Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am looking at two sleds. One is a renegade 800 HO and the other is an 800 with the x package. They are both about $3000. The HO has 7000 miles but the motor was rebuilt top to bottom 100 miles ago. It has a 144 in track with 2 inch paddles. The other with the x package has 3000 miles and has not been rebuilt. It has a 121" track with an inch and a quarter paddle. Both of the sleds have e start and reverse. I am wanting to do mostly trail riding but I also want to go I powder sometimes and not get stuck. I will be riding in northern wi and maybe the up. This will be my first sled and I am 16 and want to have fun and not have to worry about breaking down on the trails. Any thoughts on which one I should get?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am looking at two sleds. One is a renegade 800 HO and the other is an 800 with the x package. They are both about $3000. The HO has 7000 miles but the motor was rebuilt top to bottom 100 miles ago. It has a 144 in track with 2 inch paddles. The other with the x package has 3000 miles and has not been rebuilt. It has a 121" track with an inch and a quarter paddle. Both of the sleds have e start and reverse. I am wanting to do mostly trail riding but I also want to go I powder sometimes and not get stuck. I will be riding in northern wi and maybe the up. This will be my first sled and I am 16 and want to have fun and not have to worry about breaking down on the trails. Any thoughts on which one I should get?
I am going to get blasted for this for sure.... but... NEITHER SLED :)

Get yourself a nice used Doo 500ss (really a 597 cc engine don't be fooled) or 600 HO and learn to ride before hopping on an 800cc / ~130 HP monster.. Thats all I got

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also just found a 2008 MXZ 800r with the x package. It has 6000 miles but it has a rebuild with 800 miles on it for $3000 with some plastics cracked and a new inch and a quarter track

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sniff around, now is the time to buy. I like lower miles, as able. Consider Yamaha too.

Both of my current sleds were bought slightly used, 400 miles and 150 on the other.

A relative has a 600 Renegade, does fine in U.P. powder.

I was just in the Yoop 2 weeks ago. I just took my 550F, cuz it was ready to go. It got me around the trails and off trail just fine.

You need to get something then rack up miles and experience.

Give me an old 70's Rupp as long as it runs well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My rule of thumb is never buy a sled that has had a rebuild within the last 300 or so miles. Many seem to use it as a selling point, but my concern is their abilities. Some slap something together, claim it as a benefit to you and try to get more $$. No thanks. I'd rather rebuild myself and know it's on me.

You have many months til you get to ride again, time is on your side to shop around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check the price on insurance before you get your mind set on the 800. I have a 500ss and mxz600sdi and insuring both is cheaper than my 1 800. The 600sdi is easier to maneuver than the renegade through the trails and be side by side with those older 800s on the lake. WIth a little maintenance, those 500ss/really a 600 will outlast the 800 engine.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
How long have you been riding? If you have a few years in the seat; can throw a Renegade around; and do a top end then the X is the way to go. If you're new; small; and have never worked on a sled then look for an 01 MXZ 600 and put some miles on it. Ride with caution if you go with the 800.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
How long have you been riding? If you have a few years in the seat; can throw a Renegade around; and do a top end then the X is the way to go. If you're new; small; and have never worked on a sled then look for an 01 MXZ 600 and put some miles on it. Ride with caution if you go with the 800.
What he said X2.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,284 Posts
Long track 800HO!!!!

Buy scratchers and a Koso temp gauge.......144 x 2" is a bit much for 90% trails but if your 50/50......long track all the way, put a 1 3/4" track on the 144 and you might be good to go? Riding style and condition and experience makes a big difference!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am plenty big enough to toss around a sled(6'2" 245) and am new to snowmobiling but I ride atvs almost every weekend in the summer. Also about the insurance I was thinking that a couple hundred a year was pretty cheap for full coverage with an 800 being 16 years old. I love to go fast and don't want to be wanting more power/speed right from the start of ownership. Adding power, at least on atvs, isn't cheap trust me.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Dang, you're a big one. What Banger said. Get the 144.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What would be a decent insurance price for an 800 being 16 years old with full coverage?
That my friend is what I'd call an oxymoron...... You'd be better off taking advice for us experienced riders and getting a 600 as a starter sled.. since after all this is your FIRST sled... ATV riding experience does not equal Sled riding experience... But you already have your mind made up.. That is obvious :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guess I got busted. Lol around here I can't even find a nice used 600 for under 3500$ without 10k miles. I also don't want a carb model because that's what my atv has and can be hard to start sometimes.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If you get away with $300 a year, that would be a deal.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
First sled, no way should be an 800cc monster, a 600cc sled will scoot you right along. Check insurance first, you will get a big surprise, it won't be cheap, it goes up big time after 600cc depending on driving record. A 600cc sled is much more dependable and will run with bigger cc sleds in the trails. Also spend the time taking a safety class, it could save your life or some one else.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Guess I got busted. Lol around here I can't even find a nice used 600 for under 3500$ without 10k miles. I also don't want a carb model because that's what my atv has and can be hard to start sometimes.
There is a reason the 600's are more expensive.. Take advice from experienced sledders.. Let's get one thing straight.. There is not a stock quad that could ever come close to running with any liquid cooled snowmobile over 500cc (two stroke).. They are nowhere close to the same.. The 800 also has carbs too btw.. I owned an 05' 800 and in 07' picked up a 600 sdi. You have time to wait.. Look for a 600 sdi would be my suggestion.. What a fine motor they were and ran with and many times would outrun their respective year 800's.. They ran HOT. Don't rush this descion.. Older 800's are highly prone to top end failures and headaches for the owners.. You won't be disappointed with a 600.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts