Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...

I have a 2005 500SS GSX (Red). I have a little over 2000 miles on it and the rear suspension is deffinately blownout! Does anyone have any suggestions. If there is any way possible I would like to actually raise the rear ud up and stiffen the suspension up. I am 150lb rider and hate when I bottom out...

Any help greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Well it really depends on how much money you want to spend.

The shocks are likely toast, a good set of rebuildable standard hpg's would do the trick for you, along with some better torsion springs. But you could have $500.00 into that setup. Torsion springs are about 65.00 and will help, but no matter what, your on bought time with the shocks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hello All...

I have a 2005 500SS GSX (Red). I have a little over 2000 miles on it and the rear suspension is deffinately blownout! Does anyone have any suggestions. If there is any way possible I would like to actually raise the rear ud up and stiffen the suspension up. I am 150lb rider and hate when I bottom out...

Any help greatly appreciated...
gsx sled generally have light torsion springs in them for a better ride quality . but i assume your bottoming out . shock may be the problem but if you go to your skidoo dealer have them look up the 2 -up option springs you'll be a lot happier .

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well it really depends on how much money you want to spend.

The shocks are likely toast, a good set of rebuildable standard hpg's would do the trick for you, along with some better torsion springs. But you could have $500.00 into that setup. Torsion springs are about 65.00 and will help, but no matter what, your on bought time with the shocks.
Like Eater has said... you need new Torsions and new Shocks.

I called Ian @ Monster Performance for my shock needs.. at the time I spent $350 on a set of used and rebuilt/revalved HPG Shocks. I went with -522 / -524 torsions and I also bought BC3's torsion spring spacers... no more bottoming and the sled handles great!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have the same exact sled, I weigh 200 lbs. Like the comments above, your shocks are gone. Check with Ian at Monster Performance or Hygear Suspension, both do majic with shocks. I seriously doubt that your torsion springs need to be replaced. Stock springs are for a higher weight, well above your 150 lbs. Besides, torsion springs set the proper ride height, which you can sheck even with bad shocks. Rev's are better set up softer in most's opinion. If you are not using full shock travel, with an OCCASIONAL bottom out, you are too stiff. Let the suspension do its work for you!

You want to measure the height at the rear bumper first unladen and then with you sitting in it, front and rear. I don't have the majic number it is supposed to be off hand but do a little research. If you put in a beefier torsion spring you will regret it. The ride will be to ruff/stiff when you put on some rebuilt HPG's. But I would put on the torsion spring spacers from Bob on here under Stuff bu Doo Talkers. It is a big nylon spacer that fits inside of the coiled section of torsion spring, keeping the spring streight so it will do it's job better.

Again, rebuilt shocks and torsion spring spacers is what I recommend.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who replied with suggestions... It sounds like Im gonna need to spend some money! Uggg...

Thanks
Brian Carr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts