Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and have a couple of questions; Wondering if I can get some solid advice please.

I purchased a 2004 Summit 800HO Adrenaline used with 2450 kms. Have done the basic maintenance and checks. Ready to go out for a ride with my son and have a couple of issues.

1. Starts up and idles fine. Warm up and have taken for a small ride to make sure everything is working as it should. After about 30 minutes of riding the top of the beaver tail is extremely hot. I can barely touch with my hand. Is this normal?

2. The coolant reservoir bottle neck opening is in the shape of an egg. I did not notice this before but did not look too close. Coolant leaks out and I have to add more after the last couple of test rides. The last time I took out for a ride the cap pretty much blew right off and coolant went everywhere.

3. The temperature light came on one time only and has not come on since. I checked for a sensor on the top of the thermostat housing and it looks like the last owner installed a plug. Should I install a new sensor or should I install a gauge?

Before I put anymore money into the machine I thought I would ask for some advice. I have read that if the head gasket has failed, this can cause air to get into the coolant system causing boiling and overheating. Would the beaver tail extreme heat be caused by this as well as the egg shaped reservoir bottle neck opening?

Or, if the bottle was egg shaped previously and the cap does not fit properly, can this cause issues and overheating? Can the overheating cause the egg shaped issue after one ride?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
The fact that the top of the tunnel is getting hot is a good sign. It means coolant is circulating as it should. If the cap does not seal to the coolant bottle, you’re going to have overheating issues as the system relies on keeping the coolant under pressure to stop it from boiling. No seal equals no pressure, equals boiling, equals air in the system and overheating. There were aftermarket inserts available to help hold the shape of the neck of the coolant bottle. As a sure fix I would suggest you just replace the bottle with new. That should ensure a good seal to the cap and the system can build pressure as intended. The plug in the top of the water outlet is factory. An aftermarket temp gauge could be installed in that location if you wish.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Proceed by fixing the obvious repairs such as the egg shape coolant bottle....etc....and see what performance improves on the sled. Then move onto the next repair.....

As mentioned, your problem with the coolant bottle isn't unique and there are others that have had success with an insert in the neck. There is also one for the oil reservoir if needed.

You'll need to elevate the front of your sled to bleed the air out of the cooling system once you correct the stand out issues like the coolant bottle. There are lots of videos on bleeding air out.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
If the neck of the coolant reservoir was warmed up with a heat gun and the insert installed correctly, there’s a real good chance of it fixing the issue. I suggested the bottle replacement as it’s a sure thing instead of waiting to receive the inset only to not be successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts