Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted previously about a week in Quebec:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...&hl=arubenstein

Today, I returned from another week in Quebec. Myself and another guy who both own a '05 Mach Z. We did about 1,150 miles in five days (for those of you who know Quebec, we did Mekinac - Roberval - Chibougamau - Senneterre - Parent - Relay 22 - La Tuque - Mekinac). Many of the days were crazy cold -- at least two of the nights we rode in, the temperature was colder than minus 20 F.

First, a few updates since my last post. After the last trip, our sleds went back to Haverstraw Motorsports. We complained about the spark plug fouling issue, which was easy, since both sleds fouled a plug at the dealer, while pulling them out of the trailer. The dealer replaced the plugs, and gave us a few spare new ones. Read on -- we needed them. They also checked the TPS and Oil pump calibration, and all was well with this.

We also had the sleds fitted with 1.25" Ripsaw's, and 144 studs (1.375 Woody's) in the pre-drilled position on the track. I found that while this track had amazing (sometimes scary) hookup in hardpack, it did take a bit off the top end -- at least it felt this way. I was hard pressed to make the sled go faster than 99 to 100 MPH (per GPS) with this track. There was a little slop on the trial (1 to 2" of fresh powder on top of hardpack) in the places that I could pin it wide open. Installed with these tracks was also a 1" tunnel protector. It seemed to me that the track was constantly hitting against the protector at anything about 50 to 70 MPH.

Within one day, the track began to ratchet pretty bad under hard acceleration -- I had it retentioned and aligned at the Chibougamou SkiDoo dealer. It was fine for several days, but began to ratchet on the last day again.

Due to poor planning (the first time), and too much wide open throttle on piston alley (the train tracks on Trail 93 between Chibougamau and Lac Quevillon), I ran out of gas twice. I found out some very interesting things about this sled regarding this. First, it will not use all of the fuel in the tank (as previously mentioned). It is a 10 gallon tank, I was never, even after running it 'dry', able to put more than 8.5 to 9 gallons in it. Also, the machine tended to bog quit a bit under acceleration and uphill during the last gallon or so. And, most importantly, if you run the tank dry, the fuel pump (at least for me) does not have enough lift to pull gas back into the injector rails if you only put a gallon or so back in the tank. The only way I could the fuel pump primed again was by being towed to the fuel station, and filling the tank. It then fired right back up.

Regarding plug fouling. I am becoming more convinced it has something to do with cold temperature. Every time (except once) that it has fouled plugs, it has been brutally cold (less than 0 F). We fouled a couple set of plugs. My friend fouled one plug after a 45 to 60 minute stop in -20 F weather; we both fouled a morning after the sleds stayed out in -28 F weather. We both fouled again this morning in 10 F weather. When the sled fouls, it appears to be either ONLY the PTO side, or both. Never JUST the brake side. I don't know what this means, but, if SkiDoo is reading this, take note.

During our time in Quebec, I ran into a few other Mach Z owners, however, I only had the chance to speak to one in Lac Faillon. I had asked him if he was having fouling problems, and he said that it was happening constantly until he had the (and I quote) "computer updated at his dealer", and changed his gapping to .018".

I immediately called my dealer from Quebec to tell him what I had learned, and he said he would look into it. He came back to me after talking to SkiDoo tech in Wisconsin that there was definately NO computer update. My dealer WAS told my SkiDoo Tech Support that we should try switching to BR8ECS, and gap at .018", and 'see what happens.'

Further to the 'black stuff' dripping down the side of the engine block, he was talkd by tech support that this stuff is normal -- he then cleaned it off, and it hasn't returned.

Regarding the spary of coolant I had on the inside of the PTI-side cover where the spare belt lives -- it was found that a clamp that holds the coolant hose to the top of the engine was loose. This was tightened, and all coolant issues have been resolved. It was loose on both sleds.

The dealer also found loose bolts that hold the top of the pyramid together on both sleds, and tightened them. You may want to check yours.

He reiterated again that XP-S SEMI-SYNTHETIC should be run (not Mineral ONLY, not Synth ONLY, but blend).

Regarding suspension, I substantially stiffened everything up (front A-arms are one from hardest; middle is two from hardest; rear is hardest). I saw a significant improvement in bump management, and in overall handling.

All in all, I am becoming very pleased with this sled. It has power, power, and more power. Knee pads on this sled are a must -- I may have said this before, but if you aren't using the knee pads, then you aren't riding this sled right. As I put more miles and time on it (now have 61 hours, and 1,957 miles), i get more and more comfortable and am able to really whip through almost any trail. It clearly has a weakness in trailes that are bumpy and twisty (aka, slow). The sled is a freight train to get through trails at 15 to 30 MPH. Once you hit that magic 40 to 50 MPH, it becomes very easy to manage.

Oh -- one other issue I forgot. I stopped on the side of the trail yesterday to take a break, and I happened to look under the sled. I noticed a bolt sticking halfway out of the area between the bellypan and exhaust pipe; it clearly shook loose from somewhere (no idea yet). Will report on this when I know more.

Hollar with any questions!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have noticed the black drips running down the jugs on the clutch side, is this a sealant / gasket cement ? I also had a severe coolant spray all over the clutck side panel. Doo2

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
How is the hyfax wear?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doo2 said:
I have noticed the black drips running down the jugs on the clutch side, is this a sealant / gasket cement ? I also had a severe coolant spray all over the clutck side panel. Doo2
[snapback]279165[/snapback]​
The dealer said this is probably the gasket compound that they use, and it is nothing to worry about.

I haven't a chance to look at my Hyfax wear as of yet.

·
Registered
696 Posts
doo2 said:
[snapback]279165[/snapback]​
Many Sea-doos over the years have had those black stains, too. No worries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hate to say this but it just seems that guys take their Z's to the dealers for every little thing, track tightening and loose bolts. Why waste time there, do it your self, all tracks and chain cases loosen up. Is this your first sled or something. No wonder people have mishaps and breakdowns. I have gone through every stock sled when new before putting nearly any miles on them. I have found stuck reed valves mis adjusted rave valves, with spacers o rings that don't belong, clutch misalignment, throttles and oil way off, guages loose. This is on Ski-doos even. I have two page checklist I do, on new ones. The Cat's are even far worse. Winter is too short, at least get some torque specs for your sled, and bring some wrenches with you, and a torque wrench. Then keep out of the trees with these powerhouses. Do you think the bump monkey racers would trust the factory and the dealers, they care the most about output numbers. Happy sledding!!

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
machz1000km said:
doo2 said:
MachZ990 said:
How is the hyfax wear?
[snapback]279248[/snapback]​
300 miles and mine are gone. Doo2
[snapback]279310[/snapback]​
740 miles - mine look as good as new - but I have had good snow all year
[snapback]279716[/snapback]​
Look up near the front idler wheels. Mine were down to the line in 313 miles of perfect white snow.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sharkey, I know what your saying, and it does seem that way on here. However, I have always done all my own maintenance, but when I throw down nearly $11,000 for a new sled I am not going to give anyone the oppertunity to say I messed somthing up, the day the warranty expires I'll take care of the problems myself. This doesn't mean I'm running to the dealer ever other day, but I do want them to see the worn hyfax, I want the fouled plugs documented so BRP knows whats happening, I want them to see the leaking head, I want them to check the anti freeze all over the belt storage area, I want them to reset the oil line adjustment. etc. etc. etc. ( Have I mentioned how much I love this sled, I really doo) Doo2

·
Registered
101 Posts
arubenstein said:

Today, I returned from another week in Quebec. Myself and another guy who both own a '05 Mach Z. We did about 1,150 miles in five days (for those of you who know Quebec, we did Mekinac - Roberval - Chibougamau - Senneterre - Parent - Relay 22 - La Tuque - Mekinac). Many of the days were crazy cold -- at least two of the nights we rode in, the temperature was colder than minus 20 F.

First, a few updates since my last post. After the last trip, our sleds went back to Haverstraw Motorsports. We complained about the spark plug fouling issue, which was easy, since both sleds fouled a plug at the dealer, while pulling them out of the trailer. The dealer replaced the plugs, and gave us a few spare new ones. Read on -- we needed them. They also checked the TPS and Oil pump calibration, and all was well with this.

We also had the sleds fitted with 1.25" Ripsaw's, and 144 studs (1.375 Woody's) in the pre-drilled position on the track. I found that while this track had amazing (sometimes scary) hookup in hardpack, it did take a bit off the top end -- at least it felt this way. I was hard pressed to make the sled go faster than 99 to 100 MPH (per GPS) with this track. There was a little slop on the trial (1 to 2" of fresh powder on top of hardpack) in the places that I could pin it wide open. Installed with these tracks was also a 1" tunnel protector. It seemed to me that the track was constantly hitting against the protector at anything about 50 to 70 MPH.

Within one day, the track began to ratchet pretty bad under hard acceleration -- I had it retentioned and aligned at the Chibougamou SkiDoo dealer. It was fine for several days, but began to ratchet on the last day again.

Due to poor planning (the first time), and too much wide open throttle on piston alley (the train tracks on Trail 93 between Chibougamau and Lac Quevillon), I ran out of gas twice. I found out some very interesting things about this sled regarding this. First, it will not use all of the fuel in the tank (as previously mentioned). It is a 10 gallon tank, I was never, even after running it 'dry', able to put more than 8.5 to 9 gallons in it. Also, the machine tended to bog quit a bit under acceleration and uphill during the last gallon or so. And, most importantly, if you run the tank dry, the fuel pump (at least for me) does not have enough lift to pull gas back into the injector rails if you only put a gallon or so back in the tank. The only way I could the fuel pump primed again was by being towed to the fuel station, and filling the tank. It then fired right back up.

Regarding plug fouling. I am becoming more convinced it has something to do with cold temperature. Every time (except once) that it has fouled plugs, it has been brutally cold (less than 0 F). We fouled a couple set of plugs. My friend fouled one plug after a 45 to 60 minute stop in -20 F weather; we both fouled a morning after the sleds stayed out in -28 F weather. We both fouled again this morning in 10 F weather. When the sled fouls, it appears to be either ONLY the PTO side, or both. Never JUST the brake side. I don't know what this means, but, if SkiDoo is reading this, take note.

During our time in Quebec, I ran into a few other Mach Z owners, however, I only had the chance to speak to one in Lac Faillon. I had asked him if he was having fouling problems, and he said that it was happening constantly until he had the (and I quote) "computer updated at his dealer", and changed his gapping to .018".

I immediately called my dealer from Quebec to tell him what I had learned, and he said he would look into it. He came back to me after talking to SkiDoo tech in Wisconsin that there was definately NO computer update. My dealer WAS told my SkiDoo Tech Support that we should try switching to BR8ECS, and gap at .018", and 'see what happens.'

Further to the 'black stuff' dripping down the side of the engine block, he was talkd by tech support that this stuff is normal -- he then cleaned it off, and it hasn't returned.

Regarding the spary of coolant I had on the inside of the PTI-side cover where the spare belt lives -- it was found that a clamp that holds the coolant hose to the top of the engine was loose. This was tightened, and all coolant issues have been resolved. It was loose on both sleds.

The dealer also found loose bolts that hold the top of the pyramid together on both sleds, and tightened them. You may want to check yours.

He reiterated again that XP-S SEMI-SYNTHETIC should be run (not Mineral ONLY, not Synth ONLY, but blend).

Regarding suspension, I substantially stiffened everything up (front A-arms are one from hardest; middle is two from hardest; rear is hardest). I saw a significant improvement in bump management, and in overall handling.

All in all, I am becoming very pleased with this sled. It has power, power, and more power. Knee pads on this sled are a must -- I may have said this before, but if you aren't using the knee pads, then you aren't riding this sled right. As I put more miles and time on it (now have 61 hours, and 1,957 miles), i get more and more comfortable and am able to really whip through almost any trail. It clearly has a weakness in trailes that are bumpy and twisty (aka, slow). The sled is a freight train to get through trails at 15 to 30 MPH. Once you hit that magic 40 to 50 MPH, it becomes very easy to manage.

Oh -- one other issue I forgot. I stopped on the side of the trail yesterday to take a break, and I happened to look under the sled. I noticed a bolt sticking halfway out of the area between the bellypan and exhaust pipe; it clearly shook loose from somewhere (no idea yet). Will report on this when I know more.

[snapback]279112[/snapback]​
I have been planing to purchase a 05 mach. however lately ive been reading things on this forum that make me leary. im looking for some feedback. please help me justify $10.000 for this ski doo thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
carmotive said:
arubenstein said:

[snapback]279112[/snapback]​
I have been planing to purchase a 05 mach. however lately ive been reading things on this forum that make me leary. im looking for some feedback. please help me justify $10.000 for this ski doo thanks
[snapback]280072[/snapback]​
Regardless of the problems, I love this sled, wouldn't trade it. Must remember, it sounds like a lot of problems on here but your only hearing of the bad stuff. Doo2

·
Registered
678 Posts
ARUBENSTEIN

Could this be do to the height position of the fuel pump? I have heard of people having a boggy type feeling when tank was low also. Just food for thought ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts