts lol

Don't get me wrong, I am agreeing with you, all of it! I find the understanding of a 600 passing by an 800 isn't well understood. And they can both easily pass by a 1000 in a short race. Getting all three to work as they should is the real pleasure. In the mean time keep focusing on passing by the larger cc sleds. Guaranteed satisfaction lol
This sled was know as a 800 killer for awhile out of the hole and mid range!!! I bought it as a left over going into the 07 season so the dealer updated the mapping and plugs. I added the extra filter in the side panel, removed the tool box and that extra plastic guard for the clutch. Anything to keep things cooler. But what really changed the game was the friggin belt.... Put a XS double sided ribbed belt for an 800 on it and it truly woke this sled up. (96 studs helped as well.) All this info I got from dootalk years ago so this sled hit the ground ready to rock since new. Many people questioned if that was really just a 800. It gives my 800 a run on hard packed snow up to 60/70mph and is faster in the twisties. The shorter track sled with studs can be hard to beat.

there is no high speed and low speed injectors, there all the same.Its the computer that controls the pressure ect to each side.

U can flip them around and see if it changes sides on each cylinder. I had well over 10000 miles on my 05 sdi before selling.

I had to clean the injectors also but different symptoms, doubt its that. I think xcrsp is on to something. Check the reeds also, even if the boots arent

delaminating the reeds them selves could be cracked or out of spec on the one side and it will run like crap. I had to change my crank

also at approx 9000 miles, connecting rod bearings when bad, knocking like a mother.But thats not your issue, just some info.
I'm going to check on the reeds and boots when I take the injectors out. The boots look good on the outside...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Also check the spark on each side.Should be exactly the same if not then possible spark plug cap or wire bad, the SDI load up with dirt inside the plug cap

and dont fire properly.so your left with lots of unburnt gas oil ect in that cylinder. Usually I have found only the low speed side injectors go bad or get clogged.

Ive never seen a high speed side clogged. U can replace or back flush it with 12 volt ,theres a video on here somewhere or take to a shop and have done.

I did mine got the snap back on low end.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My 2 cents.....had the same rough idle issue with my '07 SDI and it turned out that the reed valves were full of belt dust! Cleaned them out [along with the throttle bodies] and Viola--runs like new again. I am still totally flabbergasted as to how/why SDI's suck belt dust in, but they doo. Moral: depending on mileage, clean the throttle bodies and reeds every year.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Daag44....I thought I remember you talking about this belt dust issue a couple years ago--?!

·
Registered
721 Posts
At 10,000 miles, I'd send the injectors out for cleaning. I've used InjectorRx in Houston. They inspect, clean, and flow test before and after cleaning. Their service is fast, too. Before you send the injectors out, (if you do), write down the serial numbers of the injectors and their position. On the ones I sent in, the two injectors that get used at low speed were flowing much less that the others, and they are all rated at the same flow rate. After cleaning, they were dead-even. Website link below, if you're interested. A lot of good info on their site, as well...

Well, pasting a link didn't work. Google them and they come up first.

Your oil issue may be a stuck oil pump arm. That's pretty common, and easy to diagnose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts