Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, my 06 SDI is really fun to ride for about 45 minutes. After that, it loses about 500 RPM all the way through the range when you mash the throttle. This makes it really slow. Is the motor getting heat soaked and loses power? My clutches are cool so I know that is not the problem. It also doesn't hardly burn any oil. My friends SDI burns twice as much. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
slik22 said:
For some reason, my 06 SDI is really fun to ride for about 45 minutes. After that, it loses about 500 RPM all the way through the range when you mash the throttle. This makes it really slow. Is the motor getting heat soaked and loses power? My clutches are cool so I know that is not the problem. It also doesn't hardly burn any oil. My friends SDI burns twice as much. Any ideas?
[snapback]725302[/snapback]​
Pretty common problem. All I did at first is make sure I have a good belt and run the clickers as high as I needed too. If it was warm out ( close to freezing ) I would run it on 6. Alittle cooler out, turn them to 5. It will over rev for those first " 45 minutes " but after that it will be pretty close. Then I changed the primary spring to alot stronger one. Engauges at 44 - 4500 and the ending spring rate is I think was 60 pounds stronger, I forget the numbers. But I really like this spring, gets ride of the boggy take offs and the engine rev's more consistantly all day. I run the clickers on 3 now. Well worth the 30 bucks for the spring.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If it runs to about 8100 rpm it should be OK. If it runs beyond that try above. If you have a lot of miles on it the Erave valves could be blocked/dirty but if you are not using much oil I don't think that's it. Also there should be some oil smoke when you first start it. If not you may need to turn your oil pump up to use a little more oil.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know i am not giving you any ideas,but if i was you i would bring it back to the dealer.I know that can be a pain in the ----- . Its a brand new sled.Have you called the dealer about the problem.Let them fix it. Thats what customer service is all about.I just bought 06 sdi mine is fine.I do not use much injection oil either.Good luck. JDiMaria

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
JDiMaria said:
I know i am not giving you any ideas,but if i was you i would bring it back to the dealer.I know that can be a pain in the ----- . Its a brand new sled.Have you called the dealer about the problem.Let them fix it. Thats what customer service is all about.I just bought 06 sdi mine is fine.I do not use much injection oil either.Good luck. JDiMaria
[snapback]725423[/snapback]​
The problem is that most dealers can't fix it. They are not going to ride it for 45 minutes to see how it acts. If there is no answers/fixes from skidoo when they call, it won't get fixed. Just the way it is. It has to be a very wide spread, extremely common problem, like almost every sled, for skidoo to address it right away. So usually winter's over by then. I'm not blameing any dealers, how do you fix something when everything you look at on the sled is perfect. They are not going to get paid to test drive it and try different parts, see if this works or that works and going by what the customers says can be extremely difficult and sometimes way off base. This is why dootalk exsists.

·
Registered
3 Posts
slik22 said:
dont waste your time or money its probably in one of your sending units
to much heat . buddy has same sled -15 cel works well .In powder heats up and will not pull its rpm back to dealer 7-8 times.?????? tried evey thing .

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Sounds like it is going into limp mode and should put a code in the MPEM the dealer BUDs system can read this most likely the EGT is intermitant showing to hot there is also a reflash for 06 SDIs that should help

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
These guy are right, I've had 2 SDIs, they both exhibit this problem, I use the 230/350 primary spring, added pin weight and TEAm secondary and geared down 2 teeth on the bottom (45), this all helps but still adjusting the klickers is required from warm to cold outside. What I have noticed after prolong high speed driving it seems to revert back to that intial operating mode when starting out and the sled goes like hell. I think the problem is pipe heat, trouble maintaining constant temperature, I could be wrong but this was a problem on the 440 racer they tried to rectify by putting a temperature probe in the pipe that alters timing to maintain pipe at a constant temperature, don't know if it works though.

What I do know this SDI is one hot sled, very pleased with everything.

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
wait untill its dark.when your sled goes to limp mode after fast riding.stop.open exhuast side cover and look for red glow around temp sensor.

I think this is why most 05 & 06 600 sdi go to limp mode.

·
Registered
152 Posts
is there a fix for the limp mode issue, cause if there is not i'm buying something else.
enough is enough

my 03 sounded like a bomb
the 06 just goes limp

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
diabolic said:
is there a fix for the limp mode issue, cause if there is not i'm buying something else.
enough is enough

my 03 sounded like a bomb
the 06 just goes limp
[snapback]726220[/snapback]​
call brp at 715-848-4957 and tell them to add your comments to complaint file # 1142531. they need to understand that to many sleds are doing this. Why didn't doo build 10 600 sdi sleds and run them fast to find the problem before they sold them to the public??????

·
Registered
255 Posts
slik22 said:
I'm curious- when was your sled built? I have a 600 SDI renegade (06), and have had
no trouble with it in 600 mi. It seems to go fine whether I putt-putt around or run it hard. Mine was built in Oct. of 05, so maybe the problems others are having were fixed
by the time mine was built. I've pulled out the plugs and they look a little rich if anything, and I am going to turn the oil pump up a little. I'm going to talk to my local dealer here (I think they are pretty sharp) and see what they have to say.

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
flatlanderfornow said:
slik22 said:
I'm curious- when was your sled built? I have a 600 SDI renegade (06), and have had
no trouble with it in 600 mi. It seems to go fine whether I putt-putt around or run it hard. Mine was built in Oct. of 05, so maybe the problems others are having were fixed
by the time mine was built. I've pulled out the plugs and they look a little rich if anything, and I am going to turn the oil pump up a little. I'm going to talk to my local dealer here (I think they are pretty sharp) and see what they have to say.
[snapback]726739[/snapback]​
I have a 05 600 sdi x model renagade that had to be ordered in the spring . I do not know when the engine was built.

·
Registered
152 Posts
the only idea i can give you at this point is buy a donkey it would be better than that doo of mine

doo wants to be like cat these days

·
one fast 98 mach-z
1,328 Posts
diabolic said:
the only idea i can give you at this point is buy a donkey it would be better than that doo of mine

doo wants to be like cat these days
[snapback]726917[/snapback]​
I am going to try rapping my can that overheats with my warranty paper to keep the heat from melting my side panels. This may be the fix everyone is looking for.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
its not a clutch spring...

I am sure the clutch spring could be a great mod but the sled needs to run right with stock parts first.

LIMP mode is making the most sense/bad sensor... if the sensor thinks there is a problem, then "you have a problem..."

it does have to go to the dealer to get on the computer... and I also agree with you that most time "rare" problems are a sledders worst nightmare...

not sure where you live, but if in CNY get it to Ingles, regardless of where you bought it...

my 06 SDI runs perfect - if not a bit underpowered -- but my 04 ran perfect too!

do an oil to gas ratio and you will see its probbaly using the correct amount of oil, otherwise you would have melted by now...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you read this guys original post, he said nothing of it going it limp mode or any lights coming on. When the sleds go into limp mode, you can't hardly even move, the engine won't rev up hardly at all. He is complaining of low max engine rpm, by roughly 500 rpm, this is a different problem. His problem has nothing to do with the can getting too hot. Stop confusing him.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
WOT said:
If you read this guys original post, he said nothing of it going it limp mode or any lights coming on. When the sleds go into limp mode, you can't hardly even move, the engine won't rev up hardly at all. He is complaining of low max engine rpm, by roughly 500 rpm, this is a different problem. His problem has nothing to do with the can getting too hot. Stop confusing him.
[snapback]727257[/snapback]​
YA!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts